I heard that standard Doom 3 is a lot better than the BFG edition, atmospheric and scary-wise. So is that worth spending some extra money on?

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

The old "atmospheric" lighting can be restored in BFG Edition by editing some of the game files. But you can carry a gun and a flashlight at the same time in BFG edition and it cannot be reverted back. It's more convenient but it goes against some of Doom 3's original level design and makes the game less scary.

1 decade ago

DOOM was never a scary game to begin with, so it being "less scary" is more of a bonus than a loss. I mean 1 and 2 were crazy fun action fps's so it being more in line with those is a good thing.

1 decade ago

I agree but feel like it doens't suit it here, you aren't fast enough in Doom 3 to make it feel like the old dooms.

1 decade ago

Recently played the BFG edition and seemed almost no difference except the flashlight but it's a pain. Only lasts 30s and then 3s to recharge. Annoyed me not being able to use some the texture/graphics and sound mods. If was to play again I'd get my old boxed copies out and use some those mods instead but having BFG already hard to say buy again :-/

1 decade ago

To my knowledge, BFG Edition can't do mods but the Original Doom 3 can (correct me if i'm wrong).
But even somehow the BFG Edition could, there are ALOT of mods for Original Doom 3 that you could use to make the game look and play WAY better than the BFG edition.

For the BFG Edition, The Lost Mission is short and not really worth it.
Doom 1 / Doom 2 are censored so no point in getting butchered versions of those.

Regular Doom 3 is still way better than the BFG Edition.
If I had a better video card, I would run the Doom 3 Sikkmod (which i heard looks way better than BFG Edition anyway).

So yes, for only $3.74, Original Doom 3 and RoE Pack is worth it.
You can also use a 3rd party mod to play Coop in Doom 3 also. Keep that in mind.

1 decade ago

But would it be worth it if I already own BFG Edition? Because I don't know if it would seem like just a waste of money or not if I already own the game, albeit somewhat "dumbed down"

1 decade ago

I think it would be worth it (I bought the game retail i think within the year it came out).
I had also gotten the game on steam later on from the id super pack (it was MAJORLY on sale then).

And No, the BFG VERSION is dumbed down, the Original Doom 3 is much better.
Them including Doom 1 and Doom 2 means nothing since they are censored (besides, it would be best to play that in a modern source port like Zdoom or GZdoom anyway.)

According to X-Fire it says i've played over 134 hours of Doom 3. (Steam Version around 18 hours)

Again, yes it would be worth the $3.74. You're actually getting it for a steal for that price.

RoE while it did lack on some things, they did change things up also (new enemies and guns).
It might take a little bit to get used to the Artifact (since you won't have the Soul Cube).

The RoE Expansion at least to me, was harder than Doom 3 (but some people like that older-school hardened gameplay).

1 decade ago

That, and (correct me if I'm wrong) you can't use BFG's versions of Doom 1 and 2 in source ports, and they're incompatible with WADs, so even less reason to get it.

1 decade ago

I think you can, but no point in a butchered version of it.

And I took the Original Doom 2 wad and the BFG Edition Doom 2.wad, and "Fixed" their censored parts.
(Using XWE Editor, copied things from the Untouched Doom 2 and replaced them in the BFG Doom 2 wad.

Now all Medkits are back to normal, and Maps31 and Map32 (Nazi Levels) are back to how they SHOULD have been.
I had to copy a few more things over, but it wasn't alot (extra menu things).

And me doing this, it still worked in the BFG Edition (Had a friend try it since i don't own the BFG and had no interest in it).

I had both the Doom Collector's Edition as well as All the Original Doom's from the Super Id Pack which helped me edit the "cut" .wad with the original's.

1 decade ago

I see, thanks for clearing that up.

1 decade ago

good info, wasn't know that is possible. cheers.

1 decade ago

Yeah, they were very lazy when they "edited" it.

They just copied various walls so any nazi walls looked like basic walls.
And the SS sprites (i think along with the dehacked file) were edited to be zombiemen.

And of course them editing the medkits was also pathetic.
Red Cross doesn't have the copyright to the +.

I think i heard some country's flag also has a red cross.
They could just say they used it from that.

1 decade ago

What about the Doom Classic Complete pack on Steam? Are these censored versions of the games or the way they originally were?

1 decade ago

No, I think they are just censored in the BFG Edition.

1 decade ago

You're right, Classic Complete is not modified for Steam. Thanks!

1 decade ago

Well, I went ahead and grabbed DooM 3 PAck and DooM Classic Complete. After installing Sikkmod with Wulfen texture pack, and replacing DosBox with GZDoom, I can safely say that it was indeed a good purchace

1 decade ago

Yeah, GZDoom is more fun than vanilla doom (I also use it with the Brutal Doom mod).

You can also use the doom.wad / doom2.wad / tnt.wad / plutonia.wad to play doom online with Zandronum.
(I just copied them from the steam game directories and put them in the Zandronum folder so they were all there in 1 place, but you could always just manually set those as the .wad folder)

Due to my shitty video card [ATI Radeon HD 4650 (DDR2 1 GB)] I can't really use Sikkmod since it lags too much with me (low fps).
(Yes i know it need an upgrade. Trying to save up to get an AMD HD Radeon R9 270X 4GB so I could play pretty much anything.)

Both of those Doom 3 mods were fine but the 1 thing i didn't like, was the Imp's sound changes.
I prefer the regular Imp sounds.

Don't forget about the Doom 3 Coops (Links Below):
Last Man Standing
Doom 3 Open Coop

1 decade ago

What would happen with DOOM 3 and DOOM 3 RoE from BFG edition that you already have in your library when you buy DOOM 3 Pack?

1 decade ago

Nothing.

1 decade ago

I dont think so. A better version is supposed to be better so keep just that.

1 decade ago

Well "supposed to be better" isn't the same as "is better"

1 decade ago

So im horribly wrong then, i regret for liking the game and wishing to have it.

1 decade ago

It really isnt though.

1 decade ago

Well, my mistake then...

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by Za21.