I am new to this a bit, so I have set less of a puzzle than a good old fashioned quiz. Since I was giving away an oldish computer roleplaying game (the first Gothic was first released in Germany in 2001), I thought it would be nice to take people through a history of personal computer role playing games. Because of my predilections, I am also focused on western RPGs, and do not include the RPGs developing in the far east.

Because it is PC, I specifically exclude earlier, mainframe releases such as dungeon on the PDP-11. I also exclude from this history games hosted on other platforms but played on PCs. Islands of Kesmai brought in a truckload of money when played on Compuserve or GEnie in the 1980's, but it is basically a VAX game. But most of the classics in the evolution of the computer role-playing game as we know it now, are here. I should add that there are no questions about anything released in the early 90s. The rise of the CD-ROM, basically relegated CRPG's to a backwater, and there were few significant releases for years, until in the mid-90s a few brave firms demonstrated that there really was a market for these. So the questions really run from releases in the early 80s up until 1999, shortly before Gothic came along.

Enjoy, have fun.

http://www.itstoohard.com/puzzle/2bxF3LOh

8 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

The puzzle is strong with this one!

8 years ago

open the link > see it > Close it
XD i give up :P

8 years ago

Got all but #2...pretty sure I have the right answer. Can you check it or add me on Steam?

8 years ago*

OK will check now, and add you on Steam

8 years ago

OK, I have checked and the answer is what I thought. Took it backwards to validate. I remember that game very well. At one point to get past a barrier you need a magic word, and one of the characters indicated that their mother had told them the word when they were small. So I went back to that character's home village, went hunting for their mother, and spent a good few hours banging my head against a brick wall. The answer was of course "Please".

8 years ago

And bump for solved - thanks for adding the US title! :)

8 years ago

Cool. I found question 2 the hardest.

Bump for solved.

8 years ago

Interesting. I thought it would be Q9, or Q11, or possibly Q12 that would be the hardest. I did go back and add the publisher to Q9, to make it easier to search for, but that game has not maintained the same reputation that most of the others on the list have kept.

8 years ago

Solved, but had to work hard for it.

8 years ago

bump for solved :)

8 years ago

i learned so much..
BUMP for solved

8 years ago

Bump for solved!

8 years ago

Bump

8 years ago

Bump for "solved and surprised I made it into the top 10 in an 'old' topic"...

8 years ago

Bump for solved. I saved the game don't worry

8 years ago

21.5 hours to go now.

8 years ago

Bump for solved.

8 years ago

That was fun, have a bump.