Should I report it if I discover that someone has won one of my giveaways and marked it received but it is not showing in their list of steam games which means they did not activate it to their account.

If I understand the rules correctly you must activate everything you win to the account used to win it.

8 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Yes.

8 years ago

+1

8 years ago

+1

8 years ago

Wait 7 days, and if it still doesn't show up then yes, report it.

8 years ago

This. They have 7 days to activate it, and same 7 days to mark as received. If they mark as received, but still not activated after 7 days, then report.

8 years ago

no, you have 7 days to activate it and mark it. once you have marked it,as recieved, you must have it activated allready

8 years ago

No, you have to still wait for 7 days, even if he/she marked it as received. At first I thought like you, it is what makes sense, but support says you have to wait for the 7 days anyway

8 years ago

Wait, so you have 7 days to mark it as recieved and THEN you have another 7 days to activate it?

8 years ago

No, no, they are the same 7 days.
You have 7 days to mark it as received and activate it.

8 years ago

But within the 7 days, can you mark it as recieved without activating it?

8 years ago

You can mark it as received the first day, and wait for other 6 days to activate it. Why? I don't know, but you can.

8 years ago

One possible scenario could be that you see the key there or received the Steam gift notification via email but you are not in your computer (maybe traveling for some days) as to actually try and activate the key/gift.
On a side note; SteamGifts allows for feedback changing I believe, so if the receiver part founds any problem with the gift it may still change the feedback.

8 years ago

True, I sometimes mark as received (if the key is shown), for the gifter not to wait. And then I activate it a few hours later, as I couldn't from my phone.

8 years ago

It appears that it's possible to be suspended for not activating a gift in that scenario. It might depend on which support person sees the ticket, but yesterday a user got suspended for not activating a Received key although it was still inside the 7-day window. Granted, if it's just a few hours, it seems unlikely to be a problem...but just letting you know. =)

8 years ago*

Apparently the re-roll was likely for a separate unrelated infraction. Never mind, and sorry to provide false info. =(

8 years ago

to avoid misunderstandings and wastes of time probably.

8 years ago

A simple example: If I win a region-restricted gift while traveling I might be unable to activate it, but I can have it in my inventory and mark the gift as received for the GA creator to get his CV. Then, I'm activating the game if I'm back in home region within 7 days.

Actually, an important piece of information for me %)

8 years ago

FWIW, I've had a re-roll approved for somebody who had a game marked received, but the GA had ended only 4 days before.

8 years ago

A re-roll? Was it a gift then? Because if you re-roll a key, you can't be sure if it is still working (the winner could sell/trade it already)

8 years ago

Sorry-- I should clarify. Somebody won my GA. I took a look at their SG profile, and I noticed a non-activated win for a GA that ended 4 days ago. So I requested a re-roll for my GA, which was approved. Above, people have been saying you can mark Received and activate within the 7-day period. But if that's (always) the case, then they shouldn't have approved my re-roll at least not for another 3 days. Or maybe Support made a mistake.
[Edit: and now he's suspended for 4 days.]

8 years ago

Mmmm it seems it depends on which support member checks your ticket. To be pretty sure your ticket is going to be accepted I would wait for the 7 days, as I'm doing currently (Windows' sticky notes are useful for reminding you to report him).

8 years ago

FWIW, I like how my support guy interpreted the rules (and not just because it "benefitted" me). I think that marking Received should mean you activated the game. Shouldn't you check that the key works before saying you received it? If nothing else, it makes it easier to detect non-activators. =)

8 years ago

FWIW I think the same

8 years ago

Turns out the re-roll & suspension was probably for multiple wins of the same game a couple of months ago (which I didn't report). In the past they've communicated to me that a re-roll was granted for a different reason than I asked for...but not this time.

8 years ago

Are you sure there wasn't something else, like mutiple wins of the same game ?

8 years ago

Hmm...interesting. I reported the non-activation, but they could have been suspended for something else. In the past they've communicated that to me, but I know they're busy. Not sure how long it would take to type, "Re-roll approved due to multiple wins of the same game" versus just "Re-roll approved," but hey...not my decision.
Nice sleuthing.

8 years ago

It's faster to reroll without explaining the exact reason :)

8 years ago

Yes I do understand-- it's okay. But in this case, it resulted in a user who spread misinformation about the rules. The better solution, of course, is for the Received/7-day rule to be clarified in the Guidelines or FAQ. Unless I've missed it, it talks about marking Received within 7 days, and only activating to your own account, but nothing about activating within 7 days.

8 years ago

Yes, it could have been worded better.

8 years ago

Yes

8 years ago

the winner can both mark as received and not received during 7 days, so it's better to wait 7 days to be 100% sure.

8 years ago

You cannot mark as not received before a week has passed since the giveaway ended, since it is the delay given to the creator to deliver the gift.

8 years ago

can you can unmark the received game?

8 years ago

Yes, you can set it back to "Awaiting feedback", but you can't mark it not received before the week has passed.

8 years ago

then i was just 99% wrong. yay me, not as bad as i expected!

View attached image.
8 years ago

You cant activate codes on your phone but you can mark it received on your phone.

8 years ago

I'm not sure if this changes things, but a few times I've reported people who've won a game, not activated it, then still within the 7-day window they've given it away and the next winner has marked as received. In my opinion that's strong enough evidence of regifting but I would guess that support would still allow them 7 days to be consistent.

8 years ago

Sadly it is not enough evidence. But after 7 days if he still don't activate it you can report him for not activating + regifting

8 years ago

Nice... I was suspended for not activating at 5th day

8 years ago

7 days to die

8 years ago

Yep.

8 years ago

Also, it might be worth mentioning, that before bothering support about it, it's nice to send a polite reminder to the winner to activate the game. You have their email address, their Steam profile, and possibly a Steamgifts comment to use to contact them. Especially if they're a new user, they would probably appreciate the friendly advice over getting a temporary suspension.

8 years ago

What if they have other non-activated giveaways?

8 years ago

Use one's discretion I guess. I didn't look at the OP's giveaways so I don't know who we're talking about, and I'm away from PC now so can't help.

8 years ago

account: registered 1 month ago, 5 wins, 3 unactivated...

8 years ago

Scumbags 'gonna scum...

8 years ago

ok thanks guys i'll let the 7 days elapse then and just put a reminder in my phone to check it after that.

8 years ago

To be honest, when I first started steamgifts, I didn't realize you had to activate it and just left it in gifts until I found out you were supposed to activate it, so I think a friendly reminder would be good

8 years ago

Looking at the steamgifts rules I don't see a time limit for activation though =P
"Won gifts should be activated to the Steam account used during registration, and they should not be regifted, traded, or sold."

But there should be a rule made for it I guess, makes it easier to tell if someone is being shady & not going to activate it. Only problem doing that if someone is on holiday they wont be able to activate till they get back home which could be quite sometime so maybe it ain't worth worrying about IDK

8 years ago*

Deleted

This comment was deleted 8 years ago.

8 years ago*

Hmm interesting how come there isn't anything in the Guidelines about this, but how this is worded sounds like they sent the gift but they haven't had no contact back from the winner saying they have received it, if it marked as received that would be classified as communication. This question seems to be about if you can't contact the winner & they haven't received it & you want to spin the wheel for a new winner to get it instead.

8 years ago

FAQ implies a 7-day interval to some extent, see paragraphs "The winner has not redeemed my gift, and I'm unable to get into contact with them. How do I proceed?" and "The winner has redeemed my gift, but not marked it received. How do I proceed?"

Well, I was late.

8 years ago

damn, deleted because i edited it 3 times and i still can't find where it is xD

it's getting late, i'm going to bed -_-

8 years ago

lol just replied to you deleted reply

8 years ago

<deleted> Replied to wrong message. (I hate mobile computing.)

8 years ago*

It's also annoying when someone doesn't mark as received and doesn't activate, even three days after winning and despite having logged on here several times during that period (even online now..)
Can't send a comment here as their 1 giveaway was invite, and they didn't comment on any of their 42 wins... lol.
So, email sent, comment on Steam left.. shall see what happens.

8 years ago

Maybe he/she is from their phone.

8 years ago

That could be, but then would be nice to think they could drop a comment on the giveaway page just to say 'hey, I'll activate when I get back from holiday / work / sleep' or whatever :D

8 years ago

Exactly NickN5!!!
The best solution is whitelist, invite only & small groups.

8 years ago

Well yes,but he hasnt comment on his 42 wins he comment on this ;P

8 years ago

"Winners should correctly mark their gift as received or not received within one week of the giveaway closing."

He has seven days to do his part.

8 years ago

I have this issue with one of my winners.He marked as receive but i did see it on his steam account,he has about ten days to login on steam.I request for new winner but steamgift support told me to wait to pass the 7 days.After the seven days i talk again with the support and they told me that i should be know that maybe my key was used or trade.The reroll done and my new winner enjoy his game.For my good luck my key was working.And he gets banned for non activating.As the others say wait for seven days and then report him.But you have to wait too long.

8 years ago

It would have sucked if they key was used though >.<

8 years ago

Yes but i'm willing to take that risk.It was invite only so first i contact with the new winner told him how things have and he was ok if the key didnt work,he just press the not receive button.But i got lucky,if i was making it open maybe i dont do it ;)

8 years ago

hmm looked at one of my past winners & none of the 9 games they have won are on their account & one of the games they won, I see the had a trade offer for hmmm fishy...

also reminds me I should start making some more giveaways

8 years ago

You should remind him to redeem the game. One time I forgot to redeem a won game in a week and I was suspended automatically, you don't need report for this I think.

8 years ago

There's no automated system for suspensions. If someone is suspended for not redeeming a game, there is almost certainly a report behind it.

8 years ago

Or a Support Staff member who caught it, somehow....

8 years ago

Give it a week, remind him that it must be activated else he gets b&, then report.

8 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.