From the FAQ: The maximum number of points that can be banked is 300. This is to prevent users from stocking up on points while being away for long periods of time.

I was thinking while this is effective regarding people being away for long periods of time, it also has a negative effect which is people entering whatever games because they might feel they're wasting points otherwise (I know, its stupid, but I think it actually happens). Wouldn't it be a better solution not to have a cap limit so people wouldn't enter games they don't really want and solve the problem of inactive accounts by granting every log in to the site a x days period where point receiving is enabled?

I didn't gave much thought so flaws might be expected, nevertheless, what do you guys think?

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

It's fine.

1 decade ago

My points are always 0~10.

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

1 decade ago

I've been at 300 for a while.

The only things I enter are bundles and Nexuiz.

(also wishlist games)

1 decade ago

I only get below 300 when a game that I want gets a discount and everyone makes a giveaway for it.

1 decade ago

yesterday my points were buggy i had 320 points for about 5 mins before it switched back to 300

1 decade ago

Actually by making a cap people only really enter the games they really want. You only have 300 points, why use them on games you don't want. That is my thought at least.

1 decade ago

I guess it works that way when people have few points but not when they have 2xx... I don't know.

1 decade ago

I see it both ways as well. It depends how people want to use them.

1 decade ago

If I have a lot of points I tend to invest them in games I would have second thoughts about if I have only few points...
...but I wouldn't enter a game which I will never play so the current way is OK for me and I think makes more sense than without cap - otherwise you have thousands of points and are even more likely to join games you wouldn't play.

1 decade ago

Eh... I used to think that way, but now I'm pretty lazy so I just let the points be. First few months I found out about SteamGifts, I entered every game I thought I "might" play. Now I only enter games I will play 100% for sure.

1 decade ago

I can't get rid of 300 points.

1 decade ago

This is a joke, but maybe conversion system: every xx points you can exchange for contribution points. Eg. 10 points for 1 contributor points.

1 decade ago

Convert something free into something you get for giving away games you bought with your hard earned dosh?

1 decade ago

That's what I do in Team Fortress 2. Stack up dropped weapons and later on convert them into keys and later get a game! Got Deus Ex Collection and Crysis 2 MAX from doing that. I might later just save up and get a game for a giveaway here because being nice makes my heart feel warm :3

1 decade ago

Be serious. 1 $ bundle - several steam keys and you can get 10-15 CP (now you get only 20 %), 75-90 % Steam discounts 1 - 5 $ but you get full price CP (Rome spam, Train Simulator 2013 spam), free copy (Torchlight spam, The Ship spam).
Etc. etc. 95 % SG members don`t feel real gifts idea. Only how to get CP at the lowest cost and enter high CP value giweaways. Someone may not agree but that's how it looks.

1 decade ago

I really wouldn't care if the guy who bought a game for me did it with the sole purpose of having a higher CP: he still bought a game I will enjoy and for that I am thankful.

1 decade ago

No

1 decade ago

NO.jpg

1 decade ago

Come on people, stop suggesting on how to improve the point system! It's quite fine as it is... 300 is not too many and not too little. People will always find a way to win something they don't really want.

1 decade ago

Discussed to death. No.

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by carizcoiso.