I'm not sure If this is something old but you can redeem steam keys without using the dashes they come with
!(https://imgur.com/a/lC2lrOb)

1 month ago

Comment has been collapsed.

is this new or am i just dumb

View Results
it is new
you are dumb
potato

I did not know you could, so at least your post was useful to someone!

Thank you Bhns :)

1 month ago

No problems, I was messing around and found it interesting.

We need an expert to confirm if this is new tho or not lol.

1 month ago

I never even had idea to try that

1 month ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 month ago.

1 month ago

That code you mark has 16 characters, not 15. It has been there as long as I remember, I doubt it's an uncorrected error. In any case they would have noted it as AAAAABBBBBCCCCC, I guess.

1 month ago

I think I saw that code format once when was possible generate steam keys for owned games on origin store. But I don't remember number of characters tbh.

1 month ago

Alright color me shocked

1 month ago

It's pretty old... i think i try for the first time 2/3 years and it was already working :)
you can replace - by a space too and it work

1 month ago

Not new- a lot of sites ignore the dashes in codes, serial number, bank account numbers, etc.

1 month ago

Where is the "I am dumb" option? I have been redeeming keys for so many years and have never noticed they have dashes because I tend to blindly copy them. I had to take a second look at my extra keys, and sure enough!

1 month ago

Good to know

1 month ago

Not new. You also don't have to capitalize the letters. It doesn't even matter if you replace zeroes with o-s.

1 month ago

You can also redeem a key using nothing but dashes.

1 month ago

Each time you redeem a key without using the dash Gaben doing squats ;)

1 month ago

More like "eats a donut". That would at least explain some things.

1 month ago

How did nobody know this? I always redeem my keys without the dash, much easier to organize them that way.

1 month ago

Now that surprises me. Organising sounds like redeeming multiple keys at once or storing leftovers in a spreadsheet. And that would be usually done via copy/paste. At which point do you lose the dashes? Or do you redeem a lot of keys from retail boxes, so you have to do it manually?

1 month ago

I remove all dashes from keys I attain through Humble Bundle, Fanatical and et cetera. Dashes in game keys are just very unusual to look at, I more of just do it because of personal preference. I write all my game keys down on a piece of paper and no key I want to keep is stored on my personal computer. I do keep some keys on my computer WITH dashes but those are the ones I do not intend to keep myself, mostly for trades and giveaways.

I don't even know why I do this, just force of habit I guess. It's easier to list keys alphabetically that way.

1 month ago

I see. If you only have Steam keys, it doesn't hurt. GoG keys are without anyway, but EA and Ubisoft Connect have different formats, so you can easily differ between the DRMs due to the dashes.

It's easier to list keys alphabetically that way.

Although I add them in their correct alphabetical place manually, Excel (or in my case OpenOffice Calc) would easily sort them automatically.

1 month ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 month ago.

1 month ago

This is a Steam key (already used) BBRB7CDRWAJCRG7D 05

1 month ago

I had known this maybe when I started using Steam several years ago.

1 month ago

I learned about this a few years ago from comments on this very forum, apparently the dashes are just there to make it easier to input the codes when copying by hand since it's easier to notice a character missing in a set of five than on a string of fifteen.

1 month ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.