Just noticed, as I finished watching a movie and wanted to look up, what kind of shitposting was going on in the IMDb
forums. As i'd usually do just to satisfy my curiosity and maybe see the question answered i didn't even need/have ...

Probably a good article: https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/02/rip-imdb-message-boards.html
“When a site has 250 million users, then even if a small vocal minority frequents the boards, it will feel that there is activity in the boards…if the user activity has been declining, and the monetizing potential was not there, then it makes sense that Amazon would let that activity migrate to Facebook and Twitter,” Ipeirotis said.

Personally i don't overly care for sites/news where common users can't slam out their opinion, no matter how pointless/stupid/unqualified -
while still in the framework of a civilized manner to express their free speech which is already restrained by all sorts of conformations.

Too bad ... i see IMDb for myself soon to be substituted by a another site that more or less offers the same, which no doubt there already is, but i haven't bothered to look else - rotten tomatoes maybe? Oh yeah movie watched: Arrival 2016 - quite nice, liked it. Feel free to post your opinion, thoughts and conspiracies why they opted to shut it down ... and if you'd know a IMDb alternative.

Btw. aren't movie trailers the worst spoilers imaginable? Unlike games, there is no gameplay - but a story development
which kinda gives a lot away, if your somewhat attentive and you're not viewing The Fast and the Furious Movie Trailer. /ö/

edit: suggested alternatives posted in replies:
https://www.themoviedb.org/ | | https://moviechat.org/ | | https://simkl.com/tv/ | | https://trakt.tv/

7 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

A good development?

View Results
yes
no
don't care

Not happy with this movement.

I hardly used the forums but I liked from time to time to check what people had to say reagarding a film I had just seen.

7 years ago

Checking those was part of my post-watching routine, and that's a lot of information they deleted from this DataBase of theirs.

Considering moviechat.org seems to be the continuation of this though, I guess it's not hard to just go there. Just gotta find out if I can reuse my old account / have my new posts count as the same identity.

7 years ago*

I've never used the forum, but I do feel that this is a stupid/assholeish decision.

7 years ago

I noticed this a few weeks ago. Boards were generally bad with general shit posts but there were a lot of actual posts too.. which they decided to purge in that decision. Should have just kept them open, and prevented new posting.. at least.

No more convenient answers to find there now or to read quick explanations.

7 years ago

I didn't even know they had a forum. I just use the site to find out who plays in what.

7 years ago

Same here. Not enough of a movie fan to be on any dedicated movie forums like those.

7 years ago

Used to check the forums too, and was surprised by this change. I don't enter IMDB as often as before.

7 years ago

I boycott IMDb since then :3

7 years ago

Good decision - given the bounty of alternatives. :-)

7 years ago*

You and me both. I'm tired of websites getting rid of shit just to be "politically correct" (as if there is such a fucking thing)
Been using The Movie Database since the boycott.

I still get cast information, reviews, discussions, plus trailers and other media.

7 years ago*

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

7 years ago

Can't win an argument? Why not shut it down to channel that activity elsewhere, preferably somewhere its "policed" already...
it couldn't have gotten more obvious and blatant as in the recent US election - also with Brexit and its fear campaign(s) not to say there isn't exaggeration on both sides of the aisle, which you should be familiar with.

Reddit is notorious for its regressive leftist censorship of unpleasant media/posts. Facebook and the completely deranged Tumblr ... not even worth mentioning. Now even Youtube/Google likely in cooperation with TV-stations is following suit by "passively" silencing channels, by reducing the unrestricted reach and demonetization.

In IMDb's case however it might just be saving the bucks ... as they couldn't draw blood from it.

View attached image.
7 years ago*

I wondered where it went.. had some good info in too, insanely stupid move

and yea Twitter a good alternative, idiots..

7 years ago

7 years ago

Very nice, even the design looks like IMDb, might check that out.

7 years ago

it's no coincidence. they even carried the old imdb posts over there.

7 years ago

On a cursory glance I had on alternatives this looked like it had the best future.
I don't care if it's this one, but I hope there will be a site that many ppl of imdb will be using. There was so much extra info on the message boards even, or especially, for older and smaller films...
Boycotting imdb and as much as I can looking for alternatives for amazon.

7 years ago

I've been using IMDB since the 90s and never once have I used the forums. Very much 'don't care' then, I guess. :) I don't even read reviews that often, so to me all that social media crap ;) is totally useless and goodriddance.

7 years ago

Didn't even have an account there ... although some crap movies almost made create one.
Strange how you managed not to take a peek into the discussions - whats the angle? :D

7 years ago

The forums were really useful in the case you didn't understand what happened in the movie. It was especially fun to read the forum threads related to crappy movies. I'm going to miss the forums.

7 years ago

Didn't use it much, but yeah it caught my eye at once - like reading the printed paper news once in a
while and noticing he funnies-column is missing ... Doubt IMDb will be the same without it.

7 years ago

Didn't know it existed, can't imagine it'd be a great place to visit so I can't say I care too much. As for alternatives, I don't know how new it is but based on how many votes movies get so far it seem relatively new, but I recently came across Simkl.com and I absolutely love it. For those familiar with MyAnimeList, this basically offers the same function but for Anime, TV and Movies which is something I've wanted for a long long time. Now you can see how much of your life you've really thrown away in front of the TV. I'm still updating my list nonstop because god damn it's hard to remember everything you've watched from scratch, but so far I'm up to 107 days. They also have a Chrome plugin so that it automatically syncs and updates your list any time you watch something there.

View attached image.
7 years ago

Looks interesting, thanks for sharing.

7 years ago

Looks like https://trakt.tv/. I might give Simkl a try too, but I'm actually very satisfied with what trakt has to offer.
I created my trakt account last December and have been updating since then too. Currently: 111d 12h 41m just for tv shows.

I wish imdb would have an API that allows exchanges of ratings with media players or other databases. That annoys me far more than the loss of the forums.

Edit: Sweet import function from trakt to Simkl. But rather bad that single episodes aren't part of the service yet.

View attached image.
7 years ago*

Oh. Well that's neat. Yeah hadn't heard of trakt. Shame they didn't have MAL support, had to add everything manually.

Not sure what you mean by single episodes not being part of the service, like selecting individual episodes that you've watched rather than the entire thing? You can definitely do it from the front page of the series, see the image below, my current progress on Narcos. Then from here you can select each individual episode to view.

View attached image.
7 years ago

My ratings for episodes haven't been imported, only for the complete shows and movies. They managed to track my progress for each show though. That's why I assumed that some parts are still in development.

Simkl doesn't look bad. They do include Specials to each season where it belongs, for example. Better than Trakt, who sums them up in one extra category.
But UI, lists and several comfort functions, like hiding shows that you began but don't want to be kept informed about, are done better on trakt.

7 years ago

Ah right.

Would changing a show to "dropped" not accomplish that? I'd assume they'd no longer inform you if it's listed there but haven't tried it myself.

7 years ago

You are right, "not interesting" got rid of the show. I couldn't stand seeing "Quantico" on my profile. That show is so so so bad. At least the first season was, as far as I have seen it.

View attached image.
7 years ago

Hah, haven't seen it myself thankfully. Good to know it works at least, I added a bunch of stuff up until the point that I last remember watching but have no plans on watching again like The Simpsons etc, but Simkl has a neat thing where it'll email you the time and date of new seasons beginning for shows you've watched. Would be super annoying if it did it for absolutely everything that I'm not even watching anymore.

7 years ago

I've used it since it was the Cardiff Internet Movie Database. I don't think I've ever used the forums.

7 years ago

Elaborate, how you manage that? :D Its like SG without discussions sorta.

7 years ago

The discussion section on IMDB was a great part of the site. Sure, it had its trolls and pointless threads, but it also had a lot of really great in depth discussions about movies and I almost always go and read the discussions after watching a movie, especially if it is a confusing or thought provoking movie.

It would be nice if someone would basically create an exact replica of the site since it is all user generated anyway and bring the discussion boards back, name it OMDB (online movie database). For now, if I want to read the discussions I go to moviechat.org. It's not perfect, but they have copied a lot of the discussion boards that were on IMDB.

7 years ago

Yeah the discussions had all sorts of info, when questions where to be had - from basics to advanced plot interpretation/imagination that wasn't there to begin with. :D Thanks for sharing the source to movie chat.org - definitely going to look that up in the future.

7 years ago*

I agree. I never actually posted in the discussions, but I loved browsing them after viewing a film to get all the varying perspectives and interpretations. I noticed they were gone after seeing The Arrival a couple months ago, and wanting to go see what others had to say about it. :/

7 years ago

they were useless for me, never found anything constructive. don't care at all they are gone, guess it's less work for imdb's staff.

7 years ago

Might depend on the stuff one views ... some low budget sci-fi or other niche genre
flick that doesn't gather much of a crowd, much less a discussion.

7 years ago*

Though i only posted a handful of times, i really liked to read them once in a while.

Ill be a bad decision to remove them, ill be a worse one to integrate them in other social media, such as fb or twitter. One of the reasons i liked them was because it was NOT linked to other social media and i could look up or post whatever i wanted without it being shared on fb for example.

7 years ago

The forums was one of the more useful parts on IMDB. Most of the rest can be found elsewhere. Any alternatives?

7 years ago

That's very sad, I've been using IMDB for maybe 18 years and these message boards where often the only place you could talk about some obscure movies or forgotten actors. I've seen some people closing their account as a sign of protest but I think IMDB just doesn't care.

7 years ago

Actually, I'm surprised that you mention it now. The IMDB forums are gone for like 2 months or so? I already feared that I'm the only one that misses them, so thanks for posting it here, feels good to see I'm not the only one who misses that feature. I admit, even though, the "m" in imdb stand for movie, I mostly checked out those boards, because they also offered some excellent side information about tv shows, like if some obscure show I found somewhere is already canceled and I need not even bother watching the first episode. Or interesting facts and questions. Sure, there were a lot of trolls as well, but I still haven't found any good alternative yet. There's sites like renewcanceltv.com, which I frequent regularly, but they only have news on some shows, not all of them like on the imdb boards. I'd be interested in any alternatives people here might come up with.

7 years ago

They will be missed. A lot. It really sucks that just because they can't be "monetarized", they have to be shut down. For me, they were very useful after a movie to read things, to understand parts of the plot.

7 years ago

Anyone looking for an alternative to IMDB (if you're boycotting them like I am)
take a look at The Movie Database.

I still get cast information, reviews, discussions, plus trailers and other media.

7 years ago

Thanks!

7 years ago

Looks neat, thanks for sharing.

7 years ago

I visited them regularly, for the same reasons as the others here mentioned - cool theories, explanations of unclear plot points, production trivia, just the occasional interesting posts. I'd always check the boards when going to rate something after watching it. I was in a state of disbelief for a while after I saw the shutdown notification.

Oh, well. IMDB signed their own death sentence with this move. It may take years, but eventually the site will become irrelevant, when a competitor that offers both info and message boards gathers enough momentum.

I'm seeing recommendations for MovieChat, but that one doesn't offer watchlist, ratings and reviews. And any serious competitor would need to offer importing of those from IMDB, because I am not going through 1350 entries manually.

EDIT:

Huh. I saw Koitenshin's recommendation for TMDB and decided to check it out. Turns out it's not only fully featured, but has an import function too! Looks like we may have a winner? Sadly it failed to import a significant percentage of both the watchlist and the ratings, so not quite there yet.

7 years ago*

7 years ago

Already sorta commented on it here.

1. A community that can't handle its "trolls" isn't much of a community to begin with.
  2. Conveniently label everyone a "troll and other buzzwords" ... if their opinion that deviates from conformation to censor.
  3. Why would the "troll argument/post", prevail over the "non trolls" argument/post - could it be common sense/knowledge?
  4. Thank you ministry of truth for shutting it down ... "So i'm best policed on reddit, tumblr and facebook? Ok."

A new report by the Pew Research Center and Elon University’s
Imagining the Internet Center suggests that technologists widely agree: The bad guys are winning.
Researchers surveyed more than 1,500 technologists and scholars about the forces shaping the way people interact with one another online. They asked: “In the next decade, will public discourse online become more or less shaped by bad actors, harassment, trolls, and an overall tone of griping, distrust, and disgust?” The vast majority of those surveyed—81 percent of them—said they expect the tone of online discourse will either stay the same or get worse in the next decade.

^ Hilarious a n=1500 people "study" finally found the one and only truth ... "i knew i needed those safe spaces". Even if it was a
decent study, which i wouldn't believe for a second. And we all know how unrepresentative studies always hold true to reality.

I won't argue much for IMDb, wouldn't know for certain. From whats given, they've opted to save bucks and
outsource their discussions to social media thats conveniently "policed" and monetized already.

View attached image.
7 years ago*

I am with you on this to a certain point. A lot of the 'facts' in the article are questionable. I was actually laughing while reading that paragraph above. '81 % expect it to stay the same or get worse' is not much of an argument, depending on the amount of people expecting it to stay the same.

Notwithstanding the numbers and the questionable arguments in parts of the article, there is a real discussion to be engaged upon about the benefits and drawbacks of anonymity on fora and how/whether this can lead to bad conduct. I do believe that many people will tend to stay away form fora where they have made bad experiences. And many people have made a boatload of bad experiences. It would be wise to follow up on this with an open attitude.

7 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

7 years ago

Funny. I just discovered the removal of the boards last week after going there to see comments on the film I had just finished watching - Arrival.

7 years ago

well that explains why I couldn't find 'em after watching a movie last week
I always check the discussion boards to look for theories and explanations on the more abstract movies I watch
quite a shame to see them gone

7 years ago

Closed 6 years ago by DominusFerrus.