I'm getting a new laptop, but I'm having a huge dilemma, as I've got a laptop with 8Gb RAM but a Nvidia Geforce 610M and another with 4Gb Ram but a Nvidia Geforce 660M. They're both at the same price, but I don't know which one is good. If there's a better laptop, just give a quick link to it, thanks

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

You do not need 8GB of RAM for gaming.

1 decade ago

But 4gb is not enough

1 decade ago

Are you serious? There isnt even single game which can effectively use more than 4GB.

1 decade ago

4GB is more than enough

1 decade ago

Only realistic situation you're gonna need more than 4GB is if you're ramdisking. Oh wait, I said realistic..

1 decade ago

... Ramdisking?

1 decade ago

Its the act of using your ram as superfast temporary storage. You mainly need 16~32gb to be able to put any full games in it, but you can for instance redirect all your cache to it and such if you have something like 8gb.

1 decade ago

Beware of the heat, it's not desktop

1 decade ago

What brand are they?

1 decade ago

the 8 GB is Asus and 4 GB is MSI

1 decade ago

I'd say go for Asus but that 660M one is more tempting.

1 decade ago

660M. Better GPU wins out.

1 decade ago

RAM is dirt cheap, so you can always add some more later. Focus more on GPU and CPU, these are much harder to upgrade.

1 decade ago

+1 even 2*4GB is cheap, I have no idea why I still have only 4GB in my desktop

1 decade ago

What are you gonna use the laptop for? Gaming, Photoshop and editing, 3d animation...?

1 decade ago

Gaming, video making, livestreaming

1 decade ago

For livestreaming you also need to have REALLY good internet connection :)

1 decade ago

done

1 decade ago

Don't get a laptop for gaming = rule 1, but if you really have to get a laptop then i don't know :P

1 decade ago

I really need a laptop :/ I move a lot so I wouldn't be able to use my desktop much

1 decade ago

Tell full specification if you want our suggestions... those gpu can be useless if cpu is bad:]

1 decade ago

610M is gonna be worse than desktop integrated graphics, and not upgradeable. Take the 660M, without thinking twice.

1 decade ago

get the 660M, I have 650M which doing good up until now playing most AAA titles at high setting (i.e. AC3,BO2,Skyrim) so far...not as great as Desktop but still got playable FPS.

1 decade ago

buy iphone 5 instead

1 decade ago

I hope u're joking...

1 decade ago

To everybody wondering what the MSI laptop is: Ordinateur portable SteelSeries GE60 0NC-263FR
| Core i5-3210M | 4.Go | 500.Go | Ecran 15.6.pouces | nVidia GeForce GT 650M 2.Go avec CUDA et OPTIMUS | Windows 8 | Garantie 2 ans | Sacoche et Souris Offertes (the problem is that the 660M version is on another site, can't find it)

1 decade ago

and that thing is the same as mine as well

1 decade ago

Aha, any bugs?

1 decade ago

It's a laptop: You can always upgrade or replace the RAM but the GPU you are mostly stuck with, go for that. However you didn't mention the other specs so?

1 decade ago

I need to find it once more, give me a moment

1 decade ago

Look at MSI GX/GE/GT series. I use my MSI for 3 years and still can play most games with high graphics settings with 40-40 fps.
BTW I have to move between placec very often, so I need only laptop. But I've nice Razer mouse and keyboard, so I don't feel laptop worse than desktop ;)

1 decade ago

If you don't mind the brand, this one has good specs:
http://www.medion.com/fr/prod/MEDION%C2%AE+AKOYA%C2%AE+P6815+%28MD+98234%29/30014952A1
I have that laptop, but a cheaper version, and I'm pretty happy with it.

1 decade ago

omg, i was about to say Dell XPS, cuz its what ive got since 2 years ago, but it seems they uprised the prices quite a lot. Mine was 800€ standard + 200€ that i decided to pay for 2 extra years of garrantee.

Ive been using the laptop daily for lots of hours of gaming everyday. I can run BF3 without problems, just to put an example of its potential, and ive never seen a tech service as good as Dell one...

Anyway theyre a bit out of ur range now, maybe u can try to call them, so they can apply some discount...

gL!

1 decade ago

I'd say for work, text, e-mail and internet an (older) Apple laptop will do, but sorry, forgot this is not what you were looking for.

1 decade ago

so, What Cpu, ram and Gpu isn't enough info

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by thepinguins.