Sorry to make yet another "which card should I pick" thread but I've gotten really good advice from you guys in the past, so I'm asking again.

Good steamgifters, my old GTX 285 croacked for the second time ( doing this ) (After baking it back to life once 6 months ago)
means I really do need to get a new card.

Basicly I'm torn between GTX 760 and GTX 770 mostly.

1. 760 $250 , 770 $350.
  2. 770 should roughly be 20% better? plus it can handle the high end graphic filters better.
  3. However, 760 has better price / performance grade.

As for my budget - both are kinda stretching it a little, however I only buy a GPU every 3-4 years or so.

Which one from this list would you recommend?

I was kind of narrowing it to these but would gladly consider more options.

What do you think?

Also, I need to replace my RAM since its fairly slow.
This is my motherboard.
Which memory would you recommend for gaming?

Also here are two cookies for helping me out

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Definately get an EVGA card. Apart from the games given to you by Nvidia you get Deadfall Adventures, Rise of the Triad and Painkiller: Hell & Damnation from EVGA.

Also, EVGA's warranty is awesome.

You get 3 years of free warranty when registering the product online (you need to do that anyway for the extra games) and also you are allowed to open the card and clean the cooler even change the cooler and still not loose the warranty.

EVGA is the way to go, specially since their cards aren't as overpriced as they used to be.

I got my 770 for 295 €, where the MSI card costs 350 €, Palit cards cost 355 € etc. Only gigabyte was cheaper with 275 €(But Gigabyte gives you nothing but the card)

1 decade ago

Where did ya get EVGA GTX 770 for 295€ lol? It's like 296€ for MSI and 349€ for EVGA DUAL SC version here in shitty Belgium.

1 decade ago

The price fell rapidly when the promotion by Nvidia started (Spies Pirates and heroes or something (AC IV, Batman Origins, Blacklist). I was willing to pay 360 € for a 770 but I decided to wait for the games to get those too.

Prices fell rapidly.

The card I bought at that exact store is now a little bit more expensive, still an awesome deal.

I live right next to that store I linked, I just went there and payed in cash.

More cheap 770 versions, sadly the EVGA ones are more expensive here.

Cheapest EVGA 770 1/3

Cheapest EVGA 770 2/3

Cheapest EVGA 770 3/3

The card I have has a boost of 1202, but I can OC it any way I want with the free EVGA Precision tool.

1 decade ago

Be smart in this one, buy the cheapest one, save the money difference between one and another and buy a new gpu in 5 years or so again.

That said, i would totally go for a 760, if my budget was limited.

I got a 670 myself and i don't plan on updating this untill it gets outdated or broken, i can't play BF4 with everything maxed out, but i can put everything on ultra 1920 x 1080 and it works fine with decent fps (game runs smooth). Crysis 3 also plays all maxed out on my card, sometimes it may get a little fps drop, which can be fixed easily (my hard drive is heavy, like near 1TB of games + stuff installed), not to mention the things i run on background (chrome with 20+ tabs, skype, origin, uplay, gpu monitor, windows media player, some music window tabs and some other stuff) and it's not overclocked either (again, more of a reason why you can easily fix this with a little bit of messing around with the card).

Also, it is said that 760 is on equal ground with a 670 in terms of perfomance, mine was more expensive than yours will be, so buy the 760 already and ignore people saying to buy the expensive one for better perfomance, you can use the extra money to upgrade in a few years (put it inside a box piggy bank and put a sticker saying "break in 5 years, computer parts savings").

1 decade ago

As for ram i would go for 1333 minimum, i heard some stuff about compatibility issues if your ram is lower than that, i seen some stuff on google (tom's hardware or w/e it's called), people suggest minimum 1333 MHZ. I went for 1600Mhz with 16GB myself. Games require up to 8GB right now, the new generation games. So i pretty much bought double that to make sure i won't need upgrading anytime soon, and if i do, it will be mostly the gpu.

As long as the ram as cooling, it's probably good to go.

1 decade ago

It's pretty stupid to buy 1333 ram, when 1866 ram costs exactly the same (some cost 5-10 € more, but if you are paying 80+ € thats hardly noticeable), 1333 ram being sometimes even more expensive due to being outdated.

1 decade ago

Over here where i live it costs a few bucks more and like i said, it's a recommended minimum for building new gaming desktops. Not saying he should buy 1333, he has to see the prices obviously, i paid 10 bucks more and got 1600+ Mhz.

1 decade ago

760 IMO.I'd normally suggest you to go for AMD but you seem dedicated about buying a Nvidia.
BTW, check your PSU.You need a good quality PSU to use either 760 or 770.What brand/watt PSU do you have ?

Oh and I suggest the "MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 760 N760 TF 2GD5/OC Video Card" one, factory OC'ed cards rarely create some problems in random games.You'll probably revert it to stock clocks even if you buy it.

1 decade ago

For about 40% more, the 770 provides far less than 40% more performance. For that reason, the 760 gets my vote. In fact, it's the card I'll get if I go Nvidia when I get a new GPU sometime soon.

For RAM, I suggest looking at whatever has the best ratio of positive reviews and price. RAM speed is almost zero concern for a gamer who isn't relying on CPU graphics. Pay attention to how tall the RAM is. You don't want it getting in the way of your CPU cooler. Some of those are huge.

1 decade ago

Go with the Gtx 760 2GB it runs everything pretty well at 1080p. Then send it to me since I want to sli it with mine. Thank You!!!

1 decade ago

IMO, if you can get your hands on a GTX660Ti get that one. If not, then go for the GTX760...

On your motherboard/RAM I can't comment since I use AMD instead of Intel. But my Phenom 1090T runs with 800Mhz DDR2 banks and I have no problems with this 'slow RAM'. It works great with my GTX660 SLI and I can run almost everything in highest settings (X Rebirth is one of the exceptions, but that engine is totally broken)

1 decade ago

R9 290X :)

1 decade ago

780 Ti

1 decade ago

If both a 760 and 770 are stretching your budget, then get the 760 (the EVGA Superclocked one). It is a fantastic card and will keep you happily running for your usual 3-4 year window. Since you tend to hold on to cards that long, the extra $100 on the 770 isn't going to make that big of a difference for you honestly. You'd be spending 40% more money for 20% more performance :(

1 decade ago

I use an MSI GTX 770 and it was worth every penny. Not sure about the 760 though. They're both relatively new cards, so I don't think it would make much of a difference choosing either at this point in time.

1 decade ago

I'd say wait a bit for the new models. A new year, meaning new models will come out.

Would suck to buy a 770 with a 860/870 or whatever coming out a week later. lol

1 decade ago

Thats true, and now I'm paranoid of buying the 700 series XD
When do new models come ouuuut??

1 decade ago

around end of february or begining of march

1 decade ago

Oh awesome mm.. how long till prices drop though? So in general each year around Feb or March new models come out?

1 decade ago

Soon you end up waiting forever for a "best" deal. And even if you end up finding one, next week of the deal it is even cheaper elsewhere and then you regret it anyways.
Sadly, usually even the "discounted" prices aren't really cheap. Meaning the company that sells them doesn't make any losses, but still profits. The sales usually happen when the prices drop in general for parts, and it is their way of swaying the customer.

Also the prices might not drop that much for some parts. The parts just go out of manufacturing line, but won't drop in price. That is what happened with GTX 680, where GTX 770 is remade GTX 680.

1 decade ago

I see a Hearthstone

1 decade ago

It depends on what you want my friend do you want a 760 , Which will run all of the games you have at medium-high settings? Or do you want something that can play games at higher frame rates but at a higher price? I would have to say putting together two 760's in sli makes them future proof, you could get the 4gb cards but that would only be useful if you are using many monitors at the same time :) So yes i recommend the GTX 760

My specs:

Intel i7-3770K Quad Core CPU Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz Processor 3.9GHz LGA1155 8 Thread

Asus Maximus V GENE Intel Z77 Chipset Motherboard

2x Sli Palit NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 4GB Jetstream Edition Boost Graphics Cards

Corsair 16GB 4x 4GB DDR3 2400MHz Vengeance Black Ram

Acer P244W 24" monitor

Seagate 3.5' 1.5TB, SATA 7200RPM, 64MB cache Hard drive

CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 800W Power supply

Aerocool Strike-X Advance Red Mid Tower Gaming PC Case

1 decade ago

770 really good card sure go on for that ....

1 decade ago

770 faster then 760 ~ 25-30% imo

1 decade ago

Just FYI I get shit like that on my 770 in Heathstone - not saying you don't need an update but likely it wasn't your card.

1 decade ago

yes I know hearthstone has visual bugs but my card crashed with many other games aswell. And hearthstone stopped bugging out when I switched to my onboard graphics card.

1 decade ago

Speaking from my experience a 760 is a bit too short at least for my monitor (2560x1080) but a 770 hits the spot just right.

1 decade ago

Too short? you mean not enough processing power for 1080p stuff?

1 decade ago

For a 1080p monitor it probably would just fit the bell, but it was a bit too short for my monitor that has 2560x1080 which has 30% more pixels than a 1080p

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by Tzell.