Unreal deal pack on sale right now, as you might now. I'm orbiting right now between UT2004 or UT3. What do you guys think I should do? I'm afraid that 2004 has a weaker player base and I'll be buying it for nothing, but if that wasn't a problem, then I would have gone for 2004 without even blinking, by far one of the best shooters I've ever played in my life. UT3 being newer however, is much sure to have a bigger player base. Or just buy 'em both? hehe(I'd love that, but I can't afford both of them).

Thing is I never played UT3, but from what I have seen, it looks...very different from 2004, so I don't know what to expect, if it's as good, or better, or worse.

*EDIT: Going for UT2004. Thank you very much for your opinions, sg community!

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

UT3 is alright. 2004 was a flop.

My opinion is to avoid both and just buy the original Unreal Tournament, the only game in the series worth playing.

1 decade ago

All UT games are worth playing, but I agree that the first is the best.

1 decade ago

What the hell man.. UT2004 was the best of them all, there were just sooooo many modded servers online, I doubt theres anyone left playing now tho. Most of the good mods were on the assault gametype tho, and they removed that mode from UT3, which I find very stupid. I never understood why they took out the best gamemode, it got me real pissed to find out there was no assault mode when I bought UT3.

1 decade ago

I can tell you haven't played UT99. There's not even a comparison, especially when it comes to mods lol.

1 decade ago

+1 so hard, but all games are good, just that original UT GOTY is best!

1 decade ago

2004 was a flop? No.

1 decade ago

It's completely my opinion, I realise there are loyal players out there.

1 decade ago

I got UT2004 just based on the nostalgia feeling. I tried UT3 once and for me it was too much of a graphics display and I just simply didn't like the visual style it had. I think the relatively "clean" look of UT2004 is better for this type of game.

1 decade ago

To be honest both games have really scarce player base (and UT2k4 has just as many players as UT3 actually). Many people say UT2k4 is better than UT3, however I disagree with them. Both are similar, though, so it's not like they vary a lot. Original UT, however, does, and still remains the best one in the series if you are not looking for Onslaught/Warfare modes. Moreover UT seems to have just as many players as the new UTs.

So... yeah, it's a choice between a mandarin, a banana or a kiwi. If you were to buy just one and never played any UT before - go for the original UT. Preferably buy two games though - the original UT for DM/TDM/CTF and UT3 for Warfare (a territory game with vehicles) or UT2k4 for Onslaught (Same as warfare except with less flavour, but just as good).

If you have enough money you might just consider buying the whole pack (although UT2k3 is quite... pointless if you have all the other games).

1 decade ago

To be honest both games have really scarce player base (and UT2k4 has just as many players as UT3 actually). Many people say UT2k4 is better than UT3, however I disagree with them. Both are similar, though, so it's not like they vary a lot. Original UT, however, does, and still remains the best one in the series if you are not looking for Onslaught/Warfare modes. Moreover UT seems to have just as many players as the new UTs.

So... yeah, it's a choice between a mandarin, a banana or a kiwi. If you were to buy just one and never played any UT before - go for the original UT. Preferably buy two games though - the original UT for DM/TDM/CTF and UT3 for Warfare (a territory game with vehicles) or UT2k4 for Onslaught (Same as warfare except with less flavour, but just as good).

If you have enough money you might just consider buying the whole pack (although UT2k3 is quite... pointless if you have all the other games).

1 decade ago

2k3 not listed.

1 decade ago

2004 is the best unreal

1 decade ago

Yup. Or at least I had most fun with it.

1 decade ago

You never played the first one?

1 decade ago

^This

2004 sucked.

1 decade ago

.........camel dick.

1 decade ago

UT3 still has players. I don't know for UT2004. But both are great and a bit different, so it's really up to you. I'm sure there are still UT2004 players online, but of course less than UT3. I won them both and UT3 still has the fast-paced action of its predecessors. But it lacks some great modes UT2004 used to have. It's still a great game and you can't go wrong, you'll have fun with it. In the end it depends if you prefer old-fashioned UT and playing mostly LAN or if you want a more recent version, with less modes but good online activity.
FYI, I play UT since the first one.

1 decade ago

Just select UT99 aka Unreal Tournament: GOTY
;)

1 decade ago

+1

1 decade ago

+1

1 decade ago

I like Unreal Tournament 2004 better than 3. 3 looks very clunky and weird despite the higher spec requirements.

1 decade ago

UT 2k4 or 99 - 99 has still the highest number of active servers of all UTs [UT 3 has the lowest from what I've checked lately]

Gametracker - that's ut99, 61 pages of servers, 31 for ut2k4, 17 for ut3

How hard it is to check gametracker anyways? (First result in google for online server ut2k4 :P)

1 decade ago

UT99 > UT2004 > UT3
My favorite mode: Mission(UT99&UT2004), Onslaught(UT2004), Warfare(UT3)

1 decade ago

Oh yeah, Onslaught was so great, I loved it!

1 decade ago

UT3 for me was a really disappointment. I like much 2004 and I don't feel is so different from the original... Just avoid 3, is another game, not an UT one...

1 decade ago

2004 was vastly different then the original, hell I would go as far as to say UT3 was more like 99 then 2004 was....

1 decade ago

Different opinions, I don't think so.

ALSO: hoverboards. Seriously?!

1 decade ago

I don't even understand what you are trying to say honestly.

What about Hoverboards? Like thats as extreme as 2004 adding vehicles?

1 decade ago

I want to say that you have your opinions that are slightly different from mine. I actually think UT3 was a crap of a game, while I really enjoyed every minute of UT2004 and I found it a good sequel to the 99 original game. I disliked 2003 though.

I feel hoverboards silly. They have a strange mechanism (one hit and with some strange phisics you can literally fly away) and also pretty useless (The idea of improving speed of movements feels ok but the approach was really weak imho). Veichles was included mainly for onslaught, where they work perfectly and improve gameplay strategy.

From what I've played on UT3, campaign feels ridicoulous (Try to tell a story and make it credible on the UT universe? ahah, just go back to Unreal then...), bots are very stupid (they even cannot do anything without your efforts... neither your enemies... I just remember a map that took me more than 50minutes to complete, because bots cannot win/lose... they are simply stuck in the middle) and overall, I feel that there isn't much anything outside the graphics. Maybe I need to play it more to understand what you're talking about, but I didn't find any incentive to continue.

Sorry for the bad english, I'm trying to improve.

1 decade ago

I never touched the singleplayer, its a throwaway in any game like this, UT3 does feel more like UT99 even if you feel its a bad game and that 2004 is superior, which is fine because well thats just an opinion. I liked 2003 more so then 2004 also though since 2004 messed up several guns and slowed down the gameplay a bit. All opinions though. 2004 did bring in some fun stuff also, so its not all inferior, but for me it didn't add much fun since I only really play DM and CTF.

I never minded the hoverboards,they are kinda just a faster way to traverse the map if its a big map without getting in vehicles. You really could ignore them though if you found them unpleasant.

No problem, I just didn't understand what you said at first, its alright, English is a hard language to learn, good luck with it.

1 decade ago

Just want to add that Singleplayer is a part of the game. I understand that in a MP fps arena game is pretty useless, but as a whole, it must be considered. And is really weak compared to his precedessor, although have tried to innovate the franchise. I haven't found any slowness between my games trough 2004 and 99, while in 3 I found some guns a bit less responsive (like flak and biogun).

1 decade ago

I see it as an extra, if anything that makes it more of a value even if its not great. Its not weak compared to 2004 in my eyes, it had a terrible start so its player base is weak, but that happens when games are launched badly. All of the guns were responsive in UT3, Biogun was improved, flak worked perfect. In 2004 the Lightning Gun and the Link Gun was nerfed to hell and back compared to 2003.

All opinion I suppose though...

1 decade ago

I only have 10 bucks and I'm leaning more towards Ut2k4 and UT99

1 decade ago

UT3 was dissappointing, mostly due to the single player campaign. Multiplayer was fun, when people actually played it, but I really don't like the maps, there's barely anything remarkable about them, they're dull and grey.
On the other hand I've played UT2004 for a few years and never got bored of it, Assault was my favorite game type.
I've played UT99 quite a bit, too, but it never grabbed me as much as 2004 did for some reason.

1 decade ago

1. Unreal Tournament

2. UT2K3/UT2K4

3. UT3 (Black)

1 decade ago

i loved ut3, but all the fanboys of the series will tell you 2k4

to be fair ive played barely any 2k4 and TONS AND TONS of UT3 i really enjoyed it

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

1 decade ago

i really loved ut3. just there weren't enough people online even years ago so i stopped playing.

1 decade ago

it's a shame this series never received popularity it deserved.

1 decade ago

^ totally agree

1 decade ago

I prefer UT3 for the main campaign (also in coop) and the beauty of the Unreal Engine 3. The maps are really suggestive/impressive, and the music ingame too. To be honest i love UT2004 too, i own both on steam. But in 2004 there are few people ready to play. Maybe UT3 is pretty underrated and there are few people too, but UT3 (in my humble opinion) is way better

1 decade ago

Best gameplay element of UT3: hoverboard!!

1 decade ago

wouldnt say the best but definitely awesome, i loved the hoverboard

1 decade ago

UT 2K4 had Bombing Run, which was probably my favorite game mode.
They sort of merged it into UT3, using the orb to fast capture nodes, but Bombing Run was a fun mode all by itself.

1 decade ago

UT 2004

1 decade ago

UT2k4 is dead. Only a few servers are still up. But it is the better game. Dont know how active UT3 is.

1 decade ago

UT99 is still the best. Great campaign (which actually resembles a tournament)

UT2004 is good, but they concentrated too much on the vehicles, which simply destroy the old feeling. The game itself seems to have a good mod-base.

UT3 is very well polished in regards of gameplay. It wasn't well received by modders, I don't know why. The downside: Absolutely stupid Campaign (short, stupid story), some maps have just too much eye-candy, many interesting gamemodes from the previous titles are missing, basically nothing really new. It's still a very good game.

All UT games can still be very enjoyable with bots. I wouldn't count on an online playerbase.

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by Beje.