Merry Christmas!

I am looking at updating my gpu on my build. I'd prefer and AMD card so was wondering if there is any real difference between the rx470 & 480 cards. Throws me off Because 470 came after but has slightly lower specs? Also! is there any difference between these 2 rx 470 cards besides the slightly smaller size?

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=558&item_id=099085
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=558&item_id=100843

And while you're here, I would appreciate if you could recommend me a laptop from a retailer that ships to Canada? My budget for laptop is $500 (before taxes). I plan on using it for business and light gaming.

I have a couple of games (nothing special) in my inventory that I will give away to helpful comments while supplies last via steam trade.

Thank you and Happy Holidays!

7 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

As you said 470 is a bit worse than 480 so does it matter? , depends on the kind of gaming you will do with it if we talk 4k monitor every litle bit of power matters but if we are talking 1080p then atm you wont see so many clear differences , i can assure you . Maybe some newer games in the advanced settings have a few details slighty higher but if you test it with the eye on 2 computers same specs diff AMD cards you wont be able to tell for sure what is what. Lastly keep in mind that 480 will last a litle longer cause it will be be at minimum settings a few months more b4 the time will come to seek a new gpu again .
Based on that i would take 480 if my budget would elt me cause it would be better but a 470 is not a bad buy at all too
Anyway happy gaming whatever your choise have fun with it!

7 years ago*

Edit 470 came later with lower specs so more customers who couldnt afford the 480 could buy it happens a lot

7 years ago

The difference between those 2 RX 470 is in their overclock profiles (both are OC versions), the memory clock is the same in both.

Happy cake day!

7 years ago*

There is so small difference between the 470 and 480… if you can afford that little more, just get the 480.
The difference between brands is usually in the coolers and how much they overclock, if they do. Gigabyte is usually the cheap but loud one, with the highest failure rates. If you have a nice sound-proofed case and good ventilation, they are fine though. MSI is a somewhat of a step up, albeit not a big step.

7 years ago

I'm assuming you're talking 4GB 480. There's also an 8GB version, and that might end up better in the long run, although I don't think 4GB would truly be a serious limitation.

As for the two cards, I can see a small different in specs, but probably nothing that would matter seriously. For example one has 1 HDMI port and 3 DP and the other 2 HDMI and 2 DP. You might want to search for reviews to see things like heat and noise.

7 years ago

Yes I need one that has less heat since my pc doesn't get the best ventillation :) I'm late in my boxing day shopping LOL, had to help some friends move

7 years ago

GPU choice depends on how often do you upgrade your PC and games you play. 480 is a better performer overall so i`d stick with that. Of course, 470 when overclocked can achieve about 480s performance, but not every GPU overclocks greatly and you can boost 480 as well)) MSI or G1 is now a big difference in my opinion.
BTW found on a site you linked in your post a pretty cheap 480 - http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_1200_557_558&item_id=101715
And i was browsing newegg with lower prices than in your store. Is there a problem with delievery to Canada?)

7 years ago

Delivery is not a problem! My only preference is a more quiet gpu that doesnt make too much heat. My pc doesn't get the greatest ventilation

7 years ago

Then stick with 2-3 vents on GPU and it will be quiet enough)

7 years ago

I vote for 480. It's great for 1080p gaming and I can run every new game with 60+ fps with high details.

View attached image.
7 years ago

That good, I don't plan on doing any 4k or VR gaming :P I only have a 7850 atm so want to upgrade with something up to date to I can transition this gpu over into my new build later on and have my current build as a 2nd

7 years ago

RX480 is an awesome card (I have a Sapphire Nitro+ RX480 8GB)

Just be sure to buy the 8GB version since it has higher clocks.

7 years ago

GTX1060 3GB or 6GB is better.

7 years ago

i though you need laptop with i6200u and 4-8gb ram. videocard geforce gt940mx, it's tottaly enough for light gaming. You can look at acer aspire series

7 years ago

check out this one - Acer Aspire E5-575G-53VG - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DT4A2R4/

• 6th Generation Intel Core i5-6200U Processor (Up to 2.8GHz)
  • 15.6-inch Full HD Display, NVIDIA GeForce 940MX with 2GB DDR5 VRAM
  • 8GB DDR4 Memory, 256GB SSD
  • Windows 10 Home; Backlit Keyboard
  • Up to 12-hours Battery Life; 6-cell Li-Ion (2800 mAh) Battery
7 years ago*

i can reccomend this laptop because i use almost same (my F5 573G 526W) for new games like witcher 3 or gta5

7 years ago

Happy factory day, elder.

7 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.