1 decade ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Don't think it will go more then 80%

1 decade ago

it went 90% during winter sale,

1 decade ago

The DLCs were way cheaper during the winter sale so you might want to wait for the summer sale! proof

1 decade ago

You're not supposed to buy all of them. You're supposed to go "Oh I like that one and that one". Owning them all would be pointless. There are so many that you wouldn't be able to try them all even if you wanted to.

1 decade ago

I remember one thread on 4chan (/v/ actually) where users were discussing about winter sale and how everything is insanely cheap so it would be a good idea to buy Railworks. Then some dude posted "oh too bad i bought it before winter sale but what the hell" and he actually showed his Steam receipt with transaction of Railworks 3 + all dlc's, i think it was something over 1500$. So yeah, those people exist

1 decade ago

pics or it didnt happen

1 decade ago

FYI, I commuted from the South East of England to London for 2 years. A season ticket cost me around £2000 (~$4000) a year for a standard (economy) ticket. First class tickets - and there were at least 40 people who paid for first class tickets, just on my line and train - were double that, so $8000 a year. They sat in their own part of the train, but separated from the main carriages by as little as 4 inches.

1 decade ago

During the winter sale there was an "All DLC" pack for like $300 or $400 which was a pretty good deal. That being said, I wouldn't have sprung for it even if I had that much money on hand during the sale - being mostly interested in US diesel engines and yard work means that there's only a couple of DLC packs I'm going to be playing, a lot less than even $100 worth...

$ per hour of gameplay is pretty good with Railworks in you're into train sims.

1 decade ago

Mass Effect Series: $60 + $60 + $60 + ($20 DLC) = ~$200 (according to someone in an ME3 thread)
Call of Duty Series: > $199 (Rough total cost of the games I own (on Steam, not including my Wii Call of Duty 3))

For $200, you can get Railworks + 8 DLCs at $19.99 each. This is much more than anyone really needs.

For anyone who wants to complain that I'm not comparing like with like, lets compare TF2:
How much would it cost to buy every single Hat, Map, Weapon, Taunt and Noisemaker from the Mann Co. Store? More than $1800? Yup!

1 decade ago

Your DLC for Mass Effect and CoD are both wildly wrong. There's two DLC packs for ME, a lot of DLC for ME2 and one known for 3. There's less for CoD, but all of it is a lot more expensive.

1 decade ago

Oh yes. Screw TF2. I bought the game 20 euros during a sale, and several months later they announce an in-game store full with "enter your credit card here" for paying customers.

Now the game is free to play and all I've got to show for it is a fuckin' hat. What am I supposed to do with that? Show everyone I'm the sucker who bought an f2p game?

Yes I'm mad >:(

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

1 decade ago

Didn't play it that much haha. I was supposed to get it with a friend but he never got to it :(

Generally speaking though, yes, there's also the full year of fun.

1 decade ago

I lolled so hard...

1 decade ago

I like trains.

1 decade ago

You know, i was always really damned curious about stuff like Train or Farm simulator. I mean - who wasn't? I just can't figure out who is the target audience for these games.
I'm kinda tempted to buy it now.

1 decade ago

Is that even a question?

1 decade ago

If you have to ask, you will never know.

1 decade ago

Buy it !

1 decade ago

I think you're supposed to buy only the trains you wanna play with.

1 decade ago

Of course, it has trains.

1 decade ago

Deleted

1 decade ago

And, you don't need to have an entire room just for Railworks... it uses the same computer as all the other games.

1 decade ago

Worth it? Hell ye it is, the competitive scene is huge.
Just make sure you play No Railz only servers and not some easy mode scrub Steam servers.
All the pro's use Diesel trains anyway for that multitrack drifting.

See for yourself.

1 decade ago

Ok, i want this game so much now xD

1 decade ago

Two out of the three links are for a different game...

1 decade ago

Opened a topic about the exact same thing without looking here first, soory :P

1 decade ago

Forgiven. Now have fun! :D

1 decade ago

Some people would spend thousands of dollars in collecting items that have no real use or that they might not even intend on using; at the very least not all of them. If you're collecting stamps you can't use them or else you... obviously got rid of it/them. If you're collecting lamps, then you can't possibly use them all at once. Some people even keep their prized items in their boxes and never open them.

It boils down to whether or not you see it as something worthwhile. If trains were my passion I would consider it but knowing that the technology for the simulation would eventually become better and more precise I would personally find it hard to spend that much on something that would become obsolete.

I guess another way to look at it would be as follow:
When you go out with friends, go on a vacation, go ski, etc. The money you spend on those activities are a one time use only. Even if a better newer simulator came out you CAN still play the older version. It can be played for countless hours and eventually make your money worthwhile.

So yes 1800$ is a lot if you play 5 hours total, but if you play it for hundreds of hours suddenly the cost is more justifiable.

Also, as movac said; it's a whole lot cheaper than building the equivalent model train set.
I'd even add that you need a lot of room for that.

1 decade ago

As someone who actually owns the Train Simulator (I won it here) I have to say that it's a lot less boring than it might seem at first. The game is actually quite challenging if you want to make all of the goals. Sure just getting from A to B isn't hard (unless you manage to derail yourself), but getting there on time, picking up all the passengers/cargo on the way, and not breaking any speed limits requires you to know all about the train you're driving, the layout of the track, and the weather conditions. It gets even more complex when you're driving a steam train and you have to keep an eye on shit like pressure and temperature in order not to (literally) run out of steam. Besides all that, it's actually kinda relaxing just to drive in first-person view through the different environments in your choo-choo and not give a fuck about anything.

I'm not saying it's a great game and everyone should go and buy it right now, because it's obviously a very niche game. But if trains are your niche, I can very well imagine it being worth spending money on the base game and the few DLC packs you're interested in. As said by others before me, there's no point in buying ALL the DLC because you'll end up with more trains than you'll ever drive. You just get the base game and maybe the DLC that has your favorite train and/or favorite track and that's more than enough.

1 decade ago

As someone who is an HO train enthusiast, LEGO train enthusiast, and lover of trains overall, I fucking love the Train Simulator games. Like everyone else though, I agree that the insane amount of separate DLC is overkill.

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

1 decade ago

i always thought that gabe would come to your house personally if anyone would buy the full pack...

1 decade ago

You know, 3D artists want to eat, too. Someone making guns for TF2 might live off a few cents per gun sold in TF store due to huge amount of people buying them, but train is far bigger investment of time and research and buyer base is much smaller, so...

TL/DR - Basic rule of economy, demand is low, supply expensive = high prices.

1 decade ago

Other way around mate, if demand is low but there's much supply the prices lower.

1 decade ago

You just stated the same thing I did...

Unless you think I said there's much supply which is not the case.

1 decade ago

Well I read "demand is low, supply expensive = high prices.". In my own terms that mean if there is little demand but a lot of supply, then the price is high. But please correct me.

1 decade ago

He means the supply costs a lot to provide, not that there is a lot of it.

1 decade ago

No, he said, "demand low, supply expensive = high price". That means there's fewer people who want the product and a higher price to supply it so the individual price has to be high to cover the high supply costs. With more customers, or lower supply costs, the individual price could be lower to cover the supply costs.

1 decade ago

I'm pretty sure what Trixie was getting at is that it's a specialty item.

Trains don't have any kind of general appeal. But the people who they do appeal to really want them. So much like physical model trains, since there are only a small number of people to sell your product to you know you need to charge more to cover the cost of making them.

1 decade ago

It's just like a real-life model train set. Obviously you wouldn't buy EVERY piece of train stuff (tracks, extra trains, scenery, props, etc.) so in this case it is the same way.

1 decade ago

Deleted

1 decade ago

Definetly not worth that much for some new trains

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by 594rk.