There, I said it. I know a lot of you don't agree.

I think people have too many points, and are entering giveaways of games which they are not even interested in. Thus, this results in a lot of redundant entries everywhere, reducing the winning chance of those few who only enter games that they really want to play.

This is especially true ever since contributor value was introduced, increasing the number of giveaways on the site as well as point regeneration.

I don't know, I just think people want to win for the sake of winning now. Not forgetting those who even regift/trade their wins.

Honestly 180-200P is just about enough if you ask me.

Edit: Haha, so much for a civil discussion eh? Yall have a good day too.

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

That would get full if you check only once a day.

1 decade ago

i check every single day.

1 decade ago

You're only saying this because you have 16 wins. I can guarantee you that you have spent your points on random games as well.

People do it just to feel what it's like to win, regardless of the game. Some people have never won before and by reducing the points, reducing the games to enter, reducing the chances to win a game, people leave. Less people = less giveaways. Less giveaways = even less people.

No.

1 decade ago

Hang on, less entries in a giveaway actually increases the odds of winning, not the other way round.

Just because you have more points to enter more giveaways, doesn't mean you have more chance of winning.

1 decade ago

i think he means chances at chances to win

1 decade ago

No, less people = less entries. Yes it means more entries for the people who did enter, but less players overall will decrease the amount of giveaways that are started. The less amount of giveaways means less users.
If points were decreased, people would leave, starting this whole chain.

Why are you even complaining about free games anyway?

And yes, having more points is a better chance at winning something. If you enter 5 giveaways, and each have 99 other people who enter. You have a 5 in 100 chance of winning 1 of the 5 games.
If you enter 10, and each have 99 other people, you have a 10 in 100 chance of winning 1 of the 10 games.

More points = more giveaways entered = better chances.
Therefore, yes, more points increases the odds of winning.

1 decade ago

Why are there less people?

1 decade ago

If there are less points, that means there are less giveaways to enter because you run out of points faster. People have less chances of winning, say "This is pointless" and leave.

1 decade ago

why would people leave if the point limit was decreased?
i mean it's free games with just a click of a button.
and i think you're missing something here.
the limit will only affect those who don't visit the site often.
and it's more like this i think
more points = people having more points to enter giveaways = more entries per giveaway = lower odds = more chances but lower odds
less points = people have less points to enter giveaways = less entries per giveaway = higher odds = less chances but higher odds

1 decade ago

I think d345345 means that the less points people have to use to enter games, the less likely they think they will win that raffle, this will no doubt turn away alot of people, resulting in less people using Steamgifts, less games raffled and ultimately nobody here at all.

1 decade ago

Exactly. Would you rather enter 1 giveaway with 200 entries, or 5 giveaways with 2000 entries each?

1 decade ago

Doesn't matter as long as the point limit is not low enough to max out in a short time.

(and if it is it will balance out: 1 GA with 200 or 5 with 1000. Overall the chances are the same.)

what you want to change is point generation not limit.

1 decade ago

No. chances aren't the same. In first one, you need to be luckier then 199 people. In second option, you have to be luckier then 995 people (assuming you have same set of 1000 people enter each giveaway).

1 decade ago

Except that with more points in circulation there are no longer 99 people on each of those 10 giveaways, but hundreds. The more points you have to spare -> the more points others have to spare -> the more people entering each giveaway -> the lower your chances per giveaway.

Not that I have anything against the current system...

1 decade ago

I do agree that there are a lot more people entering giveaways for games that they aren't interested in which has resulted in a lot of regifting/trading games that they've won.

I don't think that everyone should be punished by having their points lowered though.

Maybe a new system of reduced points for rule breakers could be implemented by the staff the same way giveaways are reduced because of deleted ones?

1 decade ago

Here's my idea. If a game is currently in a bundle for $1 (Humble Bundle, Indiegala, whatever) then there should be a limit of giveaways of that game per day.

Example: Say Game1 is on Humble Bundle.
Only 25 Game1 giveaways could be made per day.

If someone tries to make one, it says "17 giveaways left for this game today."
If it gets to zero, "Sorry, no more giveaways for this game today."

1 decade ago

I'm not sure how well that would work though, I think that would end up driving away users which is what CG doesn't want.

1 decade ago

reduced points for rule breakers?
Permaban for rule breakers

1 decade ago

There are different levels of rules that are broken though, I think perma banning everyone that breaks a rule is a little harsh.

1 decade ago

"resulted in a lot of regifting/trading games that they've won."

1 decade ago

Yes, those would be part of the different levels or rules being broken by users.

I haven't set up a tier system for the severity of infractions mostly because I'm not a moderator on this site and because I haven't really given it much though. I'd leave that to the support staff. I just don't think that perma bans for every rule breaker is the way to go.

1 decade ago

I already ran out of points on things I wanted and have 170 points left, so I need to look more closely thereforce 300 is fine

Now to enter more games I sorta want a tiny bit

1 decade ago

Cool story bro. You caer too much.

1 decade ago

No one asked you.

1 decade ago

I do.

1 decade ago

If people could only enter a giveaway for 1 game at a time (I mean only 1 entry for Binding of Isaac at a time)This could be fixed.

1 decade ago

Then what if someone really wants a game?, then they have a small chance of winning, sure there will be less entries then normal, but i think at the end there is a higher chance of winning if it stays the same

1 decade ago

Actually, the opposite might work better: let people enter multiple times. If you really want something you'll put your points into multiple entries. People who want to enter a bunch of different giveaways will have to spread it around.

It's a possibility that could be worth considering.

1 decade ago

This is WAY better than only being able to join once. I don't know if this will be better than the current system though.

1 decade ago

It removes the core feature of SG which is that every member has equal chance of winning. I do not see that it would be altered in any way.

1 decade ago

I disagree.

1 decade ago

That's bad idea, better ban all ppl which have 832 or less games on Steam!!!

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

1 decade ago

Luckily, no one is asking you how many points we should have.

1 decade ago

This is the greatest comment in Steamgifts history.

/thread

1 decade ago

Not everyone is a douchebag regifter. I only enter giveaways for games i am honestly interested in, and I run out of points often.
Sometimes I sit on the 300 points for a while, because nothing pops up that interests me. Other times, there games i am interested in, and enter dozens of giveaways for that game at the same time. Example: Shank 2 and the basement collection.

1 decade ago

unfortunately lots of people do enter giveaways just to regift, sell orrrrrrrrrrr the most common one "enter things for gifts they don't care about just because they have points and like to have more tiles on their steam gifts page"

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

1 decade ago

I enter stuff that I really didn't know about when I first saw it but I do research and find out what it is about. But honestly at this point in time there are two games I really, REALLY want to get and those are Dungeon Defenders and Killing Floor. But, I can see what you mean by 300 points being too many.

1 decade ago

Maybe just maybe there are 2000+ cheapskates out here that want the same games as you and everyone else. I don't know why, but a lot of people seem to like similar games.

1 decade ago

you mean like all those entries on the black ops ii made by a newly registered user with barely any games in their library?

1 decade ago

Lmao, that is a good example.

1 decade ago

Goddamnit, Locke.

1 decade ago

:)

1 decade ago

Meh.

1 decade ago

No, lesser points mean you're catering for no lifers who f5 steamgifts every hour

1 decade ago

+1

1 decade ago

And currently it doesn't?

1 decade ago

no

1 decade ago

no

1 decade ago

nope

1 decade ago

Another idea that we could do that would also cut out leechers would be do away with points all together, remove the random win and just exchange games with people that had the best offers. We could call the site SteamExchanges or something.

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 month ago.

1 decade ago

thatsthejoke.jpg

1 decade ago

+1

1 decade ago

Deleted

1 decade ago

lol, I am a dick by nature, so I am rarely serious unless I am serious.

1 decade ago

Deleted

1 decade ago

dun dun dun... most likely. ^_^

1 decade ago

I want everything cause I'm a game hungry monster. Eventually I'll play them all. Just takes me time. Really it doesn't matter anyways as I've given away way more than I've won. Sometimes I end up buying the game I was trying to win.

1 decade ago

64 points ought to be enough for anybody!

1 decade ago

ive heard quite a few people say "i only entered because i had the points i'll never play it" ...oh well.

1 decade ago

i've heard people say "i only entered it to trade the game. i have no interest in it."

1 decade ago

Haha, wow.

1 decade ago

I think they should make it so you put 25 games on your wishlist and those are the only games you can enter for. That way it makes you choose which games you really want.

1 decade ago

that's not a bad idea.

1 decade ago

Points mostly build up when bundles are running. When there are no bundles active, points accumulate slower. Admittedly, bundles can sometimes seem an almost constant occurrence...

Cutting the point cap to 200 would favor people who check SteamGifts more often. People who check every few hours (and short duration giveaways already give you an incentive to constantly check the site) will be able to spend just about as many points as they could before the cap was lowered. (On a heavy giveaway day, you might "lose" an extra 100 points while you sleep, but you can keep emptying the points you accumulate through the day.)

A lower cap might also encourage people to bank points in 3-4 week duration giveaways. If you find there is nothing you particularly want, you dump your excess points in long duration giveaways to free up room to accumulate more. If you find you need the points later, you drop out of some of those giveaways. If you don't find anything you want, and your "banks" are about to expire, then you cancel out of them and dump the points into other 3-4 week giveaways. With a cap of 300, there just isn't that much incentive to act like that. But if you lower the cap, you make it a more viable practice.

A lower cap might also encourage people to enter more giveaways for games that they aren't really concerned about, just so they won't "waste" those points. No, I'm not saying it will be worse than what happens with the current cap, but a cap drop might not bring about as much a change as some might expect.

1 decade ago

Thanks for actually giving some constructive input.

You're right that it might not be much of a change, but I think it will certainly make people think more before dumping their points and will make them choose wisely, which is really the point I'm trying to bring across. Less redundant entries, higher odds for those who are genuinely interested, less people taking wins for granted. Seems like a win-win.

1 decade ago

Nice input, and I agree. I see the point in lowering the limit, but I don't think it's really motivated.

1 decade ago

If people have enough points to enter DLC giveaways when they don't even own the game (which they do, in swarms) then there are either two many points in the system, or life has dealt each and every one of these individuals a grievous injustice of the cranial variety, and it is a jaw-dropping miracle that they are even able to locate their computers, let alone successfully switch them on and find their way onto the internet...

1 decade ago

Isn't it supposed to be impossible to enter for DLC to a game you don't own? Or do some slip through the cracks?

1 decade ago

some slip

1 decade ago

Not always, unfortunately :(

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by elyucaye.