Hello guys,

Some time ago I bought a x360 controller to play Dark Souls with a friend. I discovered that there is a lot of games that I can enjoy with my controller, like Spelunky, Mark of the Ninja, Gianna Sisters, Super meat boy, Batman Arkham Series, Tomb Raider, Limbo, Audiosurf, etc.

But in the last HB I got the BTA including The King of Figther 'cause when I had PS1 a played a lot the 98 and 99 versions.
When I opened the game and checked the tutorials I noticed that it's almost impossible to do a special move without making your character jumping a lot before you execute the move, after a lot of tries.

Did this happen to you? I feel like playing this game but the x360 controller sucks for this...
Would you recommend another controller? Practice? Stop crying? hehe

Thanks in advance and sorry for the bad english.

9 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Arcade Stick , FTW.

9 years ago

buy an arcade stick...hori v3 sa or madcats te

9 years ago

In my "carreer" I've beaten every single arcade stick I've ever seen with my controller, from Guilty Gear to Tekken.
It depends from person to person, if you don't really go for the pro-tier an rcade stick is a stupid purchase, besides you can pull off every technique with a pad too, it requires slightly more practice, that' all.
Besides it's pretty satisfying to beat up someone with an arcade stick with my adapted ps2 controller and then saying: "sure that stick was a good investment" cue to evil laugh XD

9 years ago

Yeah with my old ps1 controller I could perform all of my moves without failing.
In the x360 I try multiple times to execute the command but in the end I just jump, some kicks and punches at random :(
I am going to buy a adaptor and test with my old PS2 controller.

9 years ago

Still, it will probably be kinda harder than expected, for me it' different because I simply CAN'T use a stick after half a life of controllers XD, so for me it's an easy call. I played tekken 6 even on PSP, obviously no stick, and I could play perfectly with it too (Mokujin main XD)

Besides I do not like how stick-players make it feel like fighting games have become pay2win games... which kinda sucks.

9 years ago

play in a real arcade for once in your life and then come here to yap about fighting games or fighting game players. i think you have high opinions about your skill level.

you are also referring to a console driven game meant to be played with gamepad.

9 years ago

No game is meant to be played with the 360 D-pad! :)

9 years ago

sure but, i was talking about tekken :)

9 years ago

I know, I know. ;)

9 years ago

Yeah, the Xbox 360 controller is pretty terrible for fighting games. There are some competitive players that somehow pull it off in MvC3 though.

My recommendation would be that you try keyboard. Only, set it up like a Hitbox Controller. use S, D, F, Spacebar for movement and Numpad 7, 8, 9, 4, 5, 6 for your punches and kicks and such (alternatively, you can use U, I, O, J, K, L if your keyboard ghosts with the former). It takes a bit to get used to spacebar being up/jump, but once you get used to it it's MUCH more comfortable than WASD when it comes to fighting games.

9 years ago

Nice, I didnt know the Hitbox Controller. I'll take a look if is it worth for me. Thanks

9 years ago

Yeah, it feels more comfortable and ergonomic since you don't have to constantly move your middle finger like you would if you were to use WASD.

The only real difficulty at first is pulling off semi-circle or 360 motions. HitBox themselves have provided video tutorials for all the various fighting game techniques in case you have trouble pulling off certain moves though. And I think KOF XII only really requires that you hit the cardinal directions (up, right, down, left) for 360/semi-circle motions, so you don't really have to worry about diagonals.

9 years ago

KOF XIII is the only fighting game I've had problems with when playing with an X360 controller, to be honest.
As TimidTofu said, using your keyboard is probably your best option.

9 years ago

You can mod your 360 to have a transforming d-pad. It's shown in this video
It seems really cheap to do and I plan on doing it myself when I get the money.
Aside from if you have a PS2 controller you can buy a PS2 to USB adapter which is great because some games don't detect the 360 triggers or d-pad.

9 years ago

After seein' your comment, I checked my pile of old things and I found my PS2 adapter and 2 ps2 controllers, and they was working fine!

It was like I was playin' another game! And I played with my wife in the TV for a long time.

9 years ago

You can play with the keyboard (re-binding will be probably necessary). If you really wanna spend extra money for a dedicated controller which might or might not improve your performance, of course buy an arcade stick. :D

9 years ago

Finally, someone understands me.I hate my controller, only racing and some indie games feel good with it.Tried Dark Souls 2 in my friends house with my controller, keyboard is a lot easier and feels better.

I don't like controllers.

9 years ago

Dark Souls 1 is almost impossible to play with the keyboard. That's why I bought this controller.

9 years ago

I like my PS3/PC Gamepad, is the best, i think. =o
I don't like Xbox 360 controller, is too big and... Weird(?) is just my opinion, i played all my life with PS controllers and i really love them. With Keyboard is not bad, but is tiring after a while.

9 years ago

It's all a matter of taste, when I play on a friends PS3, it feels awful, the controller is too small for my (not even that) manly hands :P also I always lose the grip on the sticks and L2/R2 feels bad, but the D-Pad is better on the PS controller.

9 years ago

Try the Xbox One controller, it actually has an USABLE D-PAD now.

9 years ago

Yeah, it's crap.

This happens because fighting games have 8-way inputs. When you extrapolate those 8 possible directions to flippin' 360 you can expect trouble to happen.
Also the 360 d-pad is crap.

And then, the 360 is also useless for 6 button fighters like Street Fighter or MvC.

9 years ago

Well, it's not good. But if you practice a bit you will get used to it. I play KOF XIII with it and I don't have any major troubles, can make combos and specials quite easily. But, I played a lot of KOF in my life so maybe I just find it easy to use because I'm really used to play the game.
Anyway, Xbox 360 controller d-pad is far, far, far away from an arcade stick, but I will not use the keyboard over it in this game...

9 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.