I'm still using a Dell monitor for almost a decade now (it doesn't even have HDMI input) and I think it's time for me to get a new monitor. Can someone recommend me a monitor under $120 - $170? It would mainly be used for gaming, watching movies, web, etc.

Also, what specs do I look for when buying a monitor?

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

I use this one 23" Acer G236HLBbd its for 127eur[174.74 US Dollar] in my store but maybe you can get it cheaper now...after year+ using it, I have to say its pretty good

1 decade ago

ASUS VS-228H It's pretty good, I use one myself and it's in your price range

1 decade ago

I like that monitor. I'd consider buying it if I needed another monitor today.

1 decade ago

Thanks.

It's right on $140 - $150 for me since I'm from Canada.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236176
http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=64579

1 decade ago

This LG is on sale on ncix.

http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=86270&vpn=22EN33T-B&manufacture=LG%20Electronics&promoid=1115

EDIt: You'll probably want Matte over Gloss no matter what screen you get.

1 decade ago

Where does it say Matte or Gloss?

Edit: Never mind. Found it at Physical Characteristics Color:

1 decade ago

Why would he want matte? Gloss is much better.

1 decade ago

Gloss looks better to many people, but can introduce glare into your eyes when gaming, depending on position of lights/sunlight near the monitor.

1 decade ago

I have never had any problems with gloss or reflections

1 decade ago

it reflects everything :O

1 decade ago

You can't get an IPS monitor for that amount of money, and you shouldn't buy a monitor that's not IPS.

1 decade ago

Not strictly true if input lag is a concern. TN panels are much preferable in that case, especially 120/144 Hz ones.

1 decade ago

What's IPS?

1 decade ago

An IPS monitor renders color better than TN display types.

An IPS monitor also provides a rather large viewing angle that is of great value if people will be looking at your monitor at an extreme angle. That is worthless to anyone sitting at they keyboard, directly in front of the monitor.

An IPS monitor provides a slower refresh rate than a comparably priced TN monitor. You won't get a gaming quality IPS monitor at a price near his budget.

While IPS is superior in some visual aspects, gaming quality monitors are not cheap. For his budget and his purposes, I suggest he stay with TN based monitors.

1 decade ago

There's no difference between a "gaming" and a "non-gaming" monitor. But there's a difference between IPS and TN, even if you're sitting directly in front of the screen.

Anyway, I see a $130 monitor above that's on a huge sale, and that's what he should buy.

1 decade ago

I'm talking about pixel refresh rates. This has a rather important influence on gaming performance, as I previously mentioned. Just moving an object across the screen quickly will show the difference.

1 decade ago

22EA63V is very solid for the price.

1 decade ago

This 23" LG eIPS is $130 after coupon code

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005364

1 decade ago

You might notice some motion blurring with that monitor. A typical IPS monitor's pixels refresh in around 1/3 the time.

For movies, this monitor is an insane deal. But for gaming, not so much.

1 decade ago

Nope.. no blur effects. I have the same. Thats the monitor i wanted to recommend.... best deal.

BTW refresh rate is bs.... almost every monitor today has a good refresh rate around 10 ms g2g ....... what you should check is the input lag... that monitor has a tolerable input lag. Even for games.

1 decade ago

I admit that I am surprised that a 14ms refresh rate monitor is not noticeable compared to 5ms, let alone 2ms.

Maybe it's suitable for you but not for me, like different mice shapes.

I must now suggest that the OP look at some screens in a store to learn what specs he likes the most, then shop for a monitor close to those specs within his budget.

Personally, I window shop a little in person, then purchase online.

1 decade ago

What are the main specs that I should look at when buying a monitor?

1 decade ago

Refresh rate. Every monitor has a maximum FPS that they can display. If they're sent anything higher than that from your GPU, it will be invisible at best, and cause some framerate tearing at worst. 60Hz refresh equals a max visible fps of 60. 120Hz is 120fps, but also means 60fps 3D, if you're buying a monitor capable of outputting 3D movies.

Response time. This is how fast each physical monitor pixel can change what it's displaying. The faster this is, the less motion blur. Higher refresh rate monitors tend to have lower response time, but these are not directly correlated.

Screen size and resolution. Larger screens can cause neck strain if sitting too close, but are great for distant viewing. But consider how large you want the screen to be within your field of vision. Example, if you put an iPhone screen close enough to your face, it's the same size as a 32" screen. Therefore, screen size and resolution are both important. The perfect match will make it impossible to see where one pixel ends another begins, which is what Apple's Retina Display does. How far you sit from your screen will also affect this. If you can't tell if you're looking at a screen or a painting, you've reached or surpassed the limit of your own eyes, which may be better or worse than other people. Past this point, you can't see the resolution difference. In-store demonstrations can help you figure out what screen size is perfect for you, given the distance you sit from the screen.

Color depth. Things like how accurate the colors are on the screen, how vibrant they look. Also related is how pure the white and black color is. Some cheaper LCDs can't do real black, and instead display extremely dark red. Rare to see today.

If you intend to use a multi-monitor display, such as EyeFinity, you'll want the thinnest bezels possible. Or removable bezels, check forums for recommended models with easily removed bezels.

The descriptions of these should help you determine which of these is the most important to you, as it may differ from what I believe.

If you use Nvidia GPUs, consider waiting for G-Sync monitors. They are supposed to lower their refresh rate to exactly match the FPS output of the GPU, reducing incidence of noticeable FPS stutter and eliminate screen tearing.

EDIT: This info from Newegg.com should also be helpful.

1 decade ago

Thanks

1 decade ago

Newegg has it listed wrongly as 14ms but the 234V models are actually 5 ms. Not that GTG response times really mean anything. It's impossible to say how much motion blur any monitor has without seeing a hands-on review.

1 decade ago

If this really is 5ms, it's a great spec at a great price. Double check with other stores, and be certain you can return for refund, including shipping, if dissatisfied.

1 decade ago

Sadly, there's no stock in the Canada site.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005364CVF

and it costs $210 on NCIX.

1 decade ago

This is $250 USD, but its worth it. I have the older model of it and its great. Plus 27 inches is huge for a monitor. AOC 27" LED Monitor

1 decade ago

Too expensive for me. :(

1 decade ago

The larger the monitor, the higher the price per inch. Sitting closer and turning brightness down would be my option. 23" seems to be the sweet spot for price vs HD gaming suitability.

Also consider how far you sit from the monitor. If you need to move your head a lot to see all aspects of the game's HUD, the monitor may be too large for you, or you may need to sit farther away.

Huge monitors are great for videos, but may not be ideal for gaming. For videos, you can pick up a much larger television. They're cheaper because their refresh rates are much slower, often resulting in noticeable motion blur. For videos, this isn't much of an issue.

1 decade ago

I read the title as

Can someone recommend me a mother around $120 - $150?

xD

1 decade ago

Eh....that's so wrong in so many ways.

1 decade ago

ikr xD

1 decade ago

If I bump the budget to $170, would it be worth it to consider ASUS VH238H or ASUS VE247H?

1 decade ago

do NOT buy a TN monitor.... simply doesn't worth it. Do you want to watch 262k color (buy TN than) or 16m color ?

1 decade ago

What are you even talking about. There are plenty of reasons to use TN monitors.

Oh I see the confusion. You've missed that all cheap IPS monitors are e-IPS and are 6-bit. The same as TN panels

1 decade ago

Name 1 reason.. i don't know any reason why buying a TN panel would be good for anyone...maybe the price. An e-IPS panel is far more superior then any TN panel.

1 decade ago

Price. Input lag. Refresh rate.

You brought up the color depth. They're both 6-bit panels that are augmented with some other techniques to hit 16m colors or so. Your argument is completely invalid.

1 decade ago

1 decade ago

What are the improvements over the other monitors?

It's at $240 in Canada. http://www.ncix.ca/products/index.php?sku=75619

1 decade ago

It's an IPS.. thats the price difference.

1 decade ago

ASUS VS229HR. If you dont mind about 22'. Sold tons of those this year.

1 decade ago

Try boxing day. I've seen it as low as $180 a few days ago and I heard that it makes the images "pop out" more :P also, it's not LED XD I'm planning to get this later on

1 decade ago

It's not LED? Doesn't it say "ASUS PB238Q IPS LED monitor; Panel Type: IPS LED panel " ?

1 decade ago

Whoops I think I was thinking about another monitor XD

Edit: Nvm I wasn't thinking about another monitor. Pcpartpicker just displayed it wrong

Edit 2: I think it's lcd monitor with led backlit so it produces better images etc

1 decade ago

Yeah, I saw that too.

I should have gotten it on Black Friday. :(

1 decade ago

http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=69381&vpn=GW2750HM&manufacture=BenQ&promoid=1115

This looks very good. It's only 230$ if you buy it today ;)

1 decade ago

I think 27" is too big for me. xD

1 decade ago

A tech forum is a better place to ask

1 decade ago

I don't know any tech forums. Can you provide a link to one?

1 decade ago

I guess I'll save up and hope they have a sale on Boxing Day for a ASUS PB238Q.

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by frozened.