I have no idea how to use third-party to cool my gpu, but for my cpu I do and I was wondering what a pretty decent cooler might be that I could find on newegg.com or somewhere of the sort. And I heard you can put thermal paste on your gpu ot cool it. Where do I put it lol? I'm also hunting for a new keyboard and I think i'm going to go with the razer black widow ultimate 2013 edition straight from their website.

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

I would look for Zalman coolers, those I have successfully used for 2 of my last PCs - both GPU and CPU. And they are of a good quality, too.
For up to date recommendations on exact models, I would google it.

If it's your first time applying thermal paste, better watch out for some instructions (probably they have some on youtube). It's not really difficult to do.

And for attaching it onto GPU, I used to do that when video cards did not come boxed, e.g. 6600GT. That way, the process is no different from applying it to CPU. If the video card is boxed (has a cover with integrated cooler), I would look for instructions on the internet whether it is possible to remove the cover and proceed. Be careful about this though, don't proceed if you are not sure.

1 decade ago

+1

1 decade ago

Ok gotcha ;) thanks

1 decade ago

For CPU coolers, I would recommend a Cooler Master Hyper 212 if on a budget or Noctua NH-D14/Phantek if you want the best air cooling.

Razer Blackwidow is a terrible mechanical for the price.

Look at one of these brands instead: Filco, WASD, Das, Ducky, Rosewill, Leopold. KBC and Cooler Master are also decent.

1 decade ago

+1

212 is 20 last time I checked at newegg, I paid 35 and it was well worth it. He is also very right about the keyboards, those are better then the Razers if you can live without it looking super fancy.

1 decade ago

Ducky Shine is pretty fancy with that backlight.

1 decade ago

Get a Corsair Hydro H100 or H80 for CPU. They are great, easy to use and perform well for the price.

Also, if you do not know how to use thermal paste or how to apply a GPU cooler, I would stick to stock cooling on the GPU and just get something for the CPU, like the Corsair water coolers.

1 decade ago

I use cooler master hyper TX3 cpu cooler and keeps my temps cool at 29c with my cpu overclocked from 3.0GHz to 3.6GHz

1 decade ago

Heh, yours looks like a smaller version of mine ;)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118059

I love it though, I have a large 200mm fan on the side panel so I just didn't use the fan this beast and still get better temps then a stock cooler. I have a phenom 2 so they bring a bit of heat but I max at 42c in summer so far. I can drop it further by adding the 120mm fan but no need as I am in safe margin and dont need the extra noise.

1 decade ago

95% of the time I work with a dead video card I find that the killer was dust caked into narrow ventilation pathways. What happens is dust accumulates into the lanes and creates a seal not allowing air to pass through the hard heats up and micro-fractures occur and card dies. Most people are not comfortable with disassembling a video card to clean it so that is why I always suggest to use open style coolers that simply bounce air off exposed fins to expel heat. This way you can also see if dust is an issue and clean it if you have a case window. I just recently had a XFX 9600 GSO from a neighbor die this way.

This is the type of cooler you should avoid buying
That is unless you are happy buying video cards yearly to stay up to date.. but then you would likely stick with a stock cooler.

For CPU coolers, generally look for something with lots of copper and your set if you matched it to your CPU socket type.

1 decade ago

Hyper 212 EVO for great price/performance cooling. And if you're not doing insanely high OC'ing, there's no reason to get aftermarket GPU cooling

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by Roserade.