thought it was 50 for a while

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Yes, it's not only batman. LA Noire was $45, now $90. MW3 is $100.
We get ripped off, the only solution is finding people from other regions to "gift" us or cd keys store.

Valve prices are fair :D

1 decade ago

When your country's minimum wage is twice the US's, expect to pay the same on goods. ;)

1 decade ago

hey, we're still not that rich!

1 decade ago

Because, sending a few gig over the internet costs double for the land down under, right?

1 decade ago

Isn't Valve setting prices, it's the publishers, who generally are being blueballed by retailers in a feeble attempt to stay relevant (similar deal with how certain Steamworks games are not sold in the UK steam store at all).

1 decade ago

Blackballing and blue balls are two different things. XD

1 decade ago

It's funnier if you pretend they aren't.

1 decade ago

1.07AUD = 1US
Therefore our games should be the same if not cheaper. Apple lowered their prices from 1.19 to 1AUD because of this, why not the publishers?

1 decade ago

US Federal Minimum wage, $7.25. Australian Federal Minimum Wage, as of July 1, 2011, $15.51.

1 decade ago

Said it before, I'll say it again

"Because, sending a few gig over the internet costs double for the land down under, right?"

1 decade ago

It's all about supply and demand, with demand being the key factor here. If the demand is the same in both countries, but the people in one get paid roughly twice as much as the people in the other country, then it only makes sense to charge more to the people who are able to pay more. It's just basic economics.

Think of it this way: If you go to buy a car and you tell the dealer that you only have $30k to spend, then they aren't going to try to sell you a run down used car for $10k, they are going to try to sell you a car at the top value you can afford. It's the same situation here.

Your statement "Because, sending a few gig over the internet costs double for the land down under, right?" is made completely irrelevant when you consider the fact that it's a digital copy of a game, and therefore should cost less to buy than the hard copy no matter where you are buying it, but this is not true.

1 decade ago

Trust obviously doesn't understand world economics.

1 decade ago

Lithuania's minimum monthly salary is 230 euros, we pay 60 for mw3...

1 decade ago

Touche (I think...I don't really know if that's a lot or very little).

1 decade ago

Maybe that is your monthly salary, but the average salary in Lithuania is 479 euros.

And the average monthly income for Australians after taxes is around 3000 dollars or 2152 euros.

1 decade ago

MW3 is 29.99$, Batman AC is 25.99$, L.A. Noire is 17.89$ in Russia.
Just for statistic)

1 decade ago

EHHH RUSSIA!!!!!

1 decade ago

O.o

1 decade ago

Well mimimum wage in Russia is quite a bit worse than in US. That price is pretty fair, retails are also sold at 20-30$

1 decade ago

4611 rub (~150 usd)... in month.

1 decade ago

once again minimum wage isn't the factor its average income for the country that affects prices.

1 decade ago

I live in Belarus, average wage now is ~ 80-100$ and we pay a +20-30% cost of games because of exchange differences.. So i didnt think ur situation with 45$ that's bad, guys :D
I waiting for torchlight 2 and i really fear of its price, cuz give up a 30% of a wage for a game it is a pretty badass, u know :D

1 decade ago

So buy it from Greenmangaming.com, its $40 (For Australians as well).

1 decade ago

It's nothing in comparison to Poland - the minimum wage is 1,5€/h and the prices are following: MW3 60€, La Noire 45€, Batman 50€. So an Australian who earns the minimum has to work ~6 hours for one of the games bought in his/her region, whereas Poles - 30. That's what they call a rip-off.

Of course prices of boxed versions of these games are cheaper (0,5 x price), but still - it's insane.

1 decade ago

In Russia Price on MW2 - 20$
On new Batman - 23.5$

1 decade ago

Ага, покупал одному парню из Европы (цены в евро, а Жирный решил, что $1=€1) Deus Ex.

1 decade ago

I'm Australian and buy my games online and import it. The prices overseas seem reasonable. I only ever buy on steam when they have sales on as I don't support the publishers price gouging us. You should look into it (check out ozgameshop.com, they are a UK company that only sell to Aus/NZ at UK retail prices). The more people that import games, the less demand their is and it will show up in the publishers accounts. Then they may actually do something about it.

1 decade ago

A lot of of publishers have agreements with retail unions across Australia. They are trying to protect the "retail market". Australians import games everyday from the UK mostly, trying to send a message to the retail market, we don't need them.

And for those yapping about minimum wage, cost of living is a lot higher than the US.

At the end of the day, it's digital distribution, no physical goods.

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by supersonic09.