I've recently come across the second occurrence of this bug, and it seems to be making its comeback. Through my searches on the forums, this bug was apparently occurring a couple years ago. Well, it's back again and it can cause some issues. Not only might it lower the entry amount on affected giveaways, but it needlessly spends the points of the entrants.

In one instance (which appears to have since then been fixed), it appeared the issue was a result of misidentifying a $99.99 package containing the game on Steam with the game being given away. In the instance linked below, it appears that the same reason is the likely culprit.

I suspect that it's likely a bug in the code identifying which game, and may be related to SteamGift's recent addition of "Recommended Sales", since it appears to operate as an intermediary link between SteamGifts and the Steam Store page in question.

Hopefully, this bug report can help bring notice to the issue and lead to a speedy fix.

Link to the giveaway in question: http://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/jWf9z/serious-sam-hd-the-first-encounter

EDIT: Oh damn it, typo in the poll. It should say "affected BY this bug", not with this bug. Oh well, can't change it now.

Update

The following is a list of links to all known instances of this occurring. If you would like for me to add to this list, post in the thread letting me know. If you would like one removed for whatever reasons, likewise state so below and explain why you'd like it removed. Hopefully this list will help document its occurrences and reveal a pattern which may help the staff find the solution:

Related Incidents:

Update 2: Official Response

9 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

How many giveaways have you found affected with this bug? (Before this thread, of course.)

View Results
5+

Its because it is getting the Complete Pack price, and the error is on Valve's end since they are sending out the data incorrectly because of a temporary glitch.

9 years ago

So this is a glitch on Valve's side, not SteamGifts? Do you have any additional information about this, such as a statement from Valve or evidence of its occurrence? For what it's worth, I haven't really noticed this occur on SteamCompanion, and we rely on the same API and information that Valve provides as does SteamGifts.

9 years ago

Delta talking out of his ass as always. xD

9 years ago

Oh look, its that fool again.

9 years ago

There are times I may act foolish, yet at least I can properly construct a sentence. Even more important in terms of character, I don't lie and make stuff up like it's a fact, such as yourself.

9 years ago

Right, whatever you say. You are just sore about the blacklist. Acting like I talk out my arse when I'm (correctly) informing people about stuff is foolish. Posting links I don't want shared here to be a jerk. Posting in my topics on other sites saying I'm a scammer or the like.

You act like a spoiled child. I might not be able to remember what you did to earn your place there in the first place, but your actions since have only ensured I don't regret it.

9 years ago

lol Making up more lies I see. I could care less about your giveaways m8.
I've never said you were a scammer, just a liar and someone with no manners or intellectual gravitas.
Have fun with that. :D

9 years ago

Why don't you just stick with SteamCompanion then?

9 years ago

What does that have to do with anything? I'm just mentioning how SteamCompanion works and whether it has been affected since it may be helpful.

9 years ago

Valve store image. Like I said, their end.

View attached image.
9 years ago

That is what Rinarin thinks, as well, so maybe that is the case.

9 years ago

Seems to happen when the cost of the pack is less than the cost of the regular game, since the regular game is not on sale ($14.99)

Spoke with the admin, and he doesn't like to force price corrections in these cases, because the issue will resolve itself when the sale is over, whereas if he puts in a fixed price for the game, then it's not going to update automatically if there's a price change.

9 years ago

That makes sense. Should I close this thread, since it's pretty much already decided?

9 years ago

I don't think he needs to "force price correction" but needs to look at the script that parses the information from the Steam API -- because obviously there's a flaw which is why Nokkenbuer stated SteamCompanion never has the same issue.

Hint:

<div class=\"game_purchase_price price\" itemprop=\"price\">

It's not "on Steam's end" it's just invalid parsing on SteamGift's end.

Edit add: Also, to break it down for the given example of Serious Sam. You'd be pulling http://store.steampowered.com/api/appdetails/?appids=41000
The SG page appears to invalidly pull the price and point value from the initial "price_overview" however the "discount_original_price\" could also be part of the problem as I don't know your client-side functions.

"price_overview":{"currency":"USD","initial":9999,"final":1000,"discount_percent":90}
<span class=\"discount_original_price\">$99.99<\/span> 

But perhaps what should be parsed is the very first instance of "price_in_cents_with_discount".

{"packageid":"2535","percent_savings_text":"-0%","percent_savings":0,"option_text":"Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter - $14.99","option_description":"","can_get_free_license":"0","is_free_license":false,"price_in_cents_with_discount":1499}
9 years ago*

I've noticed this seems to crop up only when complete packs are on sale. I wonder if there is a connection.

9 years ago

That's my suspicion as well. The bug probably lies in misidentifying an item for the package in which it could be found, and typically that package is offered on the same Store Page as the item, right below it. If any moderators or coders are searching for where the bug might lie, I'd recommend starting in that area of the code.

9 years ago

yep

9 years ago

That giveaway you linked looks familiar...
http://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/fgIdW/serious-sam-hd-the-first-encounter
Edit: I looked around a bit and enhanced steam regional price thingy shows "Not available in this region" under this games US price. So I guess it is available only in package now, from where SG takes its price.

9 years ago*

It certainly fits the pattern. Mind it I add that to the original post?

9 years ago

Add away. Also check my edit.

9 years ago

That's strange. I live in the US and both links show up normally for me. I can still purchase both as well. According to a friend of mine (the guy who created the Crusader Kings II giveaway linked above), it may have to do with the fact that Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter was listed at $100 at one point, at least in Europe. I don't know if this is true, and I can't find evidence of this, but I thought I might as well share that anyway.

9 years ago

Yea, I messed with ZenMate a bit and it seems to be available in US. Anyway this bug is probably due to package sale. I remember this giveway changing point cost between complete and regular version of the game at least two times.

9 years ago

Does it have anything to do with sales maybe? The Half-If the previously affected giveaways automatically fixed themselves, I'd think so, but if they were manually fixed I'd imagine the problem is bigger since it wasn't already absolved. We'll see March 7th I guess if no answer beforehand?

Edit: Didn't see sales were already suspected. Either way, hope it can be rectified easily server-side. :D

9 years ago*

We had this happen before but I can't recall if it was fixed manually or the store got fixed.

In any case, as mentioned earlier, it has to do with the prices Steam reports. SG doesn't randomly price a game with the pack's price. To prove this, here is a screenshot of searching Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter on the Steam store. You can see the price (before discount), I assume.

9 years ago

Thanks for the information! I'll add a link to this post in the original post.

Should I close this thread, since this bug appears to be on Steam's side?

9 years ago

Chaos on Deponia - 60p

9 years ago

This!

9 years ago

Hmm, my assumption is that when you ask for a specific game price from the Steam API, it brings you the cheapest item providing this game (individual game or package). If the indiviual game price is higher than a package including this game, then Steam API will choose the package (which is very rare, since when there's a discount on a package, there's also a discount on concerned individual games as well most of the time). My guess is that when the discount on the package end, this bug no longer appear.

9 years ago

Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter 100p guess its time to make giveaways for that game ;p. Jking thought I was going insane when I saw one costing 100p. Plus it isnt a great game.

9 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 9 years ago.

9 years ago

Thanks! And sorry that the thread was closed because of mine. :x

9 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.