I need to get a controller for my computer and I haven't gotten one for the PC in a long time. Microsoft makes a regular wired controller and a Wired controller for Windows. I heard somewhere that I could just get a regular wired controller and that would work.

Is that right? I have Windows 8 if that makes a difference.

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Correct. Windows will detect and install the wired one without a problem.

1 decade ago

Yep, I use a wireless receiver to use my controller on my computer, but the wired controllers just use USB and can be plugged right in. The one that says for Windows might come with a CD that contains software that you can get online anyway, but they don't make separate controllers for windows, specifically.

1 decade ago

Thanks guys.

1 decade ago

I bought a gamestop XBox 360 controller for my laptop and it works perfectly. I just had to install the driver for it on Microsoft's page...

1 decade ago

This, I bought a used one from gamestop except I didn't have to look up any drivers. xP

1 decade ago

Naw. I bought one that was made by Gamestop. lolz XD

1 decade ago

Oh! Haha, I didn't know they made their own. lol

1 decade ago

I use a 360 wired controller and it works perfectly.

1 decade ago

I have the wireless 360 controller and it worked fine on Windows 7 64-bits without the installer CD.
Tip: if you want to use more than one wireless controller on PC, buy only one with the USB reciver, the extra controllers without it. Cause you can use 4 controllers with only one reciver.

1 decade ago

Thanks for the tip ;)

1 decade ago

If you bought a receiver, you could use a wireless too, but still have to deal with the batteries and such.

1 decade ago

I recently had this debate as well. I ended up getting the Logitech F310, which is actually cheaper and just as good. It supports both Xinput and DirectInput, which theoretically supports more games. The only downside is that it doesn't support rumble but that doesn't bother me at all. Logitech also makes a more expensive one that has rumble and wireless as well if you are actually interested in that.

1 decade ago

+1
Also bought the F310 recently, excellent controller for the price!

1 decade ago

Logitech F510 or unwired for 10 euro more F710

1 decade ago

My advice, save your money from the microsoft controller, use any wired USB controller with the proper number of buttons and download the xbox360controller emulator.

Will make any controller function the same as the 360, just find one that's comfortable for you. I use a snakebyte controller made for final fantasy 14 because it was 6$ and a GREAT deal. Good controller, wouldn't trade it in for the world.

1 decade ago

I just use a wired xbox 360 controller on pc, works like a charm. No additional setup / tweaking needed. just keep your eye out for a used one to cut down the costs (bought mine for like €10 at a local gameshop).

1 decade ago

You can use a regular wired Xbox 360 controller without any problems... I have one too and it's the best controller you can get :P

1 decade ago

Additionally, you can use the Xbox headset through the controller if you have one. Easier than going out and getting a mic!

1 decade ago

I use a rockcandy 360 controller (wired). cost about $25 at walmart (canada) and feels like a real 360 controller. Very happy with it.

1 decade ago

Get the controller for Windows. I also have Windows 8 and there's no problem in terms of compatibility.

1 decade ago

Might this be what you're looking for? also have for wireless.

1 decade ago

For wireless you will also need this or one of microsofts own recievers

1 decade ago

I bought the wired 360 controller, the one for the console, and is working fine (I have Win 8 64bit) with every supported game. I got it from Amazon in my country at a cheaper price than the pc version (wich is the same, just boxed different).

1 decade ago

Buy an XBOX 360 controller (doesn't matter if it's wired or not), don't bother with those shitty PS3 controllers, emulators and all that crap.

1 decade ago

it does matter actually. not all ofthem will work for windows but they will all work for the console. if you want a wired one that works with windows it has to say that specifically. if you want a wireless then it doesnt matter which one you get BUT you must get a wireless adapter for pc. i find this is the best option for one that workd with windows and console, and its always cheaper for some reason. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826105438&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL080613&cmmmc=EMC-IGNEFL080613--EMC-080613-Index--PCGameControllers--26105438-L018B

1 decade ago

Thanks for correcting me.

1 decade ago

well some people are saying im wrong about the wired controllers. something must be different in the newer models cause in the past they wouldnt work unless it said specifically windows support

1 decade ago

This is exactly what you need it works on windows and on xbox 360. the ones you get for xbox 360 specifically tho will not work with windows. ive bought 3 of them in the last year for myself and friends. and it is on sale right now for 25 bucks. its the samething you get if you pay 50-60 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826105438&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL080613&cmmmc=EMC-IGNEFL080613--EMC-080613-Index--PCGameControllers--26105438-L018B there is a promo code on the page

1 decade ago

All wired Xbox360 Controllers work on PC. The controllers for Windows just contain a CD with drivers, but you can download them on the microsoft page.

1 decade ago

they must have changed something in newer models then cause in the past they wouldnt work unless it specifically said so. either way the link i provided is pretty much the cheapest official Microsoft controller you can find

1 decade ago

This person is wrong. Wired 360 controllers work just fine with Windows. I use my wired 360 controllers on my PC all the time.

1 decade ago

Aye. Wired 360 controllers work automatically and beautifully on PC.

1 decade ago

Just make sure it's actually a wired controller and not the plug-n-play charge kit, as that will only charge when connected to your PC and nothing else. I picked up a wireless receiver for $15 and use 2 wireless Xbox controllers. You don't have to worry about batteries as you can use a spare USB slot for charging (as above).

1 decade ago

I have a 360 official wired pad that I bought to use with both my PC and my old housemate's console. It has always worked fine for both from the get-go (including after my multiple Windows reformats over the years).

1 decade ago

When I wanted a controller I got one off Ebay. From Hong-Kong trader, looked 99% like the xbox one, minus some colour and the logo on that shiny big button. It cost about 15-20$ with free shipping. One year later, it still works like charm, I'm happy I saved about 10 bucks :D

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by Chummy.