As title says, oh and have a little treat
2nd question: gtx 780 or whatever amd has that has the same or similar performance?

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Powerful single gpu is always better. Go for 780.

1 decade ago

Thank you

1 decade ago

If the choice is between 1 770 card and 2 760 cards (when you already have the first) you'll see much better performance from 2 760 cards

1 decade ago

Indeed. I've been using 2 GTX460s in SLI for years before upgrading because they became too slow. Now running 2x GTX660 in SLI and I am good for the next 4 years again ;-)

1 decade ago

SLI is much more hassle than it's worth, caused so many headaches with my old rig

1 decade ago

+1 go for a single strong gpu

1 decade ago

+1

Not worth it, get the next gen, your cards pretty good.

1 decade ago

Bump

1 decade ago

If prices have drop down i would go with a R9 290X, very similar performance to a 780/titan and cheaper (prices were inflated for freaking bitcoin/litecoin miners).

Depends on you needs too.

1 decade ago

Go for the GTX 780 if you can get it, but the upgrade from 760 to 770 wouldn't be worth it.

1 decade ago

Don't go SLI, it's not worth it pricewise , at any point not only with the 760 , dual graphics are for people with tons of money or with somewhat little experience of how things actually work.

If u really want the upgrade, sell the 760 and buy a 780,280x or 290, whatever floats your boat.

1 decade ago

if you already have a 760 then you dont need to do anything as that should be fine.

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

1 decade ago

Do you use a multi-monitor setup? Also what resolution do you use?

1 decade ago

Multi monitor really isn't an issue here to be honest.
I run 2 1080p monitors and my GPU is asleep if I'm not running games (downclocks itself to 135MHz and runs 0%-1% usage)
You're not gonna notice that speed difference when running a 3D game pulling all it can out of the full speed clocks.

Even with 4K monitors, I think a second monitor won't matter enough speed-wise to be considered in GPU choice nowadays.

This is also running a GTX760, non overclocked.
Plus, I haven't found games running into any FPS issues on max graphics. So to answer the OP: I don't think there is a need to upgrade if it's for gaming.
Upgrade when you notice games run badly at graphic settings or resolutions that you consider too low.

1 decade ago

I'd wait since NVidia already released their new GPU. The 770 uses the now quite old GK104 GPU. The 780 uses the newer GK110. Both are based on the Kepler GPU architecture. But their newest GPUs are now using the Maxwell architecture. For example, the very recently released 750 Ti uses the GM107 GPU. So I'd wait a bit for them to release higher-end Maxwell cards instead of buying a Kepler one. The new cards, once they're out, will probably be named 860, 870, 880, etc.

1 decade ago

They (maxwell) most likely have been delayed for several months (probably until early next year...) http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-maxwell-20nm-delay,26419.html

1 decade ago

Oh, that sucks. Well, then I guess the best thing to do is sell the 760 and get a 780.

Although that article states that the information about the delay is very shady and could even be an April Fools' joke. (Is it is, it's not very funny.)

1 decade ago

Go for a 780 if you can, idk what your standards are, but I'd be set for a long time with a card like that.

1 decade ago

As most of people agreed, SLI means more money for 2x cards, a better PSU and a more expensive motherboard, only to get unstable, less than 2x performance from your 2 cards.

Hence, a single GPU is a better idea, but if you want to buy an expensive VGA and you have a limited budget, you might want to wait for new DirectX 12 cards.

1 decade ago

All nvidia cards from the 400 series will support directx 12

1 decade ago

I know, but hardware manufacturers are more shrewd than that. They will never let your old DirectX 11 card run DX 12 games like a DX 12 VGA does, and always find something to force you to buy the new technology. That's why I personally prefer to wait.

1 decade ago

Since when is DirectX hardware determined? Isn't it just a driver/software upgrade?

1 decade ago

Very often, new D3D versions introduce new hardware capabilities. For example DX11 introduced tessellation. The hardware to do that didn't exist before.

But this isn't always the case. I don't know if DX12 will introduce new hardware features, but NVidia claims that the majority of whatever it introduces can be supported by current hardware.

1 decade ago

We'll see I guess, it woul suck for me if this makes my new 760 outdated.

1 decade ago

Yeah, i just got my 770 not long ago. Would be pissed if it made my beefy card obsolete

1 decade ago

Well, I just read on Techreport, look like they are adding new hardware features. D3D hardware feature levels 12_0 even popped up in Wikipedia.
So they're saying that their GPU can run DX12 API with hardware feature level 11-0 //Sry have to use - instead of underscore
(like they're saying now "1 - GPU supports DX 11.2 API, Hardware Feature Level 11-0.")

For those who don't know what feature levels do let me simply put it this way.
It allow you to run newer DX version on CPU with only old DX functions on GPU.
For ex, you have DX10 gpu. You can run DX11 games with hardware feature level 10_0 (= DX 10.0)
CPU run DX11 and GPU run DX10. At least some DirectX 11 function still work.

1 decade ago

Well shit... And I just bought my GTX 760 a month ago!

1 decade ago

DX12 will not be relevant for the next 2-3 years. Maybe 4 even.

1 decade ago

Obviously the 780 has better performance, even if it's not noticeable at this time :P I have a 770 and am set for a while now. I've never personally tried SLI, but from what I've read online, it's quite a hassle :/

1 decade ago

"Obviously the 780 has better performance" If your comparing it to 760 SLI then no It does not.

1 decade ago

I was comparing it to the 770, but now I realise he wasn't trying to compare the two of them. Whoops.

1 decade ago

Why do you want to replace the 760?

1 decade ago

Going to take a shot in the dark, so I may be wrong but...better performance.

1 decade ago

Thanks capt, thats still not the answer for my question.

What does he want to do with a 780 what the 760 can't?

1 decade ago

Run at a higher resolution?
Run at higher quality graphics?

Both of these at a good FPS count.

1 decade ago

Can't imagine a game to do this where you need a 780 instead of a 760.

1 decade ago

You can't imagine a game where a 780 performs better at higher resolutions with higher quality graphics?

Hmm...

1 decade ago

Well if you can call a game that has been released where there the difference justifies the price to do this, be my guest.

1 decade ago

That's up RustyBacon to decide, not me.

1 decade ago

Then why do you answer on my question to RustyBacon in the first place?

1 decade ago

Taking from the OP, we are assuming he wants better performance, whether that be at a higher resolution or detail of graphics. A lot of games won't run at a constant of 60 FPS at max settings.

1 decade ago

So far my 760 runs all my games on max. With the exception of ArmA3, that one drops to 40FPS sometimes on max settings.

So I still don't get why he would replace it, he can overclock it if he really want to but that wouldn't do much difference since it can run every game just fine.

1 decade ago

Firstly you are completely missing out on the point of resolution.
Secondly, there are more than just the games you have.
Thirdly, sure he could wait till the 800 series comes out (~end of this year), but if he didn't want to then he could buy a 780 now and buy a new one in 1 or 2 years time.

1 decade ago

1. Implying I said something about resolution or better didn't counted resolution with my statement.

2. Thanks capt, but that doesn't change anything.
  3. Implying to waste even more money. Good job.

4. I'm done talking to you, come back again when you're out of your beta testing.
1 decade ago

1. Resolution and FPS count in a game go completely hand in hand. If you turn either resolution up or detail up then you will get a drop in FPS. You only stated it with your resolution, and you are trying to compare that with an unknown resolution of the OP.

2. It changes everything, not even the GTX 780 can max out Crysis 3 at a fall rate of 60 FPS.

3. It's completely up to the OP, if he wants the best in graphics (which he is implying with the main post), or would like to wait ~7 months till he can get the new ones (when they finally release).

4. Haha haven't heard that one before, but why don't you come back when you actually research and know a bit more about computer parts and the related gaming data.

1 decade ago

Because you asked why, and it was obvious RustyBacon wanted a performance upgrade or else he wouldn't have made the thread.

If he thinks he's not getting the performance he wants from a 760 and wants an upgrade I'm not going to tell him otherwise.

1 decade ago

If you are only using graphic card for gaming, then I wouldn't change a thing. Just keep the money, save it up for later.
I doubt that there is game that you can't run with high settings.

1 decade ago

Exactly, I use a 760 and can run all my games on max (well its kinda overclocked so might that also could be a reason. But still its good enough for the coming years for gaming.

1 decade ago

This is stupid... If you got a gtx 760 you shouldn't be upgrading in at least 3-4 years. I got a 670 myself and it will work fine for that long, if not more.

My tip is to save that budget for later, incase you need to upgrade the computer completly or build a new one from scratch. Switch a gtx 760 for something a bit more powerfull and pay alot more is not wise.

1 decade ago

In reality, the 770's less than 25% more powerful than the 760, whereas 760 SLI would be anywhere from the same 25% to above 50%. I would strongly recommend not bothering to upgrade to a 770 in place of a second 760. However, if you want to avoid the hassle of SLI (which is actually not that big of a deal, as long as you don't expect to be playing every game at crazy framerates within a week of their launch, and you're fine with only using a single card for indies and older games), wait for Maxwell.

1 decade ago

I would not buy any GPU now, especially if I were you with a 760.
If AMD's Mantle works out GPU prices will drop, and hopefully Nvidia wakes up from their expensive cash-ins on their brands, and will start actually developing/manufacturing better, and more innovative hardware.

Also can't really see a reason why you would want to upgrade from 760. If you want to stream/record in HD you can still do that most recordings are capped at 30 FPS anyways, also you can move the heavy load from GPU to CPU, and upgrading your CPU could be a better idea, than buying new GPU.

So: Wait for AMD, hopefully they'll suceed with the mantle project, and it will give an another kick to GPU manufactoring.

1 decade ago

Fucking dogecoins will keep AMD GPU's expensive :(

1 decade ago

Fucking dogecoins will keep AMD GPU's expensive :(

1 decade ago

This. Waste of money imo

1 decade ago

Wait for Maxwell if you can, but it will only come out at the end of the year for desktops.

Always go for single GPU, SLI works better than Crossfire in my experience, but it is not supported for all games.
Although to be fair a single GTX 760 should run most games at ultra for 1080p, really depends on what games you play.

1 decade ago

I'd wait for DirextX 12. (and H.265 encoder if they have one)

1 decade ago

GTX 700 series supports DirectX 12. Don't see any reason to stop him in this statement.

1 decade ago

Here's a reason: It was barely announced, while we've already had the 700 lineup for a while now. It's extremely likely it will support Direct X, with missing features, fully supported by the Maxwell series instead, Nvidia's next lineup.

1 decade ago

Op, just keep your 760. No reason to upgrade to 780.

1 decade ago

Will you play on more than 1080p(16:9) or 1200p(16:10) resolution? if not, no reason to upgrade. I have a 7950 which is most similar to 760, with a 1920x1200 monitor and all games run on maximum or almost maximum. But if you plan to use multimonitors, 1440p, or performance work, then you may need to upgrade, but SLI eats a lot of electricity, and gives problems in some games(where only solution is disable SLI) or just gives 0 fps increase, so I would prefer a single GPU.

1 decade ago

Just wait for the 780, it's "next gen" sorta as far as PC gfx goes.

1 decade ago

Do you really need more power?

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by Funni.