I've played plenty of N64 games in the past and I really enjoyed them, but I've never actually owned the console. Is there any reason for me to buy one now or should I just go the emulator route?

6 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Yes

6 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

6 years ago

you will probably get bored quickly with those games, at least i did. xD
find an emulator and see if you are still interested in playing them, you can decide later and get a console.

6 years ago

Raspberry Pi 3 + RetroPie + Controller of your choice (Iยดve used DS4 and xbox360, both work out of the box)

6 years ago

N64 was a console I enjoyed a lot. I was a huge fan of having friends over and playing Golden Eye all night long lol. I'm someone who would much rather get the real thing than the emulator so I'd be buying a real one. If you do pick up a real one make sure you check everything especially the controllers. If the controllers had heavy use the stick on it probably is going to need to be replaced.

6 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

6 years ago

I can second Xenogears and FF Tactics, both amazing games. Was never a crash fan though. Star Ocean: The Second Story would be another must have RPG.

6 years ago

FF Tactics.

Damn, another I should have mentioned on the "remake" thread.

6 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

6 years ago

Thanks for the info. :)

I played the crap out of it on PS1 (probably more than any two other games combined). I don't know if I'd go through all the trouble to emulate it or buy a PSP to play it (so many other games to play), but it's something I'd like to see get a dedicated PC release. I'm really off-topic, now, though. :X

6 years ago

Grandia and Parasite Eve are also very good :)

6 years ago

Depends on what you want to do really. If its just for playing games, use the emulator. However, if you'd like to build some kind of retro arcade at home nothing beats the real deal. i am more about owning the consoles than the gaming itself.

6 years ago

It was very enjoyable at the time, but plenty of the great games probably wouldn't be that playable now. The only kind of ones I'd think would still be enjoyable is stuff like... Tetrisphere, Killer Instinct Gold, Zelda, Mario Party, Pokemon Stadium, and Super Smash Bros. Possible I'm forgetting some that may still be worth playing, but, other games like say Goldeneye, which was amazing at the time, would be horrible today.

6 years ago

Agreed. I got that new nes classic and used it for about 10 minutes.
The great memories of playing those games should stay in your memories.. because unfortunately all those games we used to love are actually shit in todays world.

6 years ago

Zelda OoT still rocks

6 years ago

I went back and played Mario Kart 64 a few years ago, it has aged very poorly. Battle mode is still fun, but the racing part has a mountain of issues that wouldn't be considered acceptable today.

Diddy Kong Racing on the other hand is just as fun now as it was back then. :)

6 years ago

You can buy n64 games on Wii and WiiU. Get one of those instead. N64 carts are expensive.

6 years ago*

+1

6 years ago

Unless you want to play games made by Rare, which counts for maybe half its library of good games.

6 years ago

Double Yes

6 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

6 years ago*

6 years ago

You can also mod them for HDMI output as well.

6 years ago

But that one isn't suitable for people with 3 arms.

6 years ago

I use both emulators (PC-based and Retropie, which is shit for N64-tier) and the original console. I loved the console, and can still pick up the older games and enjoy them. Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and OoT feel timeless to me, but I did grow up playing them. I don't like the emulators as much, even with a USB-to-N64 controller adapter.

The console itself sells relatively cheaply and you can very easily mod it to be region-free. The analog sticks on wonky control pads can also be replaced fairly easily. I'd recommend that but if you're just looking to replay things for memories, try running them on an emulator (or buy one of the USB-N64 pads) and see how much you like it.

6 years ago

Personally i dislike the N64, more could be done with either a SNES or GC (Nintendo Gamecube Game Boy Player) which are far more interesting consoles, with weird unecessary acessories.

6 years ago

have both - i'd recommend: For playing > Emulator and Controller.
For collecting aka sitting in a box or somewhere for display > ebay / craiglist of your country.

6 years ago

Could also softmod a WII and use an emulator or get a WII U and buy (there's like 20) what they have legally in the store.

6 years ago*

Playing them first on an emulator to see if he still enjoys them is a good idea. And the most popular N64 games are available in the eShop for the Wii U like you said.

6 years ago

I'm super unhelpful in this situation because the answer to 'Should I (blank) ?' for me is always 'Well, do you want to (blank)?' What is it you really want, and why do you want it?

If you do really want it, and got the funds, spend it on whatever your weird little heart wants. (To help answer this, remember you can't afford something if you can't buy it twice, ideally you should be identifying how much of your money is 'fun' money vs. living expenses and savings and base it off of that.)

Same with asking why you want it - a lot of others have covered this above, re: you gonna play those games? with friends? a lot? vs. displaying it, making a home arcade, interior design-type stuff

6 years ago

Thanks for the advice! I'm trying to build a bit of a "gaming room" and I'd probably end up getting games like Smash and Goldeneye because I still enjoy playing both (despite the latter aging poorly). How do games like Super Mario 64, Conker's Bad Fur Day, and Perfect Dark hold up? Those were the ones I was primarily interested in playing, and I've already played through OoT and MM so I'm not interested in buying the Zelda games.

6 years ago

Oh man! I don't know if you meant to reply to a different comment RE: games, because I don't know! I only started playing on the PS2 when I was eleven - earlier generations of games are something I have no knowledge of, save when they're ported to handhelds or steam.

If the gaming room is your goal, though, it sounds like buying an N64+controllers sounds like your jam.

6 years ago

The only reason to buy one is if you want to collect the cartridges and/or play on the real hardware. I've never used N64 emulators so I don't know if they are perfect or not at this point.

If you just want to play the games on a real console, you can buy an N64 and get an Everdrive-64 which is a flash cartridge that lets you copy every game ever made onto a single SD card and select them from a menu. So you can play all the games you remember and all the ones you never had a chance to play, plus hacks and homebrews.

Or if you don't care about playing on the actual console you can use an emulator and buy a bluetooth N64 controller or a USB N64 controller and play them on your PC with proper controls.

I personally don't feel like the N64 games have aged very well. Very primitive 3D graphics and a lot of games with awkward control schemes. But if you have nostalgia for them it'll probably still be fun to give them another try.

6 years ago

Yes, yes you should.

6 years ago

Nostalgia is a lie. Most of those games are complete damn garbage . It's just that you remember them fondly.

6 years ago

Mostly, but the principal advantage of the N is that their games can age pretty well.

6 years ago

And no, it's a bad idea.

Honestly? Get yourself an emulator and be happy, but i'm sure you'll play it only for a moment.

BUT, if you are collecting, then it's a very nice way to increase your 'Collector Culture'. WAT

6 years ago

for sure would be a good purchase for ya ,i have so many childhood memories from it
as fan fact,ill share one childhood memory :

I was playing N64 - 1080 Snowboarding game and bammm 6 Richter earthquake happened to my place (Greece)
hopefully my house didnt get destroyed but we closed the power for safety reasons ,damn that day progress in the game was gone : <

6 years ago*

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.