I was marketing my crates and I listed a key, didn't pay attention to what I was listing. 3 seconds later an email shows I sold a key.

T_T

Idiot.

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

oh no, you lost a couple of quarters.

1 decade ago

more like ~$2

1 decade ago

Thats a couple of quarters.

1 decade ago

couple = 2.
2 quarters = $0.50
$0.50 =/= $2

1 decade ago

Wow, who actually uses couple as (2) for counting money or things?
I got a couple of quarters =/= 0.50$
Pretty sure you only use couple = 2 on living things or there's a count modifier before it

E.G(Living thing examples): I know a COUPLE who model, I guessed your favorite COUPLE
E.G(Modifier examples): I see TWO COUPLES, I didn't see ANY COUPLES in church today

else, its treated as "several"
Hey I got a COUPLE of tickets here =/= TWO tickets
A COUPLE years ago =/= TWO years
I have a COUPLE of questions. =/= TWO questions

1 decade ago

hmm
It does say under idioms that it can refer to more than two, but who uses idioms anyway

Also for every one of your examples at the end, if someone said any of those to me, I'd assume they meant two. Because if they meant more than two, they'd have said several. Which is why we have both words: couple and several (also, few). -_-

1 decade ago

I feel genuinely sad. You actually quoted a dictionary for this? I'm not blaming your education system, this should be pretty much self-taught knowledge upon conversing with others (RL or not)

inb4 muuuriicaaa memes below

1 decade ago

you hatin on aMURICA? but yes id agree couple =/= 2 almost ever, it usually means more than 2

1 decade ago

not rly, I just read a lot of nokor threads in reddit so I've seen a lot of mmuurrica memes there.

1 decade ago

For 'Murika

1 decade ago

Idioms aren't even a real thing
^OK, I was going to leave it at that and just end on a troll note, but my inner grammar nazi got the better of me. A couple certainly can mean >2. I don't think it should, but that's the way it's used in common conversation. However, I've never heard "a couple" refer to "eight". It usually means 2-4, maybe 5. It's just not proper usage. Although I'm still not sure why suddenly everyone is so interested in the proper usage of the word 'couple'. I made a 3 sentence reply and suddenly I get a paragraph in response, to something that I was half-jokingly arguing. Well whatever floats your boat, buddy.

1 decade ago

I'm just trying to prove all my points logically that your logic is flawed properly, that's why you get a full paragraph for it.
If you still want to connect english to math, then:
"COUPLE" = "SEVERAL"
"SEVERAL" = > 2
Quarters*n > 2 = > 0.50$.

By these logic, your post of:
couple = 2.
2 quarters = $0.50
$0.50 =/= $2
Is wrong.

I guess you use formal language everytime, everyday, everyhour, everyminute, and everysecond you converse.

1 decade ago

again, I didn't realize I was being graded. I formally change the first line of my reply to:
couple = 2-5
The conclusion still follows. Didn't see the point in over-specifying since I didn't really intend this to be a heated debate. But I guess that'll teach me. Also Several =>2 is false. 10,000 is not several, it is many, so your argument is false.

No, I don't use formal language all the time. And since we're on the subject of bad logic, nice strawman argument. I hope you don't still feel genuinely sad.

1 decade ago

While "a couple" might be understood to not be precisely two, it is by no means equivalent to "several". I am quite confident that most people when asked would order these imprecise phrases thusly:

Several > a Few > a Couple

I also agree with lncog that regardless of whether "a couple" is stretched to mean more than two or not, it would never be understood to refer to eight.

1 decade ago

that's why "several, few, couple" are discouraged in formal writng. They are inexact. The point is, these kind of descriptors (or w/e they are called) are used for describing things that the exact magnitude is unimportant.

1 decade ago

isnt several 7/8? and few 3-8?

1 decade ago

1 decade ago

"but who uses idioms anyway"

Yeah, who does that anyway, right? riiiiight?

1 decade ago

lol.

on topic of a couple, it just means at least two when talking about objects. I think of a handful as the upper limit which is more than ten in quarters.

1 decade ago

While you're crying, someone else is laughing. You see how it balances out?

1 decade ago

bragging about it does not make you look smarter

1 decade ago

When you sell your house by mistake for 0.07$, then you can come on the forums to complain about it and how life sucks.

1 decade ago

Haha, it would really sucks, indeed... XD

1 decade ago

I have this cardboardbox for sale..

1 decade ago

shame on u

1 decade ago

you know, i just remembered a video about star where he said that he found a key being sold by 0.07$ at the mann co store, but that was like months ago

1 decade ago

You need a manly shoulder?

1 decade ago

Thanks for Skyrim!

1 decade ago

Well, I lost half a bitcoin because one of the mining pool's founder took the bitcoins and ran. You know how much that's worth today? (It's the only BTC I had, by the way. If only I'd known the monster they'd turn into.)

1 decade ago

Oh my i have nearly 0.00067 bitcoins

1 decade ago

i lost 4000 bitcoins because the pool owner cut and ran, but this was years ago, when BTC was unknown and worthless.

1 decade ago

Did you continue to mine? Are you now a millionaire?

1 decade ago

well, buyer is lucky one

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by BitBirdGG.