Enhanced SteamGifts & SteamTrades (ESGST)

An extension / userscript that adds some cool features to SteamGifts and SteamTrades.

If you find any bugs or have any feature requests, please file an issue here.

Compatibility

Tested and confirmed as working:

• Chrome (since v55)
  • Firefox (since v52)
  • Pale Moon

Not tested but should be working:

• Any Chromium-based browser (such as Opera, Vivaldi, etc...)

Not supported:

• Edge
  • Safari

Installation

There are two different ways to use ESGST: extension or userscript. You can choose which one you want to use, but the extension is a lot faster and has a better peformance than the userscript, so I recommend it, although there is no major difference between them, except for a few options that are only available in the extension because of limitations in the userscript.

Option 1 - Extension

It should be possible to install the extension in any Chromium-based browser from the Chrome store (such as Opera, Vivaldi, etc...), any Firefox-based browser from the Firefox store (such as Waterfox, etc...), and any browser that uses the Phoebus system from the Pale Moon store (such as Basilik, etc...).

You can also use the extension on Android through Firefox for Android, but some features might not work or not be optimized enough for mobile.

Option 2 - Userscript

To install the userscript, you must install Violentmonkey, Tampermonkey, Greasemonkey or some other userscript manager first. Then click here and you should be prompted to install it. I recommend Violentmonkey or Tampermonkey, because the userscript uses the GM_addValueChangeListener API to communicate changes in the storage between tabs, and that API is not available on Greasemonkey, so a polyfill is used for Greasemonkey, which is not very effective and can affect the performance.

You can also use the userscript on Android through Firefox with Violentmonkey or USI, but some features might not work or not be optimized enough for mobile.

Beta Versions

The latest beta version for both the extension and the userscript is always available in the latest pre-release in the releases page.

7 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Oh, interesting change with this brief description ;)
How about - no icon if there is no description ? It would indicate that there is nothing there to read ;)

6 years ago

That would require the script to request all giveaways in a page to see if they have a description, which would lead to a huge and unnecessary server load, it's better to only load it when you click it.

6 years ago

The script doesn't know if there is a description or not until the GA page is downloaded.

6 years ago*

Just had this give away https://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/XzY0g/time-mysteries-inheritance-remastered

pop up a empty description box on v6.Beta.37.3 (September 30, 2017)

6 years ago

Yeah, the giveaway creator somehow decided to add an invisible character in the description, I'll remove it later.

6 years ago

It's supposed to show, giveaway descriptions are now mandatory, but I guess I can add "HB link" to the list of filtered descriptions, since it's quite useless.

6 years ago

Copy/Paste from the changelog:

v6.Beta.38.0 (October 2, 2017)

• [...]
  • [...]
  • Opening the giveaway description is now mandatory in Enter/Leave Giveaway Button.
6 years ago

• Enter/Leave Giveaway Button now recognizes identical descriptions from the same creator and shows the description only once so you don't have to keep reading the same description over and over again (the cache is stored for 1 hour).

Can this be optional? I don't like forced description filters on giveaways...

6 years ago

Could you add the 'hide individual giveaways' feature to group pages?

Also, I think that given the now mandatory description popup, there should be a way for the user to add any particular description they find worth filtering out (such as the various variations of "HB giftlink" or "no need to thank") to their own local description filter. Maybe even have the script report back those local filters to you and add the most common ones to the default filter.

6 years ago

Well, you have no power over it, but you know what it does. I don't think having more options is always a good thing, it adds too much clutter to the script, I think having necessary options is a good thing, and I don't see how this would be necessary at all, as it makes no sense for me to keep seeing the same description over and over again when entering giveaways from the same user in the short period of 1 hour, but ok, I'll make it an option.

6 years ago

What does default filter for useless description mean beside matching a single character?

6 years ago*

Not possible. You're probably not seeing the description after disabling it because of the option to not show repeated descriptions in 1 hour.

6 years ago

That option is also disabled, and I just entered a new giveaway with unique description that I never entered before, without seeing popup

6 years ago

Can confirm that the popups are not working at all now after the update, even with "Cache repeated descriptions..." and "Filter out useless descriptions" both disabled.

6 years ago

Great! Thank you!

Though, I imagined the custom filter feature would be a button in the description popup that lets you 1-click-add that description to the filter list. I think that'd be very convenient because many descriptions feature some emoticon or special character or phrase that can't really be handled with regular expressions and has to be added manually to the filter.

If there's already such a button, then never mind. I wasn't able to check if there is one before posting this because I haven't been able to get any description popup to pop since updating.

6 years ago

I'm getting this error:

ReferenceError: elgb_c is not defined  ESGST.user.js:10897:1

the fix would be that this:

if (description && !mainCallback) {
                if (elgb_c) {
                    if (Date.now() - esgst.elgbCache.timestamp > 3600000) {

should be:

if (description && !mainCallback) {
                if (esgst.elgb_c) {
                    if (Date.now() - esgst.elgbCache.timestamp > 3600000) {

(missing the "esgst.") unless i'm very mistaken :P

6 years ago

Well, I never got the popup to pop even once since my last comment, until ESGST updated itself to 38.6 a few minutes ago, after which the description popups started popping normally again. Saw the 'add to filter' button too. So whatever you did, you fixed it, thanks!

6 years ago

Wouldn't that mean that you can enter all the giveaways you want without reading the descriptions and then close the tab when you are done?

6 years ago

Well I guess you could do that. I actually read the descriptions afterwards (Using my method, there's a bunch of popups to read and dismiss in the order you've entered the GAs in)

6 years ago

Hi, rafaelgs18
Could you explain why forcing to read description has been implemented and as an option?

6 years ago

What? Since when not reading it is a sign of disrespect? No offence but that's ridiculous reason.

You do realise that now you will keep on getting requests to remove that or give option to turn off that? You yourself wrote that this was already in script and people were complaining about it. It won't change anything if popup will show before or after entering ga it's still annoying. Wasn't the whole point in enter button on non ga page to speed up entering them? Showing description conflicts with this.

How about that. Instead of forcing this on people make an option to turn that off but showing description will turned on by default if enter button will be turned on. If someone thinks that not reading description is disrespecting ga creator than he can have that turned on but don't force everyone to do that.

6 years ago

You're entering a giveaway from someone who is offering a game to the community for free. The least you can do is read what they have to say.

I don't care, people can complain as much as they want, this is how it's staying. I could see the previous method being annoying, because you had to read first and enter later, but with the current method there's no excuse, you can just close the popup easily after entering. If you think showing the description conflicts with the entering speed you're welcome to disable the feature and let me know that it takes the same time to enter a list of giveaways manually. I sincerely doubt that.

If people don't like it they can go find another script that doesn't force the description. cg even said that what my script does was nice, so I'd like to keep it that way.

6 years ago

Of course it changes.

Previous method:

1. Click the "Enter" button.
  2. If the giveaway has a description, popup appears with the description.
  3. Have to click a second "Enter" button to actually enter the giveaway.

Current method:

1. Click the "Enter" button and immediately enter the giveaway.
  2. If the giveaway has a description, popup appears with the description.
  3. Can easily click anywhere in the screen or hit the Esc key to close the popup.
6 years ago

It helps with ensuring people read giveaway descriptions.

6 years ago

Not reading description is not a sign of disrespect.

6 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.