Because I really want to play Dark Souls, Batmans Arkhams, SMB and let my son play Toki Tori 2+.

Or do I buy a $10-ish dollar controller?

Thanks in advance.

Edit1: Thanks a lot for all of the comments. I bought a wired X360 controller. The experience playin' Dark Souls and Batman Arkham City was awesome! Which games would you recommend to acquire having this awesome controller including DS and Batman?

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

How much is the Xbox 360 controller? Wired and wireless are different prices, could be on sale, etc etc.

Xbone controllers will eventually work on PC so the Xbox360 will most likely drop then.

1 decade ago

So far as I know they are like fifty bucks.

you can get a decent third party PC controller for about 20 bucks depending on brand and where you look.

1 decade ago

I wouldn't recommend a 3rd party as the ones I've tried are a lot worse than the original whether it be build quality or dead zones on the joystick.

I was basically going to tell the OP to wait if they were full price. They're $59.99 here, but the wired are currently on for $29.99 at Futureshop.

1 decade ago

$25 on a good sale. $35 on a decent sale. Very much worth it for any PC gamer, the built in support most games have is priceless. Don't get a cheap generic controller, you will regret it. They are terrible, I have several filling space in my drawer doing nothing.

Later this year when next gen controllers have PC drivers, they'll be the better choice, but you won't find those for the price you can get a 360 controller.

1 decade ago

That's basically what I was going to sale, wait for a sale or new drivers cause $50+ for the controller is crazy!

I personally use a PS3 controller because I prefer their design over the X360. I have to use unofficial drivers though, do you know PS4 is supposed to get official ones too?

1 decade ago

I'd say it's worth it. Better if you can wait and get it on sale though.

I'd personally recommend the wired one (have one myself) and it's really great - no need to worry about batts - save some hard earned money.

Btw iirc, there should be no difference between the controller for the console and the one for the PC (they're marketed differently), but there is a price difference. So bear that in mind when you make your purchase.

Good luck!

1 decade ago

The wireless controller for PC comes with the required receiver while the Xbox 360 version does not.

1 decade ago

As a person who hates playing on consoles for many reasons (including the controller), i must admit that its worth getting one, even if you never use it for FPSs

1 decade ago

It's worth it. Buy it.

1 decade ago

If you want to play Dark Souls then you need a controller. The 360 controller surprised me - it's my favorite I've ever used, topping the PS2 and Madcats Gamecube controllers. You might as well buy something official that will last.

1 decade ago

Dark souls is painful without a controller lol

1 decade ago

Seriously best buy ever, I would never play a PC game without it. A lot of games I've seen are specifically xbox controller supported as well so instead of getting something like press button 1 it will say press X or Press A and even the colour of the button with a 360 controller. But if you don't intend to use controllers often I'm not sure if its worth it for you? I know you can get a cheap white second hand wired 360 controller for like 10 bucks which probably would be worth it or even like a cheap eBay wireless dongle so you can use your current xbox controller for a while.

1 decade ago

You don't NEED it, but in games like Super Meat Boy, GTA 4, Shank 2. The controller becomes SUPER useful, i've already tried COD with a controller and it almost impossible to play. With the right games, it's worth it.

1 decade ago

Almost every game other than FPS works great with controllers, provided it is supported. FPS requires some practice to aim...assuming you are not playing against other people who are using K+M.

1 decade ago

I am using the ones I have for my dusty 360 and they are great! If only I could find the official battery pack in a good price. They cost 20 $ each. :/

1 decade ago

Yes, they are worth it. Don`t bother with the alternatives.

1 decade ago

Why? Some cheaper alternatives are better.

1 decade ago

Why? Some cheaper alternatives are better.

1 decade ago

seriously doubt it.

1 decade ago

seriously doubt it.

1 decade ago

echoooo

1 decade ago

echoooo

1 decade ago

helloo

1 decade ago

helloo

1 decade ago

Get it and be done with it. Just remember you need a wireless receiver for the wireless 360 controllers on PC, plugging a usb cable into it won't work. The wired controllers work fine with no extra hardware.

The reason to get a 360 controller is because most modern PC games are made for it in mind when it has controller options and some will only work with it reliably without having to mess with a controller configurator.

It's the least hassle and it's not a terrible controller in its own right.

Otherwise, if you insist on getting a "cheaper" controller, it MUST be Xinput compatible if you want the least amount of grief. 3rd party Xinput compatible controllers off the top of my head are the Logitech F310 and F710, the PS3 dualshock 3 is also compatible but requires more fuss in configuration.

Basically, just get the 360 controller. Perfect timing, really, since they're on sale more often now that they're old news to the One.

1 decade ago

If you buy the Xbox 360 Controller For Windows it comes with a receiver.

1 decade ago

Buy a wired one, It's gonna be pain in the ass to buy batteries if you buy wireless controller. And yes It's definitely worth buying, all new games support it.

1 decade ago

AA rechargeables work just fine in them and can outlast a PS3 controller if you buy good ones.

1 decade ago

Still you can't play for unlimited amount of time without unplugging it.

1 decade ago

You could use a play and charge cable.

1 decade ago

If you play long enough to kill off the charge in one session, you have bigger things to worry about than your controller dying. Otherwise, get the play and charge cable.

1 decade ago

I didn't said that to kill off the charge in one session, sometimes you have no times to charge it and you forget that the battery is almost out.

1 decade ago

really my ps3 controller outlasts my brothers xbox controller and i dont need to recharge batteries just plug it in and play with it

1 decade ago

Buy xbox controller. Controller support in pc games are made for those. Other controllers will not be supported by most games and emulators are not options since they don't support all gamepads either. I have a 25$ gamepad. Sadly i cannot play pc games because no game recognizes it.

1 decade ago

If you don't need wireless or vibration, get the Logitech F310. Same button layout/colors and has a switch on the back to emulate older controllers for older games. Just DON'T WRAP THE CORD AROUND IT for storage. It will short out at the casing.

1 decade ago

I've been thinking the same recently, as sadly lots of games have poor control adaptation (sometimes as simple as not being able to remap the key, plus other games just benefiting from having an analog controller).
Considering how the price went down (after the Xbox One came out), I'd say invest the extra money and pick the 360's pad.
I think it's worth the little extra for the extra durability, compatibility and ease of reselling (should you need to).

A side note: for the Arkham games I don't think the pad is really required as the mouse:camera movement is 1:1. Both Asylum and City played great for me. Opposed to games like Dark Souls (prior to the mousefix) and unsuspectable games like La-Mulana, that just won't let you use the keys you want. :)

1 decade ago

Yes it's worth. Don't buy any other gamepad for now. I'd look for a Steam Controller or even the Xbone in the future.

1 decade ago

Yeah it's worth it, probably Steam Controller will be better but we cannot know when it will be available. Just buy a wired one and you'll be fine

1 decade ago

Steam controller already fails at some games lets hope that those problems will be fixed.

1 decade ago

Well it's just a prototype for now, but I have faith

1 decade ago

its worth it for sure. i get mine from newegg as they have them on sale for 25-30 a lot.

1 decade ago

The quality and feeling diference between a cheap controller and an xbox controller is really big, the cheap ones have really bad thumbstick accuracy, no analog triggers and crappier d-pad... so yeah, if you're going to use it alot, it's worth it.

Alternatively there's the xeox ones which are the next best thing, rubberized body, selective emulation between microsoft's xinput and the older directinput, cheaper...

Also, the xbox wired one has like 2.7m cable length, xeox one not sure, I think 1.5m or so.

1 decade ago

+1

1 decade ago

Buy it. I had the same question, but now I don't regret one bit the money I spent on the controller.

1 decade ago

If you know a person who works in Microsoft, a XBox controller will be only like 10/15 bucks. I have a friend like that, I always ask him to get me any Microsoft products. I get my windows and office products (pretty much all software) for like 10% of the market price and any hardware like wireless keyboard, mouse, game pads etc for about 30-40% of the market price.

By the way, I like XBox controllers better than any other ones. So my recommendation will be an XBox controller for windows.

1 decade ago

If you want to downgrade to using a controller, buy a console.

On the PC, you use the mouse and the keyboard.

The end.

1 decade ago

Don't listen to this guy. I've been a PC kb/m guy my entire life but some games literally need a controller. Like Dark Souls is a lazy port that is unbearable to play on the PC without one.

1 decade ago

+1

1 decade ago

If you don't want to play lazy ports, buy a console.

\#gloriouspcmasterrace

1 decade ago

Why recommend to pay for a console when simply buying a controller gives you the same on your already owned PC.

Some games are just made to be played with a controller.

1 decade ago

bullshit. Some games work better with a controller. 8-directional digital movement hinders you. Dark Souls, Bastion, Assassins Creed, DMC, and pretty much every platformer work better with a controller, among many other titles.

Back in the day you needed a joystick. Some games, like X-Wing Alliance wouldn't even run without one. Today, Xbox360 controller is a "really should have" item.

1 decade ago

Certain games give a diferent experience with a controller, I personally used it for racing games so far (I didn't want a wheel since it requires alot more space, money and it's exclusive to racing).

I also can't aim at all with a controller, I really don't know how people on consoles play 3D shooters =) ... except Beat Hazard, for some reason I can aim in that one, prolly because it's 2D.

1 decade ago

Aim assist helps + lots of practice ;)

1 decade ago

Not this shit again.

1 decade ago

Not for all games, Prince of Persia series, Dark Souls, old Tomb Raiders are better play on controller than keybord. And all racing games are play better on controller (with analog), than keyboard.

1 decade ago

Wheels are for racing games. If you want to use a controller to play racing games, buy a console.

\#gloriouspcmasterrace

1 decade ago

You're quite annoying

.#pleasestfuannoyingman

1 decade ago

Not all of us are stupid enough to buy a console just to play a few games.

1 decade ago

Don't listen to close-minded (or poor attempt to troll) people like mkrnic. Some games are way better with controller while other with kb/m.

1 decade ago

I've had a $10 one and now use a 360 controller, it's so much better. I use a wireless one with the USB dongle and I've never had a single issue with connection dropout or anything like that and it works from quite far away. It doesn't feel as flimsy as the cheap one I had either. My partner has the wired version which he prefers as it's lighter since it doesn't need batteries and he loves it. I have gotten so much use out of mine, I don't think it's a purchase you'd regret.

1 decade ago

I've had a $10 one and now use a 360 controller, it's so much better. I use a wireless one with the USB dongle and I've never had a single issue with connection dropout or anything like that and it works from quite far away. It doesn't feel as flimsy as the cheap one I had either. My partner has the wired version which he prefers as it's lighter since it doesn't need batteries and he loves it. I have gotten so much use out of mine, I don't think it's a purchase you'd regret.

1 decade ago

It would normally depend on what games you had that you wanted to play with a controller. But I see that you listed Dark Souls, in which case: ABSOLUTELY YES YOU NEED ONE.

Get a real one too, the wired 360 controller I got was literally plug and play (plus the cord is really long, unless you're playing far away from a tv in big picture you don't really need a wireless one, which removes the need for a dongle). Its not worth the headache to get a shitty controller and/or mess around with 3rd party input programs. Also you can ignore any "controller for Windows" descriptor, they are just slightly more expensive for some reason and any new regular 360 controller should work perfectly already. The only problem a lot of people have with the controller is the d-pad isn't super accurate, but unless you crave absolute precision it really isnt that bad.

Games that I've found work great with it: Dark Souls (necessary), Brothers (also necessary), Mark of the Ninja (recommend using controller), Sleeping Dogs (also recommended), Spelunky, Rogue Legacy, Fez, Trine 2, Teleglitch, Sonic Generations, Unepic.

1 decade ago

No it's not just get a Logitech controller and use an Xbox emulator.

1 decade ago

Again, Logitech F310. No emulator needed. Native support.

1 decade ago

Yup, get Logitech F*10 (F310 is basic, F510 has vibration, F710 has vibration and is wireless) - they work in 2 modes - xbox and the normal (xinput & directinput), so they support any game that can use a controller. In directinput mode they are also fully mappable to the keyboard for those games that don't have native controller support.

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by Falakienos.