So, what is it like to play games, watch videos, surf the web and use spreadsheet on a monster monitor?

Share your experience.

In case you don't know what I'm talking about: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/predator-model/UM.CX0EE.P01

4 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

3440×1440? What is that, baby's first wide monitor?
Now, this… this is a wide monitor: https://www.samsung.com/ca/monitors/c49rg9/
=D

4 years ago

Holy... 32:9!? It's literally 2 monitors in one XD
If I had the money I'd probably replace my 16:9 pair for one of those tho.

4 years ago

It's basically two 27inch monitors side by side without the ugly bezel in the middle.

Some mad lads already did this 😆

4 years ago

Using a monitor like that is cheating cause you have 360 FOV :P

4 years ago

Seen that already ... too much money!
Also, you complain about 21:9 support ... let's see this then!

I also have a 21:9 but not 4k :P.

I have a 1440p 32'' 16:9 main one and a 21:9 2560x1080 secondary one +
4k TV for 4k!

4 years ago*

Also, that is old gen :
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13758/samsung-announces-crg9

The new Samsung CRG9 ultra-wide display is based on the company’s new curved VA panel featuring a so-called 'dual QHD' resolution (5120×1440), a 1000 nits peak brightness, 178º/178º vertical/horizontal viewing angles, a 4 ms response time, and a 120 Hz refresh rate.

4 years ago

I dunno, I'm using two (saving up for a third) monitors instead. If the monitor's too wide, you'd have to sit back further to see the edges, 34" 's not that monster though.

4 years ago

Yes, I use one at home and at work. I can honestly say, I never want to go back to 16:9.

• At work:

I switched out my 3 16:9 1080p monitors for a 1440p 21:9 one. I kept one of the old monitors on the desk, but I haven't even used it since then. The 21:9 monitor is enough to comfortably use Visual Studio and something on the side (editor, browser, Outlook...). I don't think I need more space than that.

• At home:

At home I have one with GSync. And it's great for gaming. The extended FOV is awesome in games and often gives you kind of a cinematic feel. It's not even about seeing more of the game. It's really more about how it feels for me. Admitted, it doesn't work with all games. Western AAA games work fine. Almost all of them support UW out of the box. But you will have to resort to user fixes for many eastern games like Dark Souls, and also for some indie games. Those fixes are usually available really quickly. And in many cases you can even do it yourself with a simple hex edit. It's also important to note that it't not the end of the world if a game does not support UW. You don't really lose anything then. It's just that you don't gain anything compared to a 16:9 monitor. It's not a big deal, but it should be mentioned.
For audio and video editing it's just great. The extra real estate helps a lot. Basically anything with a timeline will automatically benefit from a wider monitor.

So yeah, I highly recommend it. The obvious downside is that UW monitors are quite expensive. But in my opinion it's absolutely worth it.

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

4 years ago

I bought an LG 34UM69G, it has smaller resolution, but its still a nice monitor.

4 years ago

I have the same one. =)

4 years ago

I do a lot of 3d and video editing work, so I prefer two 2K monitors, instead of one big one, I think two monitors work a lot better when it comes to screen real estate management.

4 years ago

It's great for productivity and for immersion in games/movies. Use this site to check which games runs fine in 21:9 or 32:9.

I couldn't find one that checked all my boxes so i gave up on it for now. Going the OLED or QLED route (wall mounted) + 240hz monitor (hopefully those IPS release soon) combo instead.

4 years ago*

I think I prefer 144hz 1080p gaming for now.

4 years ago

I don't personally own one, but my flatmate has a https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/gaming/49--chg90-qled-gaming-monitor-lc49hg90dmnxza/ or a variant of sorts. It's a bit wider than a 34", but hey.
He switched from 2x27" monitors and is really happy about it. He got used to it really fast and plans on never going back. It's useful for coding, since he can open multiple windows side-by-side and not have to deal with bezels.
Watching videos is fine, but even with 21:9 content, the video will play in the centre of the screen, with black bars on the side. So it's probably better to run it windowed on half of the screen and do something else on the other half.
Gaming is also great, for the games that support super ultra-wide. He plays Rust a lot, and is really pleased with how much more stuff he can see at once compared to a regular 27" 16:9. It's also pretty cool in racing sims. As mentioned above, you might wanna check if the games you plan on playing have widescreen support, or you might be disappointed.
I have antimetropia (different prescription for each eye), with my right eye being close to normal. I can't just glance at something in the top left corner of the screen, I have to slightly turn my head until I can clearly read it with my right eye. So if it's a game in which you have to keep track of things on opposite corners of the screen, constantly turning my head left and right gets uncomfortable pretty fast, unless I sit quite far from the monitor. In general, I find it a bit too wide for normal use, but that's most likely a personal problem.
Also, that particular monitor has a super deep stand. The tips of the stand are about 40cm away from the wall, so you need a decently sized desk for it, or you might have limited space for M/KB.

4 years ago*

I've recently changed from a 20" display to 27". I'm having a hard time with it personally. I have short-sighted and such so after awhile my eyes either gets tired or I get a headache out of it. Its a personal condition related to sinus effect. Having a large screen space can be good. A neighbour gave my family a 40" Smart TV when they move out so I have the TV currently if I need a larger display when playing a more relaxing game like My time at Portia, Team Fight Tactics then certainly a bigger display helps.

I do have issue locating my cursor with the 27" XD Anyone have any idea how to replace the pulsing cursor from White to other color when they are over Text? I cant find the cursor when its blinking. most of the time.

4 years ago

tried a BIGGER cursor instead?

4 years ago

Its actually something like in the image below. I cant screen shot with the cursor appearing. When the cursor is over a text in a paragraph/phrase I want to highlight for Copy. I usually cant find my cursor. I drew a line over the B to simulate it. I look into Cursor in my settings briefly but I do not know which setting is affecting it.

View attached image.
4 years ago

It is awesome. Never going back.

4 years ago

Yes, and all I can say is: Once you go ultrawide, you never go back (especially at 100hz).

4 years ago

i would prefer one 16:9 at 144Hz with a random second monitor.

4 years ago

I don't use one, but I don't see the reason to up the resolution randomly. I went from 720p to 1080p like 6 months ago and I can't really tell the difference. The screen's a bit bigger, but that's it. That bigger screen reduces my gaming performance by 20-30% for basically nothing. Plus, paying extra for higher frequencies sounds way more logical. Good feedback or more of a need to move your eyeballs. Ain't a tough decision for me.

4 years ago

And the need for glasses after awhile.

4 years ago

I use a 32 inch 1440p with a 27 inch 1080p on either side of it (and an extra 24 inch for my home server). I'm considering an ultra-wide to replace the 32 inch and one of the 27 inch monitors, but with my eye disease, I'm hesitant because it's easier to read at 1080p (and even then I tend to magnify most websites).

More screen real estate is always good, though, especially if you're constantly multi-tasking. Downside: As others have said, once you get a bigger, wider, better monitor, you'll never be able to go back to anything else.

4 years ago

Proud owner of a 15\18 1080P (but is 1900x1200 btw LOL) Monitor , and i doubt there will be an Human in our planet that is able to count how much time i repair it LOL , i think my monitor still have more repair than ww2 vehicles LOL.
And the funny thing is a company offer me to have a 4k monitor for free for advertising it on my channel as a sponsor,but i reject the offer because of many personal hating 4k biasemedia corruption lies and false articles .

4 years ago

I think I prefer more taller than wider, to be honest, I have a 4:3 (1600x1200) and 19:10 (1920x1200) both of which can rotate to vertical screen orientation, which is great for old arcade games (MAME) or shoot 'em ups which are designed for a vertical screen orientation, or for things like writing or software development where rows are more valuable to me than columns.

I also have a fake HDMI dongle which simulates a monitor at any resolutions up to 4K, so for things like Steam Link streaming to my TV I can set the fake monitor as my primary and then force it to a standard 16:9 resolution which helps some games which are poorly made, without screwing with my desktop resolution. (But Steam Link is such a pain the ass I really never use it anyway regardless of that)

That being said I'd love to try DARIUSBURST on an ultrawide someday :D

4 years ago

That being said I'd love to try DARIUSBURST on an ultrawide someday :D

It's glorious. :)

But you're right. As much as I love my UW monitor - most bullet hell games look kind of ridiculous on it. xD

4 years ago

Would using a large monitor like that hurt your eyes in some way compared to a smaller one?

4 years ago

Maybe if your jealous friends punch you. I wish I had ultrawide but will have to settle for 32" 16:9 4k.

4 years ago

I tried an ultrawide for awhile, but it's terrible for competitive gaming. If you're only playing single player games go for it I guess, but even then most games have bugs with ultrawide.

4 years ago

Yeah I was thinking it might not work well with CSGO.

4 years ago

what graphiccards do you use? 3440x1440 is about 2.4x my pixels (fullHd). I´m sure my graphiccard couldn handle this proper.

4 years ago

I'm not. But I'm considering to get one somewhere in the future.
Must be awesome for Immersion in specific games 🙂

Also I love this beautiful Beast built by Acer:

View attached image.
4 years ago

That big you might as well go 4k? They are getting pretty cheap

4 years ago

Expensive stuff! I'm very happy with my 5K screen (both at home and at work), most of the time having two windows side-by-side on it -- great for multitasking. E.g. https://iiyama.com/gl_en/products/prolite-xb2779qqs-s1/ (~ $700)

I'm sometimes dreaming of owning this monster below, it just came out this year but is a whopping $1400 (and that is if it's in stock, seems sold out all the time here)
https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/gaming/49-crg9-dual-qhd-curved-qled-gaming-monitor-lc49rg90ssnxza/

4 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.