http://uk.gamespot.com/news/ea-sought-to-buy-valve-for-1-billion-report-6394880
http://steamunpowered.eu/ea-wants-to-buy-valve-for-1-000-000-000
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/177395/Newell_Id_rather_see_Valve_disintegrate_than_sell_out.php
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVMib1T4T4

So apparently EA tried to buy a company which is worth 3 billions for 1 billions. A company that has had a grown of 200% year after year since it's creation. A company that it's worth more that his, which has had millionaire losses the last years.

I think it would be more realistic that Valve was trying to buy EA before they kill themselves. What do you think?

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

I think fuckEA.

1 decade ago

I'm not paying.

1 decade ago

Yeah, fucking EA should give you change back.

1 decade ago

Despite the billion dollar offer, Newell said Valve would prefer to "disintegrate" than ever sell out.

, yay gabe.

EA Total equity US$2.458 billion (2012)

VALVE Total equity over US$3.000 billion (2012)

suck it EA.

1 decade ago

stEAm :)

1 decade ago

I smell a conspiracy here.

1 decade ago

I never asked for this.

1 decade ago

Only because of certain exclusives is because they are worth so much.. They'd probably be less then 2mil if it weren't for Battlefield 3

1 decade ago

I hate how EA totally milked the BF3 franchise. BF3 Premium is like making customers pay for content they deserve for free. I'm so glad I sold my Xbox 360 before I spend any more money on it. Screw EA.

1 decade ago

VALVE FTW!!!!!

1 decade ago

Ha Ha

1 decade ago

totally

1 decade ago

I am sometimes curious
What the hell are they really thinking about?!!! Are they high or something?!

1 decade ago

Tbh, EA should get thier stick out thier ass and become partners with steam and start releasing thier titles on steam, would make them bigger aswell a LOT bigger, i know a lot of people who as myself havnt bought quite a few good EA titles coz well it isnt on steam so fuck it.

1 decade ago

+1 to that!

1 decade ago

I'd kill myself if that happens.

1 decade ago

"Despite the billion dollar offer, Newell said Valve would prefer to "disintegrate" than ever sell out."
Seems like Gabe would do the same. I guess it's what scientists call a "supernova".

1 decade ago

GabeN is our hero, the last of the Jedi Masters that seeks truth and justice

1 decade ago

Valve is priceless. You cant buy them. o.o

1 decade ago

+1

1 decade ago

Valve buyed by EA=Cancer= Call of Gordon: Modern crowbarfare

1 decade ago

and they kill first Westwood and c&c franchise

1 decade ago

and bioware is going to same road too

1 decade ago

And no more free DLC's.

1 decade ago

+

1 decade ago

well valve should buy is everyone out including shareholders so they make it private and dont care bout those sharehold aka money greedy

1 decade ago

EA didn't make CoD

1 decade ago

No but EA did buy it out, just as they did with old Westwood.

Everything EA touches turns to shit.

I used to love the OLD C&C games now it is a fucking joke ><

1 decade ago

...did you just mistake C&C and CoD?

1 decade ago

In a way they did.. just not directly. CoD is the spiritual successor to MoH. Google it and you'll probably find an article of AA's team left. Which is around the time MoH started to go downhill. Gee I wonder when CoD started going downhill..

1 decade ago

hah.

1 decade ago

It doesn't hurt to ask. I guess Gabe was laughing his ass of!

1 decade ago

Maybe 16 trillion. Then we can make up for obamas mess he's gotten us into hey!

1 decade ago

Your country has been in debt for decades and you blame it all on your current president. You are stupid.

1 decade ago

@AustralianMagic Agreed

1 decade ago

Our economy is based on debt and has been since Washington just fyi

1 decade ago

except for jackson, that is

1 decade ago

Clinton cleared it up mostly but then bush re fucked it.

1 decade ago

^What he said

Also, it's kind of funny that foreigners know the USA's economy better then the so-called "americans".

1 decade ago

I'm American and I take offense to that. You're stereotyping Americans as dumb ass southerners.

1 decade ago

I'm southern american and I take offense to that. You're stereotyping southerns as dumb ass Americans.

1 decade ago

I'm a dumb ass American and I don't know what you are talking about.

1 decade ago

Sorry. I meant residents of the bible belt.

1 decade ago

Sorry. I meant residents of the bible belt.

1 decade ago

I know, it was a joke (;

Even though its a stereotype anyway...

1 decade ago

Yeah and our populous still doesn't realize that the so called conservative presidents have put the US in most debt it had been in at the time of their Presidency. Started with Regan, then during Bush Sr,, we were in the highest debt at time, suddenly with Clinton there was a surplus, then even higher debt with Bush Jr.

1 decade ago

Basically, our choices are the party of big government, or the party of big government that lies about it.

We haven't had a truly "conservative" party in a long time.

1 decade ago

Yep. This.

1 decade ago

he should blame Jews.

1 decade ago

inb4 birth certificate

1 decade ago

Ron Paul 2012. I don't care that he suspended his campaign. I'm writing him in anyway. Romney may understand how to fix the economy despite his numerous faults in other areas but Ron Paul understands how to fix the country.

1 decade ago

Can't... stop... laughing...

PS: I didn't even know "disintegrate" was a real word. :D

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

1 decade ago

1 decade ago

If it did happen we'd all bend over and take it, All we want is a good service and all our games in 1 place. Im sure even if EA had, they wouldn't have done anything with Valve, its a working system. And it would also benefit us with getting rid of Origin :P

1 decade ago

BioWare used to be a working system too :P

1 decade ago

Only problem is that they would charge more, or find a way to make more money off of it

1 decade ago

Im sure even if EA had, they wouldn't have done anything with Valve, its a working system.

Have you not been paying attention to EA for the past 15 years or so? That is EXACTLY what they do. Westwood? Bioware? Pandemic Studios? Origin Systems? DICE? All dead, gutted, dying. or a shadow of their former selves because EA runs them into the ground in the name of short-term profits, because of their horrendously backwards management philosophy emphasizing near-term (generally within the next 2-4 quarters) profits over long-term sustainability.

Buying up valuable studios, then destroying them because of their obsessive tendancy to fix what ain't broke, is EXACTLY what EA's business model does.

1 decade ago

EA would move everything to their servers (origin)... they will ALWAYS mess with things they shouldn't

1 decade ago

Okay, One thing. WANTED. Not WANTS. The bid was already refused, and not recent from what I can see, so it should be the past tense.

1 decade ago

I'm sure they still WANT.
Anyway I've changed the tile to "tried".

1 decade ago

Yeah, Thanks for that.

Just to say btw, I'm sure they still want to buy valve too, but given Gabe's response, and the fact that the bid was already turned down means they are no longer wanting to...for that amount, so yeah. Anyway, thanks for the edit!

1 decade ago

Not enough ea hate circle jerk in here

1 decade ago

1 decade ago

It's hip to hate on EA (not that they don't deserve plenty of hate for things they've done), so of course the "game journos" jump in with sensationalist headlines whenever they can.

1 decade ago

lol so the hate isnt even justified on this front.

I only dislike them because they took over and then ran some great gaming developers into the ground.

The Origin/DRM thing is a dumb reason to hate them.

1 decade ago

<3 Westwood Studios, CnC Generals 2 sounds like a pretty bad nightmare, I heard they were going to make it free to play >.< I imagine a CnC4 style gameplay.

1 decade ago

PLEASE give valve to EA! Maybe then there will be bug fixes and patches instead of useless updates that add MORE bugs. Valve has proven that the only thing they can do right is ruin games in both gameplay and performance

1 decade ago

Tits or Gtfo.

1 decade ago

1 decade ago

Sounds like a description of EA more than Valve.

1 decade ago

Sounds like a faulty sarcasm detector.

1 decade ago

People like you deserves aggressive attitude to straighten you up and are needed to be kept in isolation so your thoughts can't contaminate others.

You have a computer with internet access doesn't mean you can sprout whatever you can type. Freedom of speech is given to people so they can use it not abuse it.

1 decade ago

I hope that you're referring to God giving people freedom of speech. That's one of those things called natural rights which no person or entity composed of person's can take from you. They can certainly violate your natural rights but they can't take them from you or confer any additional natural rights to you.

Also it's impossible to abuse a right. Exercising your rights in a manner that other people disagree with isn't abusing them.

1 decade ago

He was exercising and mine was the feedback.

1 decade ago

In addition, right that are exercised without caution is like cancerous to this earth. That's what I meant by the word 'abuse'.

1 decade ago

The only good valve game is Portal 2. I think valve need to move out of the previous generation and quickly move through the current. Crappy source games.

1 decade ago

Why does graphics matter?

1 decade ago

Graphics? This is about performance. Which valve achieves by adding bugs

1 decade ago

cool story bro

1 decade ago

What games are you playing? Can't tell if sarcasm or trolling anyway.

1 decade ago

Your kidding right? TF2 Runs better on my computer, then Mass effect 3... Either you are doing something wrong, or you are really a fool.

1 decade ago

Has freedom of speech gone to far?

1 decade ago

I said in the OP, "No Lowballs."

1 decade ago

Hahahhaha +1billion xd

1 decade ago

If Valve was bought by EA Episode 3(.1) woulda been rushed out asap and the preorder bonus for Episode 3.1 woulda been a coupon to get Episode 3.2 1$ cheaper.

1 decade ago

Exactly. EA buying valve means Episode 3, then Half Life 3, then Half Life 4, then Half Life Free to Play. I'm already excited. ;)

1 decade ago

EA is literally Hitler.

1 decade ago

Nah, Hitler was a good person compared to EA.

1 decade ago

Hitler = EA + Activision + Ubisoft maybe?

1 decade ago

EA = Hitler + Activision + Ubisoft

1 decade ago

Nah, you're underestimating Activision and Ubisoft's evilness!

1 decade ago

Nah, you're underestimating EA evilness!

1 decade ago

how could you!

1 decade ago

Didn't EA buy popcap for a similar amount?

1 decade ago

I've read 650 Millions somewhere in those links. They seem to have some money in their Icecream boxes ...

1 decade ago

I guess when they fail at developing a game they feel the urge to buy out another company O.o ... Seems legit i guess

1 decade ago

Thats typically what happens in the industry. An overgrown/bloated developer turned publisher will stop developing good games and instead buy up smaller studios to extend their catalogs.

A sign of a stagnant industry to say the least.

1 decade ago

Looks like you haven't discovered Mass effect, Dead Space, FIFA & Battlefield yet. Thanks them later

1 decade ago

The only thing I want EA to let go is the NFL rights to make the game. Let 2kSports handle the sports game.

1 decade ago

Bioware made the ME franchise, after they got purchased by EA, ME was certainly worse for ware. Pun-ny ;|
DeadSpace/2 certainly were not the the best games ever.
FIFA.. never played it, never will.
Battlefield use to be grand. 1942 is STILL fun. BF3 feels more like MW3 then it should. Granted still better then MW but not as grand as id like to think it could be. Though that certainly more ideological then factual.

That aside, if you had read my comment, you should have guessed that I was hinting at EA's quality and basic attitude towards consumers has been deteriorating for years. EA's core dev team isnt actually existent, its all OTHER devs that they bought up. All of THAT aside, I never said everything ever made or released under the EA logo was shit.

1 decade ago

EA originally started out as a publishing house. They never truly had a 'Dev' team as you put it until the late 80's (87 I think with Skate and Die). They eventually started purchasing Studio's to have more control over the project's in development and to cut costs, after all less sharing out if they own the team.

Also the EA Sport's team has not changed much at all over the year's since it was branded as such, which is what EA Canada work's under, which is the original EA team from way back in 83.

I agree that BF3 doesn't quite feel as 'big' as 42/2/Vietnam but with Armoured Kill you can feel the old game-play breaking through the shiny graphics which is great.

Fifa is probably one of the oldest game franchise still going, and definably one of the game's that keep's EA floating above the debt along side other EA Sports titles and a few of the big IP's (Mass Effect, Dead Space and so on).

An interesting thing about Mass Effect was, Bioware was bought during the final production day's of the game, whilst the game was being published by Microsoft. I'd love to know if Microsoft had any input on the first game's creation and what changed under EA's ownership.

1 decade ago

EA should dissapear and let the others do a good work

1 decade ago

They ARE letting others do good work. That's why they wanted to buy valve; no good work coming from there, just bugs

1 decade ago

You're serious?! When I read your comment above, I thought it was sarcasm, but if it wasn't... I fear for your sanity.

1 decade ago

Kinne is right. Portal 2 was great but they need to make some better games. Crappy prequels and sequels. Its like a video game version of Apple. Bring the same shit out year after year.

The only reason Valve is worth so much is because they sell other companies games for profit. So really they rely on other companies for their survival. At least EA got to where they are by themselves, not hitchhiking on on other developers.

1 decade ago

What both of you are doing is nitpicking. Portal and Portal 2 alone have more quality than everything EA has produced in the last few years combined. And no, the Portals are not the best games ever, it's just that EA has turned into a developer of crapware.

This is why I can't take anyone saying EA is better than Valve seriously.

1 decade ago

TF2.

1 decade ago

tf2 runs great, what should we do?
valve: f2p!
tf2 runs ok, what should we do?
valve: mtp!
tf2 runs like shit, what should we do?
valve: mvm!
tf2 needs to be fixed NOW, what should we do?
future valve: another update that noone wants that will make the game run even worse, and continue our year long no-bug-fix marathon!

1 decade ago

i just think that EA have to do games only for ps3, because normally a lot of theyr games are expensive shit.

1 decade ago

...and what exactly needs to be fixed in TF2?

1 decade ago

TF2 =/= Valve .. they've made another games too, you know..

1 decade ago

Valve should buy EA. And Ubisoft for that matter. Maybe then we'll see some sequels to old long-loved franchises that aren't BS (I'm looking at you, M&M and C&C).

1 decade ago

Heck yeah thats a win for valve if they did that then there would be no competition :DDD hurray ! on side note i'm glad EA didnt buy Valve cause you know what would happen if they did... EA already has there own client so what better way then to completey shutdown valves steam client for good and make us use origin

1 decade ago

Well, if that would happen, they'd probably merge Steam and Origin into one client. They might even keep the name "Steam", because, hey, it's a very well-known trademark. And they'd own it anyway.
However, that would be a completely different Steam... With EA being EA and all.

1 decade ago

why would you merge it with that spyware...
Steam is already good, why merge with their software.

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

1 decade ago

^truth

1 decade ago

I dont think Valve will ever sell out nor will I think they will buy anyone out, they are just happy doing their own thing

1 decade ago

gaben's words: "we would rather disintegrate than be bought out"

1 decade ago

yeah, valve doesn't have a point of buying EA, unless they want to giveaway all those stashed title rights to random indie devs.

1 decade ago

oh

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

1 decade ago

LOL EA! Bitch, please...

1 decade ago

LOL

1 decade ago

Ahh EA I love you :). If you bought out Valve my life wold be complete!

1 decade ago

JK. Please do yourself a favor and go die before someone kills you.

1 decade ago

I hope Valve doesn't buy EA. I'd actually like to be able to afford my games, thank you very much.

(P.S. If you don't understand, Steam will have a monopoly then and be able to sell $100 AAA titles.)

1 decade ago

Theres still gamersgate, greenmangaming, gog, etc

1 decade ago

Most recent Valve game: $14.99

Most recent EA game: $59.99

Sure thing.

1 decade ago

This.

1 decade ago

If valve moved out of source their games might be worth as much. I could get a better indie game than CS:GO

Quality of most recent valve game 3/10

Quality of most recent EA games 9/10

1 decade ago

I'll take an identical release of tf2 every year until 2062 over tf2 with 2062 bugs any day. I used to hate how EA releases the exact same game every year, but compared to messed up games that valve shows no intention of fixing...yeah, I'll go with EA

1 decade ago

Im playing TF2 more then year and never had one bug .

1 decade ago

Hahaha. You're complaining about the engine? What about the actual gameplay?

1 decade ago

i don't see, how lack of Origin could affect Steam prices. There are enough stores all around. And there is no way, Origin is compareable to Steam.

1 decade ago

Not if they want to make money they won't. Demand for PC games is ridiculously elastic and $100 probably exceeds what the average buyer is willing to pay.

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by DrHouse.