http://uk.gamespot.com/news/ea-sought-to-buy-valve-for-1-billion-report-6394880
http://steamunpowered.eu/ea-wants-to-buy-valve-for-1-000-000-000
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/177395/Newell_Id_rather_see_Valve_disintegrate_than_sell_out.php
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVMib1T4T4

So apparently EA tried to buy a company which is worth 3 billions for 1 billions. A company that has had a grown of 200% year after year since it's creation. A company that it's worth more that his, which has had millionaire losses the last years.

I think it would be more realistic that Valve was trying to buy EA before they kill themselves. What do you think?

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Reported for lowball :p

1 decade ago

Sigh

Would be interesting to see EA trying to buy Blizzard, Blizzard would probably try to buy EA for the same money, then sell it at an auction house, and add it to "Blizzard Dota" (i can't stop laughing every time i remember that title)

1 decade ago

"then sell it at an auction house"

I'm on the floor.

1 decade ago

It's funny because EA is dying.

1 decade ago

In what way? Their profits are up, they have probably the most popular IP's of this generation and believe it or not Origin is making 27% profit increases year on year. Their company is worth more than Valve for this reason.

It looks like valve is the next Apple. The only difference is valve is lazier. They sell someone else s games for profit.

1 decade ago

Not exactly, but their way of making money is badly seen by other companies and the userbase as well.

1 decade ago

Screw you EA. Where's Dungeon Keeper 3?

1 decade ago

I know >.>, I don't hate the old Dungeon Keeper games, but my computer just can't run them because they're too old. They should at least make a remake :|

1 decade ago

There's a way to run it. You need compatibility options and the v1.7.

1 decade ago

No :D

1 decade ago

Trying to buy Valve is so stupid. They own themselves. Why would they willingly become slaves to shareholders? It will never happen.

1 decade ago

money. Have you not heard of a take over before.

1 decade ago

why is EA trying to buy Valve if they are trying to sell EA? So dump peoples! I have EA!

1 decade ago

What are you talking about

1 decade ago

xNyuu7x sounds like he's on meth.

1 decade ago

Yes weather is wally yesterday

1 decade ago

Oh, EA...

But this: "Valve boss Gabe Newell explains that he would rather see Valve 'disintegrate' than sell to another company and see his employees slowly picked off." I really respect this. Things like this remind me why I love Valve.

1 decade ago

Now if only gaben would bug fix and patch, he might be worth something

1 decade ago

trolololo

1 decade ago

That's a bizarrely low offer.

1 decade ago

If cents were add, would there be extra decimals?

1 decade ago

In many parts of the world, periods are used to denote every third power of ten, in the way that other parts of the world use commas.

1 decade ago

Exactly. Also, the standard symbol for decimals is a coma, and the standard symbol for miles is a point. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_mark
And if you don't follow the standard things like that happen: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Climate_Orbiter#Cause_of_failure

1 decade ago

Oh, the end of the world is coming.

1 decade ago

EA... smh

1 decade ago

The thought of two of the greatest evils in video gaming coming together is quite frightening...

1 decade ago

valve is the good guys, EA the bad guys, everybody knows that.

1 decade ago

Valve? Evil?

1 decade ago

Lowballers, pfff

1 decade ago

+1

1 decade ago

+1

1 decade ago

EA ? Are you kidding me? I expect that from Ubisoft or Bethesda, but not from EA.

1 decade ago

Bethesda?? dude, Valve could buy Bethesda, the other way around, I don't think so.

1 decade ago

Man, I wish Valve would buy Bethesda.

1 decade ago

+1 that would be so good!

1 decade ago

Yes Bethesda, or more correctly put, ZeniMax Media who own's Bethesda. Highly unlikely naturally, since they are only valued at around $1.2 billion as of 2007.

The original article about EA's purchase is considerably out of context and date. EA's been trying to buy them for year's and that offer was like 'discussed' a long time ago when Valve's value would of then been considerably lower to where it is today.

EA has done considerable mistake's over the years (Any company willing to thing's like this, is simply a bad company) however, practice wise they've been getting better even if their games, price's and marketing has not.

Just consider however, Activision. They have also, and personally I think this, done more harm in the last few years to the Video Games Industry then EA have. Repetitive releases, far over priced games (Both Console and PC), insanely high priced DLC/Expansion packs and some shoddy dealing's with staff members and industry company's (Re: West/Zamppela Suit, which was later Settled out of court and the EA suit which Activision dropped after admitting it was bullshit.)

If we're throwing hate out, let's make sure the rest get their fair share. Ubisoft's only crime in my eye's being dodgy DRM practice's and some piss poor franchise sequels (Yes you Splinter Cell: Conviction and Ghost Recon: Future Solider!) so not much hate there at the minute.

1 decade ago

You have fully expressed my opinion on the matter. So in the common practice of the internet..
+1

1 decade ago

lol

1 decade ago

I didn't know EA were comedians... XD

1 decade ago

Lol

1 decade ago

1 billion should be just enough for the hats.

1 decade ago

And why is your name DrHouse?

1 decade ago

Says BloodyNosePicker...

1 decade ago

Yup, it's self-explanatory.

1 decade ago

Wow, Gamespot, Steamunpowered and Gamasutra, what you're doing is atrociously bad journalism.
Here is the New York Times article used as a source.

The relevant section reads:
"Valve has been pursued over the years by Electronic Arts, which would very likely have valued Valve at well over $1 billion had the talks progressed that far, said two people with knowledge of the discussion who spoke on condition of anonymity because the talks were private."

The $ 1 billion figure is a hypothetical estimate by two unnamed sources of the NY Times reporter, and is something that might have been offered had the talks progressed that far, which apparently, they didn't !
Don't report other people's guesses as facts.

TL;DR: Bad journalism. EA did not offer $1 billion; talks never progressed that far.

1 decade ago

When I read that NY Times article yesterday, I knew people were going to shit bricks over nothing, about this.

1 decade ago

Yay for copy/paste journalism D:

1 decade ago

Thank God, EA could not buy Valve! Otherwise, I will hang myself.

1 decade ago

So pathetic. But - no surprise they tried it. Steam is their main enemy with it's pricing and community. And that's reason why are people using it - because it's good. And Origin? People are using it only because they must. Thank god that Gaben isn't stupid and cares about Steam :)

1 decade ago

If only he cared enough to fix all the bugs. Lolno

1 decade ago

Actually I disagree with you. The main reason people used Steam was because they had to.

I think most people that got onto Steam did so because they bought a game (CSS, OB or something else) which required them to use it. Steam may be better in most if not all ways, but it's older and had more development time.

1 decade ago

u mad i use steam not because i have too but because it was like so interesting sale and it was really good platform.

1 decade ago

You should comprehend what you read before typing stupid things like "u mad" and giving an irrelevant argument of why you (now) use a platform.

1 decade ago

Lowball.

1 decade ago

Valve will buy EA for $1.

1 decade ago

nice try EA

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by DrHouse.