So here is my FWP: I pre-ordered 3 GTX 1080s. I have sold two of them, and have one remaining. I can sell it or keep it. Part of me really wants to keep it. I sold off my 980s a short while back in preparation for this release. However, I have come across two 980 Ti. Both also come with full EK waterblocks. My rig is configured with a custom cooling loop. So far as I know there is only one company that has previewed a 1080 block, and it is not presently available to all. That means I would have to wait for the release of one. It also means that I would need to reroute my loop. I use rigged ribbing so it's a bit more complex of a process than flex tube.

I realize this is a problem a lot of people would love to have. Believe me, I recognize it is not of terrible importance. I'm not trying to insult anyone nor the complex issues we all face. I'm just trying to make a decision here that I keep going back and forth on, and know some of you have invaluable insights that perhaps I am overlooking.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

FYI: I'm still sans rig so please excuse the spelling and other mistakes that I'm certain to have overlooked above... I've been living off of my phone for last few months.

7 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Which option would you choose?

View Results
GTX 1080
2x GTX 980 Ti in SLI

Using SLI / Crossfire is dumb if you don't have the LATEST released card.

7 years ago

I'm not quite sure I would totally agree with that, but I do think it's a bit of a waste if your CPU does not have enough lanes to allow both to perform at their peak.

7 years ago

So, get a single card… or get two cards that use triple the amount of power (therefore, money) and have to be put in SLI which even in 2016 is a generally non-supported feature. For a what, 30% performance boost? Even less?

7 years ago

It's more the fact that I can put them back into my cooling loop without having to wait much longer... either way will provide enough power for gaming. My monitors are 1080p @ 144MHz... I'm spending too much on cards to afford 4K, but believe me this is one of the reasons I keep going back and forth.

7 years ago

A single 980Ti should be enough to support a 144 Hz monitor at 1080p. If you are throwing away GPUs this fast, by the time you get a 4k display, you will mostly likely be able to get a 1080Ti or whatever they will name this line's Titan.

7 years ago

Correct.

7 years ago

I don't think a single 980Ti is enough for 144FPS in every game. Plenty of games need more horsepower to get to the 144 mark.

7 years ago

4x GTX 1070 in SLI.

7 years ago

:D

It sounds like NVIDIA is allowing 3-way and 4-way go the into the sunset slowly. Users that wish to use that configuration will need to get a special "enthusiasts" key to unlock that functionality. It's such a rarity that anyone has these setups that official support for them may be dying or already dead.

... besides, everyone knows that you wait for 1050 Ti to 4-way. :P

7 years ago

i would go for the 1080.

7 years ago

SLI, and old cards using bigger transistor, mean your electricity's bill will much bigger.
And NVIDIA have a tradition, newer driver make previous gen graphics weaker =))

So If I were you, I will sell GTX 980 to buy GTX 1080.

And for more p/p solution, I will buy a 2nd AMD.

Sorry for my English !!!

7 years ago

Your English is probably better than mine!

Power wise the 1080 is definitely more efficient, but compared to its predecessor the 980s are as well... but it is definitely a factor.

7 years ago

if you don't plan to upgrade to a 1080ti get the 1080, if you'll get a 1080ti in the next year, spend as little as possible with just 1 or 2 980ti

7 years ago

That's kind of where my thoughts are lying... I probably will do the 1080 Ti sometime next year.

7 years ago

Will do the same, so just be patient like I need to as well. It's gonna be worth the wait! :)

7 years ago

Then get the 980ti, you can get them cheap and cash out on the 1080 hype before it drops in price or gets more common due to larger supplies.

:)

7 years ago

neither, going for Polaris, R9 480

7 years ago

No.

7 years ago

according to rumors the 480 has a performance similar to a 390(x)

even if it wasn't true it's a much lower tier, maybe a 1080 can be compared to a new fury with the vega architecture (october 2016)

7 years ago

well for my budget the 480 wud be enough, i can't pay 680$ tbh. maybe i go for 1070, maybe!

7 years ago

yeah but it wasn't the point of the topic :D

7 years ago

lol yeah if i had the money wud definitely go for 1080! but not reference models, i wud love to get a EVGA one. already using an EVGA 980 Ti btw.

7 years ago

Are you going for the best FPS attainable or are you looking for a power-efficient setup? If it's the former go for the sli. If it's the latter, go for the 1080 :) Although it would be better if you just use a of the two cards then just get 2 1080tis if you can wait :)

7 years ago

I would go VW Up.
No, but seriously, what do you do that needs so much firepower? I still have my 560Ti 448 and I can do every single thing I want.

7 years ago

you probably have big problems getting good frame rates with that card in modern games...

7 years ago

Not that much to be honest. But then again, I don't do shooters or mmo's.
My question remains, what on earth does the OP do with his computer that he needs that much performance? Does he simulate creations of universes or something?

7 years ago

well, what do you think why those cards exist? he obviously wants to have optimal performance in games. i have a i7-6700k and a gtx 970, and with some modern games that pc struggles to achieve constant 60fps on ultra settings at my resolution (2560*1080). so even for that resolution i could use more power. now imagine someone has a 1440p or even 4k monitor. or a 144Hz monitor. not even a 1080 can be considered enough for such high resolutions and frame rates.

7 years ago

im waiting for the new amd polaris r9 400 series
a lot of power for low money
http://videocardz.com/60253/amd-radeon-r9-480-3dmark11-benchmarks
the 480 will cost beetween 200-250$ with a low tdp arround 120-150 watt

7 years ago

2x SLI will consume more power, SO NO.

Just sell your 980TI

7 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 months ago.

7 years ago*

Deleted

This comment was deleted 7 years ago.

7 years ago*

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 months ago.

7 years ago

Why preordering 3 GTX 1080? xD

As for question - one card will be better. Not only it will need less power, but also both NVidia and AMD have problems with SLI / CrossFire profiles. So it can be buggy, stuttering and so on. Some games even don't have working 2-GPU modes - like Batman: Arkham Knight.

7 years ago

I have heard rumors that Nvidia's next GPU chip, Volta, is about to be released sometime in the near future.
Reports it will be able to "power a small moon" are said to be "slightly overstating things", though ;P

7 years ago

They just released 1 card from Pascal architecture, and we will have to wait some time for cards like GTX 1060 or Titan. So they won't release Volta earlier than in next 1 - 1,5 year.

7 years ago

It was meant as a joke ;) Yeah, they won't get Volta released before 2018 most likely.

7 years ago

I pre-ordered 3 GTX 1080s

View attached image.
7 years ago

+1

7 years ago

Go for the GTX-1080 thats a no brainier.

Got lucky and was able to catch a gtx-1080 on sale today on newegg,nvidia sold out of theres in like 2 minutes time and evga's site crapped out 5 minutes before the cards even went on sale and hasn't been back up yet so they will likely have some for sale if there site ever come back up if anyone is still looking:)

7 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

7 years ago

Personally, I would prefer the simplicity, power efficiency, reduced heat output, and universal compatibility of a single card, so my vote is to keep the 1080. Also, consider your longer-term plans. You can always add another 1080 in SLI down the road if you so choose, but I doubt you'd want to add a third 980Ti if you were already running a pair of them. :)

7 years ago

I'm gonna just keep my 970 and ain't nobody gonna stop me.

7 years ago

I was an early adopter of SLI and after a few years I finally switched back to a single card and couldn't be happier. SLI simply isn't worth the hassle for the modicum of performance you gain. You're never sure if the new drivers will bunk your system, or cause strange issues that no one else seems to be having. I went through 5 chipset fans as well, they can run quite hot.

7 years ago

I'd sell it and get 1080Ti next year.

Of course that's based on my habit. I don't know yours, so can't make the right judgement or advice.

7 years ago

A single, powerful card is always better than two less powerful ones in SLI/Crossfire.
Stick with the GTX1080, or wait for AMD's 400 series

7 years ago

I supose you can allways sell all your cards and try 1080 on air to see if its tolerable. If not you can allways buy waterblock and reroute your wc later. Just my 2 cents. Also, your 980 tis are about to devaluate A LOT really quick so it was me I would sell them as fast as I could.

7 years ago

I don't have the Ti pair in hand. I actually sold off two standard 980s a while back to put towards the three 1080s I ordered. I was given an offer for two of the 980 Ti in exchange for one of the 1080s I purchased... the offer was a little tempting is all since it would still leave me with two 1080s that I could sell. Then I could run the pair, keep the proceeds from the sale of the 1080s, and keep those on hand to put towards (if not fully cover) the cost of a pair of 1080 Ti upon release later this year.

7 years ago

Thanks for all of thoughts everyone... I think I wanted to hear go the 980 route since they will include the waterblocks, but you have all cinched the deal on what I think I knew was the better option.

GTX 1080 it is!

7 years ago

Because of the power supply, I would go for the single GTX 1080 and take advantage of the reduced heat generation between two GTX 980 TI's, but I don't have (and probably won't have in the foreseeable future) a water cooled system, so heat is more important to me.

7 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.