Hey guys, I'll be getting a new PC with the following specs:

• i5-3470 Processor
  • 8GB DDR3 1600MHz SDRAM
  • 128gb SSD
  • 250W PSU =(
  • Intel HD Graphics 2500

I'm hoping I could get some advice on a decent video card I can get (budget is currently below $200).

Also, should I get some sort of cooling system for it?

Thanks in advance, appreciate it!

Edit: Please note that I do not need to run Skyrim on max graphics, just a decent one will do.
Edit 2: To everyone suggesting I get a better PSU - You're totally right, but this is a slightly customized Dell Optiplex 7010 DT, and I have my own reasons for going with it. I know that I can build a custom PC for less, but like I said, I've got my reasons. AFAIK Dell and HP have their own proprietary connectors for their PSUs. Whether that still holds true, I will only know until the PC arrives.

Thanks for all the tips so far! I've learned a lot.

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

The Intel card is built into the CPU. I would tell you to get a 7850, but you PSU will not handle the load.

1 decade ago

HD 7770 OC

Very good VC

1 decade ago

I dont even think he has enough power for that. (would also need a new PSU if so)

1 decade ago

Could you give me some more information on what kind of PSU you have? Voltages, and whatnot?
Also, I doubt you'll get much from that PSU, where are you getting the computer?

1 decade ago

Hmm to be honest I have no idea, it's the default PSU that comes in a Dell Optiplex 7010 DT (Dell is one of the partners I work with so it's kind of a discounted price).

There are some specs on page 21 of this pdf.

1 decade ago

get yourself a 50$ PSU and buy a asus 7770 DirectCU

1 decade ago

Yep.

1 decade ago

+1

1 decade ago

+1

1 decade ago

A 7750 should run fine with the PSU you've got right now. They're pretty cheap, too.

1 decade ago

AMD Radeon 7750? Seems like it needs at least 400W :(
Edit: You might be right, I did a calculation for my build and the recommended PSU wattage is 236W
sigh of relief

1 decade ago

Your PSU announced wattage is 250W, the actual wattage is less than 200W as it isn't 80+ certified.

1 decade ago

Interesting, could you explain more about that?

What about a 6570? Though if I had to choose between that and a 7750 I would still go for the latter.

1 decade ago

i bought an hd7750 last week and my ps is 300W (real); it works fine. a good check is to find out how much your ps supplies at the several dc voltages and how much the gpu needs at dc in the worst case.

max tpd for hd7750 is 75W, max tpd for hd6570 is 60W. source

1 decade ago

Good to know, thanks.

1 decade ago

Quality PSUs can typically support loads past their advertised wattages. Inversely, cheap PSUs (especially low wattage models) often can't even support their advertised wattages.

But if we can get any EEs in here, they can explain how the voltage of your rails and a bunch of other things matter.

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

1 decade ago

it does have 250W.. it will just pull more watts from the wall to create it check here

1 decade ago

You will definitely need to change your PSU in order to ensure that ANY video card runs stable on the system. And as others have mentioned, get the HD 7770, it has a low power consmuption, but it is very powerful.

1 decade ago

Buy an Antec or Seasonic 80 plus or greater PSU first. Then get an AMD HD 7770 or 7850. Using an Intel Core i5-3470 and AMD HD 7770 is an unbalanced gaming PC. If you could spare enought cash, get the AMD HD 7850.

1 decade ago

Aw. How much would such a PSU cost me?

1 decade ago

With a 7850 I'd recommend at least a 500W PSU. That will cost you about 60 bucks.

1 decade ago

+1 for seasonic, SS-650 costs near 100$

1 decade ago

THE BEST CARD FOR A 250W PSU IS..........................

A CREDIT CARD TO BUY A NEW PSU!

1 decade ago

Nice one :-)

1 decade ago

What monitor do you use? If you run at 1280x1024 ~ 1440x900 and your psu is 80+ certified, you can go for a 6670/7770.

1 decade ago

It's a 16:10 monitor and I'm running on 1680x1050, but I usually run my games in either 1440x900 or 1280x800.

1 decade ago

Well then, one of those I recommanded you earlier will be just fine. Can you tell us the PSU-s full name as well?

1 decade ago

No idea, but will this info help?

Standard 250W PSU
Active PFC or optional
250W up to 90% Efficient
PSU (80 PLUS Gold);
ENERGY STAR 5.2
compliant, Active PFC

It sounds like at least a good 250W PSU to me XD

1 decade ago

If your budget is 200 and under I highly advise you to buy a PSU+GPU, you kinda are asking for trouble sticking anything remotely powerful into that with the PSU you have now.

This and a nice PSU for around 50 will do you just fine.

1 decade ago

if OP's ps is enough for hd7750 or hd6570, i'd advice to stick with it; not worth to spend some more bucks for the hd7770 + a nex ps, since the performance gap is not so much; he said he is not after hi performance graphics.

1 decade ago

OP needs to get rid of the SSD and spend more on the PSU/GPU honestly, if its a pre-built he needs to look at other pre-builts.

He also said under 200, you might as well go with the best you can in that price range. Also why risk your computer on a crap PSU, I have seen people do that and I have seen their PC's go BOOM.

1 decade ago

Again this guy. K, I will explain to you another way: if you have a 3x3m room you don`t need a 100W bulb.

ps: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_radeon_hd_7770_power_edition_review,6.html

1 decade ago

Do we have an issue? Because I don't even recognize you O_o. But you do come off as a total douche...

Scary....

1 decade ago

No, we dont. I just read the content of these forums and dont post too much and whenever I see your name I have the feeling that something not k will be there (just like the thread about hd4xxx). Anyway, that`s not the point: he did not even tell us what PSU he got and you already started with "buy another one". How do you know that he needs another one? There are decent low power PSU on the market from corsair, chieftec, antec, fortron ... what if he already got a 80+cert psu? And about solid state... I prefer not to bring it up.

1 decade ago

He posted the PSU he had 5 hours ago in a PDF just below a couple of these posts. I don't even remember that other thread, apparently it got you all twisted though since many other people here have stated the same thing about his PSU yet you come straight at me, amazing.

He said his budget is 200 and under, I posted what I personally thought was his best course of action to yield the best results possible in his price range, don't like it? To bad, opinions.

1 decade ago

Yeah pretty much everyone is telling me to get another PSU. I would, but unfortunately it is one of those Dell proprietary thingies and I think Dell and HP have different connectors for their PSUs.

1 decade ago

They shouldn't, I thought Dell stopped doing that years ago? Do you need to go with that exact computer?

1 decade ago

Ditch the ssd you will hate yourself if you buy a 250w psu...

1 decade ago

my advice : get new 400/500w PSU and when you have enough money but an GTX 650 Ti or GTX 660 NEVER GO WITH AMD ON INTEL CPU ITS A SHAME!and something else I will tell you first get 4GB DDR3 Ram stick then when you have more money buy another 4GB DDR3 Ram stick and you'll be fine ... why do people think games = MORE POWERFUL CPU NEEDED!Games are actually GPU demanding not alot CPU demanding,so I suggest you buy bettter GPU and some weaker CPU or first buy new GPU and later when you have enough money go for new CPU

Just like I do right now I have GTX 650 Ti and currently using Core Duo E6750 + 4GB Ram DDR2 but I have bought i3 3220+4GB Ram DDR3 1600MHz and now I just need a few more money for new motherboard(only 30-40$ left till I have enough for the Motherboard I liked!) and my PSU is 400w

1 decade ago

Id possibly call Dell and ask them if they can provide a larger PSU (Can't hurt to try). Otherwise check out http://www.anandtech.com/show/4278/amds-radeon-hd-6670-radeon-hd-6570/15 the 6670 in particular. Got one for a relative and it allows them to play most games at around medium to high. You won't get say Battlefield 3 running on anything more than low (if even that) at playable framerates but it will certainly allow you to play a lot more than the HD 2500. Depending on the frame rate you're comfortable with you can get Skyrim to run at medium to even high - just turn down AA.

Just make sure you pick up the GDDR5 version as oposed to the G/DDR3 version, there is a massive performance gap between the two - 20-30% in some cases. Dont be tempted by a DDR3 2GB over say a GDDR5 1GB as the extra GB of Vram will be of little use to you at the resolution you will be playing on.

Edit: Oh and dont bother with a cooling system, you are unlikely to be able to overclock on a 200W PSU and the stock CPU cooler and stock GPU coolers should do fine. If it comes with atleast one (ideally two) fans by default that it. Otherwise you might need to add some fans in.

1 decade ago

Already called them yesterday, they don't have anything better.

Good info, thanks! I've been looking at the Radeon HD 7750 GDDR5, but there are so many of the same types (Asus, Sapphire etc) and I have no clue what the differences are. I guess the most important part is being able to fit the card into my mobo, but I'll have to wait until the PC arrives to get a clearer picture.

1 decade ago

The differences are mainly the brand and fan it uses, most would be fine, Asus and Sapphire are both quality brands.

I second not getting a cooler, no point, most fans can keep up with a decent OC anyways.

1 decade ago

Thanks for the info!

1 decade ago

Np, hope it all works out well for you. :-)

1 decade ago

Hey mate, get a better PSU the 250W will really hurt you when you add another HDD a video card and use your USB's.

1 decade ago

250w PSU is a big bottleneck, buy another.....you bought this components that you list for your PC, and got a 250W PSU? from where? from a computer 8 years old? buy minimum an 650W and get AMD 7970 Ghz Edition or GTX 680 OC.

And my suggestion is get better a normal HDD not SSD because you said you have only 200$ left, and 128 gb is not enough for nothing, byt price difference between SSD and HDD, get and HDD, and better power supply. SSD won't ncrease FPS or makes games better work, only fastly run and load.

1 decade ago

A lot of pre-builts still come with 250-300W PSU's.

Thats a bit overkill for his budget and the performance he wants.

1 decade ago

If he doesn't have enough money, he need to buy an i5-2500k or AMD FX 6100 or something below and similar, better power supply, there are a lot for cheap price for 500-650W, and a decent video card, from AMD or Nvidia, not matter, but one for at least 130$, the most important thing to play games are; Video Card, RAM and processor. And I agree there above, is a bottleneck, having this 250W Power supply, and as you said some pre build come with 250-300W PSU, yes it's true, but they also come with a video card for 30$ that is pretty bad.

1 decade ago

Yeah I know, fact is though he is buying a pre-built(Maybe no choice? Who knows) and well his best shot is a better PSU and a decent GPU, he can do that for under 200 for sure. An HD 7770 and a decent PSU should come to about 170 total on average. With the i5 in that pre-built he should be golden for a while, not maxing everything but...good enough.

1 decade ago

He can see a lot of build on internet, youtube, to match components for his budget, because in my opinion buying not decent PC is waste of money, better get something good but waste more, so if he can't he need to see some pre builds in youtube for example to fit price.

1 decade ago

True but some just don't want to build, I think its always the best option and its not nearly as hard as many make it out to be but its up to OP. He can still play games decently with a new PSU/GPU with what he has but sure he could do better building.

1 decade ago

Why the fuck are you suggesting the highest end cards for his $200 budget?

1 decade ago

and what are you reading? I suggest buy minmum a 130$ video card for his money, and this highest cards are a commentary about what he could got if had more money and better power supply...

1 decade ago

He already said he won`t go for full hd. On 1440x900 you can run anything at medium++ with a hd6850.

1 decade ago

A HD 7750 maybe?

1 decade ago

If you want to keep all the elements that you have, even that psu, look for a "low profile" (smaller and with less consumption).
Take a look to the Radeon HD 7750 lp. It's low profile, 1gb gddr5, and you'll be able to use it with a 250w psu.

1 decade ago

Ah low profile, got it. Thanks.

1 decade ago

Being "low profile" has nothing do do with how much power the GPU needs. It just signifies that the board is narrower allowing it to fit inside low profile cases. A HD7750 GPU will need the same amount of power regardless of whether it's in a standard or low profile configuration.

1 decade ago

The slots I have are:
1 half height PCIe x16
1 half height PCIe x16
(wired x 4)
1 half height PCIe x1
1 half height PCI

Should I still go with low profile?

1 decade ago

Check it out. Look on Tomshardware fo Hd7750 normal and low profile, the last one needs less power due to some cuts on its core. Instead of calling those cards something like "low powered", they use lp as they're smaller too. But, it still is a great card.

1 decade ago

Man for the love of god,upgrade your power supply first, there really is not a good graphic card you can get that can utilize that 250w PSU.Your processor alone uses about 95watts.The hds and ram and optic drive(dvd drive) use up a amount as well.When your graphic card would need to go full draw to play your games that 250w won't be enough.Also just because your PSU says its a 250w does not mean thats its max draw that it can bring.Many Psu draw less than their stamped amount.Upgrade your psu to at least 500-600w then buy a new card.Your processor ,ram and graphic card will thank you.

1 decade ago

My old 300MHz Celeron using that PS... xD

1 decade ago

The PSU is one of the least expensive yet most important components of a PC. Buy a new one. You can get a 600w PSU for 50 dollars.

1 decade ago

Agree with this 100%.

You need a much higher wattage, and don't be cheap about it. The PSU is the backbone of the computer.

1 decade ago

the specs you put up - forget the video card it's fine get a better power supply... 400w minimum

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by elyucaye.