So I've been several months with a different number of games in my wishlist than shown in my wishlist. Games went from 1 to X, but wishlist count (top left in pretty much all store pages) showed 2 more games. I had 2 hidden games. I saw some threads and guides about it, some old, some simply weird and not worth mentioning. The one I think is the best of all I saw is this one:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1746978201

It all started smelling fishy when the site to list your wishlist incorrectly pointed Noita as one of the two hidden games. Incorrectly because it was shown in the wishlist page without any problem.

So one of the games, I located correctly, Before We Leave, still in the works and TBA but removed from Steam (appears in Epic). The other? I used a custom method, rather cumbersome, but well.

First I load the wishlist, view source and locate a big variable which contains all the appids and other little data from all the games in the wishlist, which then other parts of the scripts use to gather the info to list for your viewing pleasure. Some text substitution and I got all the appids in my wishlist.

Then I middle-clicked all the games to open their pages, and used a Firefox extension (Foxytab, one of my most useful ones) to copy the URLs. With LibreOffice Calc I compared all shown games against the real wishlist. Of course there were two missing, the already mentioned Before We Leave, and Monster Sanctuary.

Using the guide, I removed easily Before We Leave, and then removed Monster Sanctuary with the manual method. For the first time since... Months... I had the same number of wishlisted games than shown games. It's silly, but it's something that bugged me for long. So I was satisfied, and happily readded Monster Sanctuary. Refreshed wishlist page and again... Monster Sanctuary didn't show. I had one hidden game again, shown games and wishlisted games mismatch again. Something was rotten in Denmark.

So I thought, what the hall, let's send all this shut to crop and back. I deleted all my wishlist. And since I already had the URLs of all my wishlisted games, I loaded all of them (using Multiple Paste And Go Button extension, also very useful to me) and readded all the games. Again, my shown games and wishlist count matched. My only problem was that all games had the number 0 next to them, and I had to reorder them in the way I liked again. As soon as you do some movement, assign a number manually, or look weird at the monitor, the wishlist smartly adds consecutive numbers to all those unranked games with the zero. And at the first action, the numbers automatically were assigned to... One less than my wishlist number. I had another hidden game again. Not Monster Sanctuary, but another one.

So well, I think I'm going to discover that whatever game is in position X in that variable with all my wishlisted games, for some reason, will never show. I'm pretty sure it's going to be something like that, a bug somehow somewhere that will always affect me with one hidden game.

Since Steam support for client problems or webpage oddities is next to zero, I'm not even bothering searching for how to file a bug report that would be unlooked and unfixed for decades because Steam wins millions from us but works with 30 vicepresidents and 2 developers.

Right now my option is to find what position is the bad one, delete all games again, readd them all but when reaching that position, add there a game I don't want at all. So my hidden game doesn't matter, and the games I care about show. And having to resort to this solution is really pathetic.

I'm sorry I can't add a GA or something decent here for the amount of text about an unimportant thing for 99.9999% people, but if you reached here, I'll leave a pearl for you, related to this experience. As an ex-software developer doing my first tries with programming in the 80's I truly feel the sentiment in this article, and even an average user should read it:
https://tonsky.me/blog/disenchantment/

(Available translations in Chinese French Italian Korean Portuguese Russian and Spanish)

Now for the other little unimportant thing that has been bugging me for months too: how to remove a game from my library that's part of a bundle without removing the rest of the bundle. Can't find a way.

Thank you for reading.

“I made this letter longer only because I have not had the leisure to make it shorter." - Blaise Pascal

4 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Does Steam wishlist suck big time?

View Results
Yes
Yes, very much
Absolutely
Absolutely, plus potato

I also had 4 more games in my WL count than my actual WL, so I removed them using that console trick you linked to.

One thing that helped me: I synced my wishlist here at SG, and then compared the list seen here at SG with the one at Steam. That way, I could easily see what were the "hidden wishlisted games", and then remove them.

Cheers!

4 years ago

That's a nice trick, faster than my method, ty! The problem with Steam's WL is that you can select all and copy, it only copies a portion of the list, but with your trick I'll have one step easier.

4 years ago*

Thanks for the disenchantment of the software. I have been thinking the same as him for several years.
For a time ago I have been changing all the apps on my phone for more open-source alternatives that are much lighter and in many cases better.

4 years ago

Same, when my gf linked me that article, I felt I've had the same thoughts for so long, specially since I started serious development at RAD fad peak. It was like building a duck with lego bricks. They're already made, easier to work with than, let's say, plaster or clay or marble. And the final product resembled enough a duck (looked, walked, sounded and pooped like a duck). And I knew if I used clay it would have been a much much better duck. Just it would have costed x10 and took x20 to make. But what made me bitter about it is that sometimes I was forced to use a lego brick for 1% of what it did. It felt like the famous junk DNA thing. Most of our DNA is comprised of non-working genes that do nothing. That's the code of most of applications built like that: most of its code will never be executed.

I want to be again impressed at 64kb intro compos under DOS without 3D acceleration.

I have been using open source for 99% of my workflow in the computer (except Windows itself, got tired of having to take too much care of Ubuntu) for 2 decades, but not very lucky with the phone. I use it very little anyway. The only "big" one is Firefox for Android and while it works very nice, it gobbles up data space as if it were free and I don't understand why or how to cut it down.

Anyway not getting much luck with phone either. Something went wrong and I want to make a backup and put it back to factory defaults, but I can't make a backup, it stalls and fails at so many files - but seemingly operates as if all files were working well, tho I lost some.

4 years ago

• 10% app
  • 40% junk code (thanks peoble that make simple games on unity3d, or apps on electron, appsBuilder, game maker, AppMakr and similars, etc.)
  • 60% spyware, adware

More than 100Mb for each app, such as a gallery app, or sms, keyboard, etc.? No. I don't want to buy a new phone just because it doesn't have enough internal memory, the one I have works fine, thanks.

In other times, when gigabytes, +3 GHz CPUs with multi-cores, terabytes, etc. The developers strived to optimize their creations to the maximum.
Why would you give priority to optimization if resources exceed what is necessary? Today they only focus on doing things fast, with unity, wordpress or whatever saves them time, but instead adds megabytes of junk code that application, web, game or whatever ever they will use.
And since they still have space, why not add several telemetry, advertising, etc. services?

If something sounds incoherent when you read, it's because I use a translator 😋

4 years ago*

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.