I guess this is the new historical low from Ubisoft. You can see this warning on the game's Steam page. The news about DLC and online features were already bad, removing the entire game is something else.

Edit: Silent Hunter 5 and Anno 2070 will have the same fate apparently.
Edit 2: Added Space Junkies.
So the current list is:

• Assassin’s Creed Liberation HD
  • Silent Hunter 5: Battle of the Atlantic
  • Anno 2070
  • Space Junkies

Related thread: [Ubisoft] Multiplayer and DLC access ending in September 2022 for some older games

Update: Ubisoft changed the notices and the games seem to be accessible after September 1st, though DLCs still won't be accessible.
Was that a mistake or did they change it after the gamers' reaction, it's a mystery for now.

Something for El Presidente Lvl3+ ENDED

1 year ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

How will you act about Ubisoft products after this news?

View Results
I'll continue to buy Ubisoft games on Ubisoft Connect.
I won't buy Ubisoft games until they released on GOG.
I won't buy Ubisoft games ever again.
I stopped buying Ubisoft games years ago.
Le potato.

Added something little. <3

1 year ago

"Please note this title will not be accessible following September 1st, 2022" Well, as long as it's not removed from libraries, OK, I guess? I don't buy Ubisoft games that are not on steam or GOG

1 year ago

Yes, the game's files will stay in your Steam library but this game can be played via Ubisoft launcher so I guess it'll be gone forever since you won't be able to access it.

1 year ago

The fuck!!! Even in the European union?

1 year ago

No idea how things will turn out but currently it seems so.

1 year ago

Wait I still don't understand, can it still be playable or not?

1 year ago

Apparently not.

1 year ago

Oh thanks, I'm glad I didn't buy it then because I was about to.

1 year ago

No problem. You saved from a close one then. :)

1 year ago

The game was even on sale during Steam Summer Sale 2022 according to price history. Ubisoft can't delete the game from your Steam library or Steam servers without help from Valve. I'll be an interested observer how the affair develops.

1 year ago*

Please inform me, on the discord about it, when you see something happen.

1 year ago

Indeed it will be interesting to see what will happen since this incident includes another launcher with a separate account.
Though what Ubisoft done here is a scam so at least Valve should be able refund people who bought this recently, but again I have no idea since it's a different launcher.

1 year ago

Let's see how this situation evolves in the European Union, they usually have something to say about these things.

1 year ago

I hope they conclude something precedent pro-consumer. Otherwise things might go wild.

1 year ago

Part of a recent review I just read about that game "Ubisoft delisted this game adding that it will be inaccessible following September 1st, 2022. So I basically bought a digital paperweight. Thanks Ubi."
I never bought this game.. Buuuuut.. "digital paperweight" is extremely accurate

1 year ago

Well, with this Ubisoft shows that they can do this to any game and how could their NFT thing go wrong. I mean no one would be mad if it's just multiplayer servers of a certain game after 8 years (they still should release some patch so community can go after this though), but removing an entire game states (again) how bad DRM is. If pirates can enjoy the game but people who bought it cannot, what's the point right?

I completely agree with that review.

1 year ago

Same..
I think it's probably one of the very few times where it reeeally shows what not owning 100% something you bought means..
Let alone the "confusion" with other platforms etc. Technically, it isn't even steam's fault.. Steam is an angel in this.. Buuut they allowed this..
I'm too tired atm to analyze this but I hope this makes an uproar somewhere as gaming is headed to shit.. And it makes sense that some result to piracy due to bs like this one (and others, though smaller, in the past)

1 year ago

Yeah, I wish Valve didn't allow another store launchers. I hope gamers will stand against Ubisoft in this one and someone would take an action, preferably EU.

1 year ago

I have this for Xbox 360; guess I should get to playing it. Honestly forgot it even existed.

I feel bad for everyone that worked on the game. Their work of art will now cease to exist (legitimately, anyways), and it will forever be marked with mostly negative consumer reviews.

Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if Ubisoft actually makes it so we can at the very least keep this game. If people make enough of a stink, and enough large voices get involved, that is. The Assassin in the game is a black woman, and the series first female protagonist, so it's (probably) guaranteed success if the activist crowds get involved. Ubi would be fools to not bend to that kind of pressure.

1 year ago

According to reviews it's not even a good game but this is just a bad practice and anti-consumer. I wonder how Ubisoft ended up with this decision but everything has a start which is the worrisome part.

1 year ago

this applies only to PC versions, as the support assured me, in addition, the main games will be available, but they will lose DLC and multiplayer due to the complete shutdown of the servers

1 year ago

Good to know my 360 copy isn't going away. Thanks for the info.

1 year ago

but my copies will lose the DLC on the PC. You're luckier than me

1 year ago

It really is a bunch of nonsense. Hopefully they come to their senses and at the very least let everyone keep Liberation HD. I'm fairly ignorant with how that could work, but you'd think there would be a way to make it happen.

1 year ago

they will save all the games, but DLC is disabled in them

1 year ago

Ah, apologies for my confusion. I wasn't aware that they'd reversed their decision regarding Liberation HD. At least there's that, I guess. Ubisoft obviously still sucks though.

1 year ago

I'm sure both Steam and Ubisoft have stuff on their EULAs to cover them for this cases but man... this is a bad precedent to set, hopefully somebody takes action on this. it will be hard, but something should be done.

1 year ago

Most likely though I just wonder what will Valve do over something like this. But I agree that someone should set a pro-consumer precedent to this.

1 year ago

oh wow, I thought this was just a rehashing of the other topic but if this holds, now an entire single player game is dying.

Honestly, I wonder if this actually also applies to the Ubisoft Connect version and it just isn't stated. Granted, I don't know why they would forget to write that on their own store, but it does make me wonder. Because it's weird that all the other games that are also shutting down services would still have access to single player and not this one.

1 year ago

Yeah that's pretty weird, no additional statement there. Unless (assuming) they give pre-owners some new version of the game, this is a total scam. Which still a bad practice because the user bought it from a their choice of store.

I guess we'll see what will happen in 2 months.

1 year ago

Indeed, but I'm hoping for a faster turnaround and improved announcement. I don't actually own this game but this still falls in line with recent issues and I'd be interested in their resolution.

And while this doesn't answer the question from an official perspective, I find this user's investigation interesting, specifically "tyl0413"'s post on UPlay V1 and so on. Although Rayman Legends would appear to be V2 by their notes, so I'd wonder if it's actually a V1 or if this is a sign that V2 games are up next on the chopping block.

1 year ago

I checked that forum entry and yeah it seems pretty interesting and explained well. I realized that the worst part is, they knew very well something like this will happen someday since no server last forever yet they did go this way, it was a company choice. If Rayman indicates V2 games will also go, the situation seems worse.

1 year ago

I got Liberation HD through the season pass for AC Odyssey - as a game mode for AC III remastered (which was also included). I wonder if my version is also affected by the shutdown, since it's not a standalone version like the one on Steam. In any case it's a pretty nasty thing to sell something and then just take it away.

1 year ago

I just checked and there is no statement about that version. So Ubisoft should give AC III Remastered to the people who bought this game (?), otherwise it would be a scam, assuming they also won't remove that version.

1 year ago

What a 💩 of decision, really🙈

1 year ago

This sounds a bit too shady, even for a big scummy publisher like Ubi, I really hope this is illegal somewhere so it can come back to bite them in the ass. This whole stunt is setting a terrible precedent.

1 year ago

and yet they always saying piracy is BAD
NO!!! THEY'RE THE ONE WHO MAKES PIRACY THRIVING!!!

btw i only have this on uplay and there doesnt seems any warning. maybe it's fine in uplay library?

1 year ago

Just came upon this and it's hilarious:
https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/vwchjq/this_seems_like_poor_phrasing_from_ubisoft/

Seems like this is a server related issue, so probably it isn't safe on Uplay either.

1 year ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

1 year ago

lol. it's closed by mod now

1 year ago

Well, I went through Ubisoft's original blog post again:
They tell us you can't access DLC anymore which is bad enough but we know already. No mention to make the base game inaccessible. If you download any game of the list all DLC is included in the game files but you need a server to verify that you own the DLC and are allowed to play. No authentication server = no DLC.

Edit: If they really follow through with this bullcrap I'll predict a third party DLC Unlocker will arrive soon.

View attached image.
1 year ago*

If they really follow through with this bullcrap I'll predict a third party DLC Unlocker will arrive soon.

It's called Koalageddon DLC Unlocker.

1 year ago

That's a f. awesome tip. Thanks!

1 year ago

That was fast ⚡

1 year ago

They've existed for at least 6 years

1 year ago

Thanks for pointing out RevCat I figured this Swiss Army Knife wasn't built for this recent Ubisoft incident.😉

1 year ago

Also CreamAPI.

1 year ago

I've been made aware that Silent Hunter 5 has the same notice now

EDIT: Just going down the catalog myself now. Other games in the original decommission notice now contain the following wording " Please note the Deluxe Edition and DLC for this title will not be accessible following September 1st, 2022 ". They might be updating these while I am scrolling through so consider checking back later.

1 year ago*

I've played all of them except Valhalla. I need a break in between so big maps. Liberation in my opinion is the poorest game out of all the Assassin's Creed games. Story is shallow and poorly acted, gameplay is poorly ported from PlayStation Vita and controls are rather clunky, but I'm happy I was able to play them. If you think you'll miss out with this one I can promise you that you'll not. Story isn't even related much to the AC franchise whatsoever.

If they are closing down the access to even play older games, Ubisoft may release update remastered or remade older Assassin's Creeds, although they never did a good job with 3rd, I'd like to see that.

1 year ago*

You're missing the point Vasheral people get upset if something is taken away from them especially if they paid for. Doesn't it speak volumes that a company with 16,000 employees isn't able or inclined to whip up a small program that does the same as some dudes coded in their spare time?

1 year ago*

It's true, but they said the servers are being taken down, meaning there won't be any online connection features. Did they say they are removing even the capability to play the game?

EDIT: I saw DLC's too. I've not played yet Far Cry 3, so I'm probably going to play it before I no longer have access to the DLC's, although I don't see any on my Steam account.

1 year ago*

well, if you haven't then take a look at Steam store page, which OP listed

1 year ago

Oh I see, it's really unfortunate for people who never played the older games. Unless they remake them, which I doubt seeing them doing them for the older games any time soon. I would like to see it maybe in this AC Infinity thing, where you revisit the games again in the new engine? These are only speculations. I doubt Ubisoft does anything for what the fans wants.

1 year ago

yeah, sadly most remakes or remasters (mostly they are latter) aren't still up to par with original, only better graphics with costs of bugs
fortunately there still are devs/publishers who give them free for OG games owners and leave up to consumer to decide which version (s)he wants :D

yeah, for AC Infinity or whatever it will be called eventually, I'm skeptic but at the same time curious :)

1 year ago

I'm a fan of the series and to be honest, it's the only reason I've not been hateful towards the company. I love the developers, because in the end, they work for Ubisoft and they are pushed to the max and crunched. I with people would give the devs more credit for their hard work, even if it's not always what we want, I am pretty sure in the inside there's a totally different vision then what the heads of Ubisoft and any other corporation and publisher lets out.

1 year ago

gotta agree there, as I'm quite fanboy for Assassin's Creed and Far Cry :)
for publisher part I hate when they give you release date year-two earlier and then cut content to reach in time and never get that content added :P
I'd like to see updates about development progress more (not like how Dead Island 2, at that point you just believe game is finally canceled and let your mind be done with it)
they just should give release years, and within quarter release full date (like who cares if you know it half a year ago or now, you still can play only after 3 months)

1 year ago

for publisher part I hate when they give you release date year-two earlier and then cut content to reach in time and never get that content added :P

The more I learn about game development the more I see this happening. The developers work really hard and don't deserve the hate because they work under Ubisoft. I've seen a lot of bad shit said to them. We've got to know how to criticize and express our ungratefulness elsewhere and the best way to terminate a project is obviously with our wallets, but then again, it hurts the people that brings us, SOMETIMES, some really good games.

1 year ago

That program gives anyone access to all DLC for any game. You can see how that's not a great business model. That's not to say Ubisoft aren't assholes for doing this. But people kind of brought this on themselves.

1 year ago

From a legal point of view you're right but not all people are assholes (I'd even wager most aren't) and exploit everything they theoretically can. If this wasn't true The Witcher 3 would have sold exactly one copy. How about less worrying about DRM and instead making better games which people want to support and spend their money on?
Like always with these companies legit customers are handed the shit end of the stick while all others have no issues.

1 year ago

There's still a moral threshold and an inconvenience, if Ubisoft released an official program that allowed access to any DLC for any game this threshold would be much lower and it would be much easier for people to do it. It's guaranteed to lose them money, why would they do that (other than out of the goodness of their hearts) especially if they're already losing money? It doesn't make any monetary sense and in the end that's the only thing most companies care about.

1 year ago

Well, you are right there: it would cost manpower and is (potentially) risky. Change of plans: just checked cost of a bare metal server with maintenance (which could be used for authentication of DLC ownership) is about USD 200 per month.

So for USD 2,400/year they could do a lot to improve their image. Considering they already poured at least USD 120 million in their coming game Skull and Bones (which is prone to fail mark my words) I'd consider this a discussion about peanuts.

1 year ago

I personally think Skull and Bones has potential, if enough work is placed over time. I can understand the fact that it isn't much of a revolutionary gameplay than Black Flag and Rogue's ship combat, but it's something still. I believe the devs must have enjoyed that aspect and really wanted to deliver on a separate experience.

I really don't see the hate towards it. Not everybody likes Assassin's Creed and not everybody wants to play it. Giving people who maybe love naval and pirate themed games a chance is not a bad idea. There's nothing wrong in a spinoff from a game that works. It opens possibilities to have more pirate themed games and this is by no means comparable with Sea of Thieves as many try to compare it with.

It will be more niche based and probably will lose a lot of money due to negative marketing and attitude from so many influencers and gamers, but you can't deny that we need more pirate games and it could deliver in a much more polished experience if given a chance.

1 year ago

First off, I don't hate any game and always hope for success as a lot of livelihoods depend on it.

On the other hand looking at the facts available to me I'm not overly optimistic: after eight years in development hell and the studio heavily subsidized by Singaporean government deadlines have to be met and they have to shove their product out the door no matter what.
Ubisoft being Ubisoft the only part of the game working flawlessly at release will be the in-game shop with micro transactions probably. Ubisoft's latest publicity stunt doesn't help the game's reception either.

I do sincerely hope I'll be proven wrong though.

1 year ago

I'm 100% sure there's going to be some typical businesses practices. I normally can sustain myself from spending on such games if I've paid a release full price for $50 to $100 that comes nowadays. It's upsetting and I can perfectly understand why Ubisoft gets the hate, but like any other corporation, they feed off of negativity and can actually hurt a lot of talented artists and game developers who may have put a lot of sacrifice to crunch in deadlines.

Ubisoft hasn't put a full fledged game in the last 2 years and this may be the single one that comes this year because of that. It may not look pretty and its not what everybody wants, but it's for some who do. I personally am not excited about this game, but I'll play it with my wife who's more optimistic because she wants something different.

People don't seem to understand that spreading hate towards a company of such proportions, like Blizzard, Ubisoft, EA, 2K and many other don't affect their sales, but improves them. The best way to vote down a game is with your wallet.

I hope that we're both proven wrong because I have my personal worries with this game from the looks of it, but I'm giving it a chance to maybe, NOT NOW BUT in the future, impress the people that love the setting.

1 year ago

If they’re going to take away something I paid for, I don’t need to buy their games anymore. Why should I trust them?

1 year ago

Unfortunately can't disagree about this logic.

1 year ago

no problem my friends, who wants to play it, there is cracked version. f*q UBISOFT

1 year ago

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/vvybqx/ubisoft_why/

I am one of those players who bought quite a lot of games from them, it was already a sad (shitty) decision when they left steam,
but now if they just remove access to games / dlc instead of removing single player DRM on these old titles,
it will be a big blow to their already damaged reputation.

I don't really care about AC liberation. But it's already much more sad for AC3 dlc, anno 2070 dlc and splinter cell blacklist dlc.
It seems there is no way to contact their support actually about that, because of covid they say. Or maybe because they are already drowned under the tickets ?

1 year ago*

I tried writing to their support about clarification on this but you can no longer write to them, but have to do live chat. Which of course is fucking closed: https://i.imgur.com/wYyWD8f.png

I've bought a little over 40 unique games (some more than once for different platforms) for their platform. Obviously I won't buy any more, but isn't this rather illegal in the EU? You can't make something a digital paperweight like that. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but wasn't there a case regarding this some time back? Or some decision in the EU.

1 year ago

what was the price in the last sale ?

1 year ago

Rather buy Anthem from EA at this point honestly. Ubisoft shows that they have no care for their games except the really popular ones like Rainbow Six Siege. Removing DLC and multiplayer content? sure, but delisting the game from Steam and wanting to take away singleplayer access too? that's just on a new level. Even the newer games from Ubisoft that aren't as mainstream suffer from issues too which can make the games infuriating to play with friends, like Ghost Recon Wildlands. Every time you launch the game, you have a 50% chance of being told "haha sorry we couldn't connect to our servers, may you just play offline?". Like I paid for this, I want a functional experience, even EA does this better with each FIFA each year when they copy and paste the same game. Conclusion: never buy Ubisoft games till they return back to Steam, even Microsoft did this and till the Ubisoft Connect launcher is defunct (garbage launcher, rather use Rockstar Games launcher, Ubisoft even has the audacity to put popup ads in the launcher).

1 year ago

I stopped buying Ubisoft games when they left Steam, no platform war I just never think to launch uPlay.
It means that Ubisoft games I own (on Steam) are for most of them impacted by this decision, it cannot make me want to buy more from Ubi...
If I understand correctly (big IF) it's due to online verifications/drm. How hard is it to just stop the verifications and let the content be accessible? If they're willing to stop selling those games, why aren't they willing to to set them drm free but purchasable?

1 year ago

Valve really should allow refund in situations like these after any time and any play time.

1 year ago

What makes you think Valve ever cared about the consumer?

1 year ago

The steam deck release has been the most consumer friendly console release I've ever seen, they're not as shitty as you may think. They can and should do something about this situation.

1 year ago

The Steam Deck is more a mini computer than it is a true console, Valve has very little to gain by restricting it. Other consoles are more restrictive because they want to make it as hard as possible for people to pirate their stuff. Anything available on the Steam Deck is also available on a normal PC, so what does Valve gain by restricting it?

Valve is far shittier than most fanboys like to admit, but there's no point in debating subjective opinion. You are free to feel however you want about Valve. But from my point of view they haven't done a single thing that wasn't for monetary reasons.

They could do something about it but I 100% guarantee they won't (unless they're forced to by a court or something).

1 year ago

Who cares what their little hearts are thumping over. It's bad PR, plain and simple. Just like the backtracking of paid mods, the idea that a company would care to do basic damage control isn't that novel of a concept. I hope you haven't fooled yourself into thinking that a company cared for you when something good happened.

1 year ago

Ubisoft is trying hard to become the most hated game company.

1 year ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.