So, for those who are unaware, I'm mostly a game designer with some animation and texturing skills, but I also want to pick up some basic coding skill, just so I can get a job here in Australia while trying to make my own games.

Easier said than done.

Anybody know of some places where I can find great Java and C++ tutorials that'll specifically help me start building playable games? I know plenty of C, but I've yet to make C do anything playable, and I'd rather use Object-Orientated programming for that kind of thing.

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

1 decade ago

I'm doing a uni course for Games Design. As far as buying books, I just recently bought my text books for Game Design, and it costs $300; we have to get them from Amazon/EBay and our dollar is weak atm.

I've tried looking around here, but not a single damn book shop has any coding lessons relevant to games.

1 decade ago

I would go with a competent book, because that's how I learned a bit of javascript (I was a 14 year old student at that time and wasn't so free)

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

1 decade ago

The only book I ever found on game coding was in a Library about 8 years ago, and since then I can't find it (not even on the online catalogue).

1 decade ago

Try this bundle. $10 gets you a full set of lectures and materials for several languages.

Have you considered using Unity? The engine supports C and Java for the code and is the easiest engine to start making games on. And yet it doesn't compromise on anything - the more you learn the more powerful it gets. There are a lots of tutorials out there including a few inbuilt ones. There is a free version you can learn/practice on but you'll need to buy the licence if you want to release commercial products.

1 decade ago

Isn't it mainly for web design?

Unity - mainly JavaScript(UnityScript), C# and Boo

1 decade ago

BTW, Phelan, I'm working on responding to the group chat. I've just been laid down with a lot of heavy work recently.

1 decade ago

We're doing Unity next term, and I already have some experience with it, but I need to know what tutorials are the best to get the coding experience.

Thanks for the bundle heads-up, though :)

1 decade ago

Hah, a name your own price as long as it's $1 minimum. No thank you. >_>

1 decade ago

1 decade ago

<3 Thank you sir.

1 decade ago

https://www.edx.org/course/harvardx/harvardx-cs50x-introduction-computer-1022 <br>
Harvard Intro to Comp Sci

Harvards online computer course with an option of getting it officially certified kinda through EDX. Worth a check out for any one, they got heaps of courses done by MIT, Harvard and other high end universities so there might be a better programming one on there as well.

1 decade ago

Oh cool, thanks mate :)

1 decade ago

1 decade ago

I like them, but their problem is it's all web-based. I want to do more proper program coding.

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by McJobless.