Well, according to Rock Paper Shotgun, at least.

Here are some of my favorite bits from the article:

The stabbing causes V to level up, and the person playing the demo opens up a menu with twelve options for skill points, though we don’t get a good look at them. Once the menu’s closed, a man comes at us with superhuman speed, but we grab hold of him and advance on a turret as it riddles his body with bullets. Then – because again, we’re very strong – we rip the turret off its base and turn it on the Animals. At this point, I feel increasingly uncomfortable that we’re shooting at predominantly black people labeled as animals

I want moral dilemmas and thoughtful exploration of transhumanism. More importantly, I want the game not to lean on racial stereotypes

He told me that nuance would appear over the course of the game and that the Animals would appear again under different circumstances. He didn’t give me any examples of that nuance, mind

We’re discovered soon after, as a stealth attack goes awry. We punch that man to the floor, then stab another Animal many times with a broken bottle as they try to run away from us. It’s horrible

Once our cover’s blown, we start hacking people’s robo-arms, making them prematurely pull grenades or shoot themselves in the head. It is, again, horrible

I asked Tomaszkiewicz for examples of quests that explored the kinds of questions I’m interested in. Questions less like “how many people can I chop to bits at once with my Nanowire”, and more “what are these cranial augmentations doing to my identity”

I’m also increasingly concerned about Cyberpunk’s handling of non-white cultures... I asked Tomaszkiewicz if he was concerned they weren’t treating certain cultures with enough respect

Welp, time to cancel my preorder then.

On a serious note, I agree with what someone wrote about this article elsewhere: "Isn't that a fluff piece? They write those as they know it will give them traffic. Be it from people who want to agree with them, or people who want to be outraged by them.
It's proven to be a pretty effective way of actually getting "engagement", and in the long run advertisement revenue, and is basically what keeps the lights on at many of those video game "news" outlets. Most of them have like 80% fluff, 20% "real" articles. (Numbers were made up on the spot, don't read too much into them, but the majority tends to be fluff).
The best thing we can do if we want to change things is to focus on the actual news articles, the ones that are not just fluff and spread those, and hope that other people will follow. But sadly clickbait is just such an effective way of getting views that I doubt we'll stop seeing mostly fluff anytime soon"

In any case, I got my fun out of this article, what about you?

4 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

4 years ago

"I’m also increasingly concerned about Cyberpunk’s handling of non-white cultures... I asked Tomaszkiewicz if he was concerned they weren’t treating certain cultures with enough respect"

They can go fuck themselves with their bullshit. Tired of this shit and their PC

4 years ago

Maybe they should ask the black author of the Cyberpunk franchise. No wonder Gamer Gates wanted ethics in journalism.

4 years ago

polygon 2

4 years ago

4 years ago

Such a PERFECT classic. How the instructions are written there right in front of him, and they couldn't be more clear about it, and still... How it just goes on and on... :D

It's truly no wonder why so many big game devs feel the need to dumb things down so much for mainstream appeal. If even this trips some people up... And a games journalist no less.

4 years ago*

I will not tolerate obstructions to John Wick.

4 years ago

I'm glad they got the guy from Fortnite to be in this game.

4 years ago

I read this article yesterday and it annoyed the shit out of me. Glad I wasn't the only one :)

4 years ago

We live in a great time in history and people like them prove that they live at the lap of luxury as well. To have no problems so you make up new ones is indicative of a life where you're not challenged and where you're not satisfied. They want drama. Whether for clicks or for personal satisfaction. Odds are it's personal satisfaction though with clicks being a good side-effect.

I'm not saying that you can't talk about other problems, but this is a non-issue. Not because it's about video game racism or whatever else. Mainly because you need to really read into this a lot to start making these conclusions and a fact is you can read into anything a lot.
If I started reading into this a lot, I could easily say: "This is written by a white guy, who thinks black people are so weak that they can't stand up for themselves. Most likely he thinks that black people are lesser." or something ridiculous like that. But the fact is that there's no real problem and he's most likely doing it from a place of sincerity. Just that sincerity isn't enough when accusing people of something as bad as that.

Plus, this is some pretentious stuff right there.

4 years ago

i'm a gamer since 30 years and i never heard of RPS, until they have appeared in the news section, in most games in my steam library. I give nothing about their opinions.

4 years ago

I’m also increasingly concerned about Cyberpunk’s handling of non-white cultures... I asked Tomaszkiewicz if he was concerned they weren’t treating certain cultures with enough respect

This is what it's really about, isn't it? More political bullshit and personal agendas from those so-called "journalists". Why am I not surprised?

4 years ago

Yelling around like a jackass can be funny to read now and again, but somehow, this gets passed off as actual journalism. People just eat this stuff up, too, like there's any kind of shortage of melodrama in the world; these guys shouldn't keep getting work. This is why I mostly use reviews by actual video game players the really negative ones are usually very descriptive, and even if I don't agree with any of it, I still have a lot of details to form my own opinion. If I'm still not sure, I look up some gameplay footage, and if there's a free demo, that's better yet.

4 years ago

The RPS review of Kingdom Come: Deliverance featured a bizarre argument about his disappointment in the relative lack of "diversity" featured in 15th Bohemia and the patriarchal nature of the society portrayed despite the reviewer acknowledging that he didn't actually know all that much about 15th century Bohemia.

A commitment to historical accuracy meant nothing to a middle-class white English man judging a Czech studio for producing a game based on Czech history and Czech culture.

And that was when I stopped reading RPS.

When someone has to insert their own political agenda into a review of a game, and that political agenda is not only tinged by hypocrisy but also by self-acknowledged ignorance, then such a review loses any credibility.

4 years ago

Nicely put. It hurts reading about that review for Kingdom Come, but it hurts even more that such things aren't at all surprising anymore. These sites 100% rely on stirring up outrage--despise their oh so frequent criticism of the larger gaming audience for that exact thing. That "angry gamer rage" they so often lambaste, and the community's overall toxic nature, is the exact thing these sites have helped create. They're the ones who created all this reactionary bullshit, and they're the ones who continue to feed into it (while also moral brigading). See this thread just now.

They've only just recently started having such a political focus, because I guess they realized that's what riles people up the most nowadays. That's the new fresh source of cheaply manufactured "hot takes".

4 years ago*

Sadly, gaming churnalism these days (in the mainstream gaming media) amounts to little more than apologism/fawning over devs or increasingly desperate, increasingly more bizarre offence finding.

That the guy reviewing Kingdom Come knew nothing about 15th Century Bohemia, nor was he Czech, and he even worked for a company where all the writers are white mattered not. It was the propensity to find offence, however bizarre or hypocritical, that was key.

4 years ago

Checks the staff at RPS. 100% white.........

It's a shame RPS aren't concerned enough about their own handling of non-white cultures to hire someone who isn't white - even more so when you consider it's based just outside London, one of the most ethnically diverse cities in the world.

4 years ago*

I think that's why it's based outside of London, and not in London itself ;)

4 years ago

Perhaps, Essex by most metrics is one of the most right-wing parts of the UK.

4 years ago

That's VERY common now for whites to um "hold the torch" as it was? To "fight the fight" even when they have no reason to.... basically to show "Hey, I'm not racist!" and it's fucking bullshit cause it's to vein!

4 years ago

Sadly, yes and here the reviewer was not only a) stating his ignorance but also b) effectively disappropriating someone of their own culture and history.

4 years ago

happy cake day, i mean the game is still long way away, i tought they were going to dumb down the bitcher 3, but it turned out great, so we'll see.

4 years ago

Happy cake factory day.

It sounds like an even better game than I expected! :D

4 years ago

Seems like i'm just lucky about RPS on facebook, because wow, you guys quote some serious bullshit things from them. I see their posts about unique top lists, pretty cool articles that approach a topic through a game, and none of these "makes game X more to my taste" things. Maybe they use social media differently, or I just don't care about their reviews of new games so I dodge this, but I entirely have/had a different experience with them.
( Many of the mentioned topics are important, but it's really sad how they want to shoehorn these into games that sometimes aren't even legit plaforms for these. And even more sad how they judge a whole, likely 100-200 hour long, rich RPG's "stance" on things based on a demo)

4 years ago

Happy Cakeday!
Its just a clickbait article as you mentioned with contentious comments. This game might not be 10/10 for Gamespot like Witcher 3 but adding Keanu Reeves into the game with so much discretion just brings the hype level onto another level by itself. That moment won over E3 for me and also won the hype for games releasing next year.

I am never a sci-fi fan but CP 2077 gets me excited on what level will CDPR achieve next. With their excellent writing, the game seems to have alot of lore to uncover. Cheers~

4 years ago

Isn't a gang usually by its very nature a non-diverse group? Usually there is a common characteristic holding the gang together, be it religion, descent, cultural heritage.... lol @RPS!! :-)))))) :PPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

4 years ago

Happy cakeday

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/06/14/cyberpunk-2077s-in-game-context-doesnt-matter-if-its-marketing-contributes-to-transphobia-right-now/

A partI want to quote:

The poster could work as part of a nuanced and critical bit of world building, if it’s used in conjunction with a story willing to directly engage with the issue. Nothing shown so far even hints that this content exists in Cyberpunk 2077, and I doubt the game is going to make a significant detour to discuss and explore issues surrounding queer bodies.

Could work, if it's used, so far, and I doubt.
Perfect approach to fan the flames about a poster on a screenshot for an unreleased game, and already condemning it on the base of "you won't do anything and I already know it"

khm
bump

4 years ago

As soon as I saw this image I remembered your comment. Who gives a shit about the context lol, every single CDPR dev should be fired and considered unemployable for life. Bonus points for doxxing.

View attached image.
4 years ago

So you're taking ONE opinion that might be VERY skewed as FACT?
Oh you poor soul.

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 months ago.

4 years ago

Heh they locked the comments down. What is up with every gaming site having these awful type of "journalists"?

4 years ago

I would have more fun if you hadn't posted woke snowflakes insanities. RPS can get woke go broke imo. I hope they'll start to learn to code soon!

4 years ago

If anyone wants to see what Mike Pondsmith thinks of all the comments from people in relation to Cyberpunk 2077:

https://www.reddit.com/user/therealmaxmike/

Want to say this just once. I am really tired of well meaning people on internet chat boards paternalistically telling me what I, as a black person, should be offended by. You want to be my ally? Go gird up your loins and at this year's Thanksgiving dinner, have the nerve to tell your racist Uncle Bob to STFU for a change.

If I wasn't heavily involved, I would be able to get more done. As it is, I barely have a life.

As for the Animals--the WHOLE FREAKING POINT is that they think of themselves as POWERFUL, DANGEROUS, WILD ANIMALS. You'd have thought the Lady named "Sasquatch" would have given them a clue.

The original Voodoo Boys were a scathing commentary on cultural appropriation. I LOVE the idea that real practicioners of Voudon moved in and took back their turf. And they even got the Creole right!

Who the (bleep) do YOU think you are to tell ME whether or not MY creation was done right or not?

4 years ago

TL;DR?

For those people, like me, who don't know who that guy is? 😎

4 years ago

He created the original Cyberpunk 2020 (pen and paper) role-playing game that Cyberpunk 2077 is based on (or a sequel to, I'm not sure) – and I believe he is pretty involved behind the scenes of Cyberpunk 2077 as well.

4 years ago

Ah, thank you. Makes sense now. 😊

4 years ago

The main problem with Cyberpunk 2077 is it's trying to cater to specific people. When you do that, you offend a lot more people. Just be a game. No matter what you do, it will offend someone.

4 years ago

Anita with her classic shakedown move.
I love how the third chained tweet is just a link to her paid consulting services.

View attached image.
View attached image.
4 years ago

oh dear

4 years ago

Why? She doesn't know a bit of videogames, why people still uprise her?

4 years ago

Can't image how Anthem would turn out without her expertise

4 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.