RTX 2060 or GTX 1070 Ti?
I want to upgrade my pc, but I have many doubts in gpu. In your opinion, what would be a more suitable choice for 1080p Ultra 60fps? why?

EDIT:
Where I live the price of 1070ti is greater than that of rtx 2060.
And the price of 1080 is similar to that of rtx 2070.
The 1080ti is almost twice as big as a rtx 2080.
The gtx 10XX generation is scarce in stores and we dont have many options

5 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

When the subject is long term, what is your choice?

View Results
GTX 1070 Ti
RTX 2060

If they are the same price where you live, I'd recommend the 1070 Ti for its extra vram.

The only advantage the 2060 has is the RTX cores, but nothing supports them atp. Even when games do start taking advantage of them the 2060 is using the very first generation of the tech and likely not up to the task for anything beyond medium settings. DLSS is supposedly nice though for the games that support it.

5 years ago*

That's not entirely true, there's another big benefit with the 20 series cards other than the RTX cores. The cards have a much improved video encoder chip on them as well, which allows for really good quality unlike the previous generation that just looked awful. At least it was awful when you tried to used them at bitrates where you normally would do things like livestream (5-10mbit/s).

They also changed the encoder in OBS to allow the program to use the VRAM instead of the regular system memory like before. Since the 20 series cards has significantly faster memory than the old generation, that gives a huge boost to performance as well. Livestreaming/recording basically has no impact on the game any more (1-1.5% CPU usage tops).

5 years ago

2060 . same performance as 1070Ti. 6GB enough for fullHD. and you recieve RTX for some future games and tensor cores for DLSS, that shows better perfomance then old methods of anti-aliasing

5 years ago

Unless you need to buy card right away (old one is dead) I would wait for more information about 11XX series (which is the 20XX cards without Ray Tracing modules/abilities), as they might be in same prices as current 10XX series but with more power (or they might be the final nail to the 10XX prices).

5 years ago

This is good advice.
If the rumors prove true, the GTX11xx series will be basically the RTX20xx series minus the raytracing, and at lower prices. Might be worth it to skip the first generation of the new tech, if the price difference is large enough.

5 years ago

At this point there is no guarantee that such a series will be released in the near future. It was rumored to be released mid-January, but there wasn't even an official statement that it even exists.

5 years ago

The cheapest.

5 years ago

same price here

5 years ago

2060 if you're a budget gamer. Smaller power bill, more features to make it future proof (mainly talking of raytracing) and from what I can see, better performance for some games, though it also falls back on some others.

1070Ti has overall slightly better performance for specific things. Also, the extra VRAM. Though, in the end, I'd go for the 2060 variant.
The 50% markup in price just isn't worth it for the 2GB of extra VRAM.

5 years ago

Mind that raytracing is not a feature that's "parallel" to the card performance - its not like it has no additional processing cost.
If you're getting 120fps in some game on 1070 and 125fps on 2060, when you turn your RayTracing on you'll see that you're no longer getting 125fps but 50... Is it worth it? I don't think so.

While I love the idea of RayTracing and see it as revolutionary thing that will change quality of games in future I believe that it's not the right time to buy a card with it. They're not powerful enough yet.
Unless they cost the same, then go for it. 5 fps more is still 5 free fps more.

5 years ago*

Mind that raytracing is not a feature that's "parallel" to the card performance - its not like it has no additional processing cost.

No one claimed it was. I said it's got extra features. Raytracing is an extra option that you can choose if you want. The fact here is that 1070Ti doesn't have it while the 2060 does have it.

If you're getting 120fps in some game on 1070 and 125fps on 2060, when you turn your RayTracing on you'll see that you're no longer getting 125fps but 50... Is it worth it? I don't think so.

Well, fair enough, but you're not him. Again, it's an optional feature, not a forced add-on that'll kill your games. Plus, many people will also go for visual fidelity over the framerate, as long as it's over 30fps. Plus, you're talking of RayTracing as a set-in-stone feature that can never be improved upon. It's inefficient in my opinion as well, of course. But you're really quick to just dismiss new tech that you have available.

While I love the idea of RayTracing and see it as revolutionary thing that will change quality of games in future I believe that it's not the right time to buy a card with it. They're not powerful enough yet.

Funny how you claim that it's revolutionary even, however, you dismiss the idea that software can also improve over time. This isn't lining up at all and genuinely sounds like the talking points of the anti RTX rhetoric that goes around.

Let's see, pay 50% more to get a less power-efficient card, which has less features, performs worse half the time and if it does do better, it's only marginal (a.k.a. around 5-10%), with the only real benefit being 8GB of VRAM, which is nowhere near the necessary amount, considering that the games that actually require that much VRAM (mostly 4K high fidelity games) will take the game below 60fps at best with the GPU barely chugging along.
As a person who seems to prioritize framerates over graphical fidelity, please explain how the 1070Ti is a better purchase for him? Because everything currently points at the 1070Ti being in the spot of having the necessary stats for the highest end gaming possible with its VRAM, while also being too weak to actually properly handle itself when it has to use all of its resources.

Maybe I'm missing something here.

5 years ago

I've just reminded about RT because I've seen numerous people forgetting about the performance cost while deciding to get RTX card, only to cry later on forums about scams or something about how NVIDIA tried to cashgrab with a sham feature to artificially increase cost of the card.
Most of the time people think that they'll be able to run newest games on optimal framerate AND use RT feature at the same time without sacrificing anything.
Also I wasn't targeting my message directly to you, I just wanted to extend the topic you mentioned.

I believe that RayTracing is revolutionary because, trust me or not, quality of graphics in games is determined solely by the lighting engine - light contributes to more than 90% to said "graphics quality". No matter how good are your textures, no matter how detailed are your models game will look like unrealistic, flat and "digital" shit if your lighting is bad.

As for software - of course it may improve a bit. But mind that as of now games use only a tiny little bit of RTX feature. If light in total contributes to 90% of game graphics then RT contributes to maybe 5-8% of total light contribution, at most - its only a feature. Everything in the game is still produced with the original paradigm and yet, the performance impact is still too great. In the perfect situation that would allow us to achieve the most realistic and convincing environments we would have to use RT as a core, tightly tied to the rendering engine and as you may guess, will not happen soon and our current cards will not be able to deal with anyway.

As for recommending cards to get, I have not pointed any that would be a better choice, more so I've said that if the price is the same it would be wiser to get card with "5 more fps".

5 years ago

I actually agree with both of you to a point.

I think Ray Tracing will become a necessity in the future, with every game at least supporting it. Similar to Antialiasing today. But this will only happen when it's impact on the performance will become 33% or lower (for example: 45FPS w/o RT, 30FPS w/ RT). Which is roughly how Anitaliasing became as popular as it is today. But I have to agree it will take 2-3 card generations (at leasr) until we reach that point. Including software improvements.

5 years ago

of those two 2060
It performs the same in gaming as the 1070 ti. And in most places it is cheaper.
+RTX if you ever play games that support it as well as DLSS.

It is a no brainer really.

5 years ago

I am myself going for 2060 (have same dillemma as you) - performance is comparable (and for Full HD it is in favor of 2060), 2060 is cheaper (at least in my country) and I guess 8 gigs of VRAM is not going to become a minimum requirement any time soon. But it ofc depends on what you really want, If I had monitor with higher resolution or higher refresh rate I'd be looking at different benchmarks compared with waht I look at now ;p In your case Full HD 60MHz 2060 is overall better (not by much, depends on a title, but majority in favor of 2060) for lower price, so it's a no-brainer ;p

5 years ago

in my case, the price is the same, so the dilemma

5 years ago

If price is the same i see no reason to pick the worse option. Even if you're not going to use RT feature, 2060 is still a slightly better card.

5 years ago

However I would recommend you to wait a bit and see what kind of middle-ground GPU based on Navi AMD will show us in a few months.

5 years ago

I would not, same thing was being said about Vega with all the hype and look how that turned out. There's always something better "coming soon". Months is too long for a maybe. Just get the best within budget now.

5 years ago

It's not about "something better" but something that is not priced like being made from pure gold and being just slightly faster.

5 years ago

This is the 2060 we're talking about not the 2080ti. At best I'd say wait a couple of weeks to see if the rumored 1660 comes out and if it's really just 2060 without the RTX which would definitely position it even better.

5 years ago

for the same price I would pick the 2060

5 years ago

Personally, I'd go with the 2060. If the price and performance are comparable, I'd much rather go with the newer product. Even if Ray Tracing dies completely and you never ever use it, you'll still have the Turing architecture (instead of Pascal) as well as have better driver support for a longer time. If you can wait to upgrade however, it might be more worth it to see what the rumored non RTX series performance looks like.

5 years ago

Whatever is cheaper if you can't wait to see what AMD comes out with.

5 years ago

with my vote its 50% - 50% lol

5 years ago

The 2060. Cheaper than the 1070Ti, about the same performance, and has RTX (You may never use/care about raytracing, but the DLSS is looking good)

5 years ago

Whichever one is cheaper for a model with a good, quiet cooler. Performance is pretty equal, and both will be more than fast enough for 1080p, so go with the cheapest good card you can get. I'm personally a fan of MSI Gaming X, Asus Strix, Gigabyte Aorus, and EVGA coolers - they're the quietest. Go with whichever of those cards you can find for the least amount of money.

5 years ago

Since you'd be paying the same price, the 1070 Ti is a very decent option, at this time it's kind of hard to tell how much the "RTX" feature set is worth in practice, and without dedicated support, it may as well not be there.

Personally, I'd probably still go with the RTX 2060 but that's just me.

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

5 years ago

Whichever has more VRAM. You will not use the ray tracing gimmick anyway.
There is a persistent rumour about Nvidia accepting that the R-series is so far barely more than a long-distance proof of concept and that they will release the 2000-series with ray tracing removed as a 1100 series. However, it may remain a rumour.

5 years ago

Maybe used GTX1080 will be better option?

5 years ago

I had the same dilemma, and bought 1070TI, 3 days ago :)

5 years ago

wait a bit until the gtx 1170 comes out then decide

5 years ago

Hello,

I have recently looked into upgrading my GTX 970 to something better and am also looking at 1070ti VS RTX 2060 and found that the RTX simply is not worth it. In my country the 2060 costs 450-480€ while used 1070ti go for 300€. Far as I have seen the performance between the two cards is fairly similar and I couldn't care less about ray tracing so buying the cheaper product is the way to go.

IMO if you find a good used 1070Ti go for it without a second thought.

5 years ago

it think its better to wait, its not a good time to upgrade your gpu. i own a gtx 970 and i am gaming at 1440p with a lot of visual sacrifices. i am waiting for amd's next big thing to decide.

5 years ago

Neither. Buying previous generation is never worth it in the long-run (applies to both GPUs and CPUs), while 20xx series is a huge prototype of a technology that nobody is ready for, where marketing is making up for 75% of its price.

Wait for the next generation, maybe 11xx, maybe 21xx, regardless which one it'll be, it's still going to be better than whatever you're deciding between right now, and likely much cheaper.

If you can't wait, out of those two you should still go with 2060, even if I consider whole RT to be a huge overpriced crap that will be worth the money after 2-3 next generations, and buying it right now makes absolutely no sense.

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

I use a GT 630M kkk

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

Went from 960 w/2GB RAM (which was struggling with just about everything except for xbox360 ports) to 2060 and it feels like a whole new PC. Games that were behaving problematic (Forza Horizon 4 ô_ô) or simply missing lots of expected graphical finesse are never taxing the new GPU above (3/4´s of) it´s limit´s on ultra settings now, which is reassuring to say the least.

Biggest surprise being Battlefront 2 which already looked spectacular on the old GFX card! Not much gain there.

5 years ago

I mean you'd feel the same if you'd take a 1070 which has a lot more power and 4 times the vram than a 960.

5 years ago

With the juicy 1070 models being barely 80 quid cheaper than the 2060 i felt that bying a previous generation card was´nt worth it.
The 1160 was´nt announced yet and my patience really ran out, also i had to have a go before cc-miners would flock in to empty the stocks again .... decisions, decisions.

5 years ago

I'm looking at the 2060 and it costs 480€ new (Asus Strix) while Asus strix 1070Ti second hand cost 300-350€. Same performance but 130-180€ in price difference. Not sure what kind of situation is in your place but in mine I can't see the 2060 being a good price/performance option.

the 1160 is rumored to be about as good as a 1070 but at 250-300$ MSRP

5 years ago

The poll is ridiculous, the 2060 is the clear choice, the extra Vram isn't helping 1070ti to pull ahead in anything, they perform the same and 2060 has DLSS support (much more important than RTX) and is even cheaper.

5 years ago

Unless if you go for used 1070Ti's which are about 150€ (170$ish) cheaper.

5 years ago

I never recommend buying used electronics if you have the option of buying new, you never know how much gas it has left in the tank.

5 years ago

Google bathtub curve.

Also if the 1070ti second hand and 2060 new had the same price I'd say get the new 2060 but 1070ti used is 30% cheaper than a 2060 giving same performance. For 150€ you can buy something else for the PC

5 years ago

I've had 4 GPUs, only 1 survived past its warranty. Never cheap out on the graphics card if you can afford new.

5 years ago

I don't have much knowledge about all pc parts and I usually check sites that compare one against another. Maybe you've already found it, but check this comparison between the two.

5 years ago

I already used this site, I'm researching the weeks about it and I still dont know hahaha, but this discussion is helping a lot

5 years ago

I discussed the matter with someone with a little more knowledge about it, and he recommended the 1070Ti. Pricewise it seems better as you're not overpaying for a feature that likely won't be used, and you might be able to find the 1070Ti for cheap second hand. On paper, the performance of both seems about the same so I guess it would really be a matter of price.

Are you only considering one of these two? It might be worth to take a look at what AMD has. I swapped out the 1070Ti in my future build (so nothing bought yet, only on paper for now) for a Vega 56 as it was similar performance-wise but cheaper here.

5 years ago

where I live, I got a titanium msi gtx 1070 in sale (it is more expensive) for the same price of a gigabyte rtx 2060 OC, so I am in doubt. I can return it and buy this rtx 2060. Vega 56 is the same price as the 1070ti without promotion.

5 years ago

You can find a used 1080 for the same price of a 2060.
I paid mine 420€ in october on amazon.fr (I'm from Italy, so I still get amazon.fr shippings in a week or so) and saw plenty for less than 400€ in the following months.
I don't know how the prices are in Brazil, but they must be very comparable.
If you are willing to get a 1070 Ti, I'd say go full 1080, you should find it for the same price or for $20-30 more.

And I know a lot of people don't agree with the idea of used electronics, but graphics cards last a long time and I'd definitely rather buy a used one for such a convenient price.
Then again, don't trust strangers on the internet and don't let a poll decide. Make your own researches and find your own preference.

5 years ago

Also consider timings: 2060 just came out and you're going to find overpriced listings.
Previous generation cards are definitely more willing to have good deals.

5 years ago

where I live the price of 1070ti is greater than that of rtx 2060.
and the price of 1080 is similar to that of rtx 2070.
the 1080ti is almost twice as big as a Rtx 2080.

5 years ago

Closed 4 years ago by SirMustachio.