Analogically to the 2022 Steam Awards thread, what were your biggest letdowns in video games in 2022?

I'll start:

1. Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade
Granted, I only collected 42 out of the 63 available achievements, but I only "had" to spend about 28 hours to finish both the main game as well as the Yuffie bonus content. Asking 80 bucks for such a short game is a no-go. Considering that Squareenix will ask another 160 bucks for the remaining two games in the planned trilogy, I'm kinda mad. So this one definitely takes the cake.

2. Oddworld: Soulstorm Enhanced Edition
Holy crap. I thought "Well, after Epic's exclusivity ends, they'll at least release the game in a playable state on Steam, right?" Nope. Not at all. Game performed like the unoptimized piece of trash it is and still does. Even with my now updated PC (12700, 3070) it runs like garbo.

3. Saint's Row 3 Remastered
They actually didn't add anything new. Or maybe I just didn't notice? At least they made sure the old feel is still there by still including all the old bugs, I guess? lol. And asking 40 bucks for this is just an audacity.

Which are yours?

Of course there is a GA

1 year ago

Comment has been collapsed.

In all seriousness, I can't think of a single game I've played that was first released in 2022. It's possible I played through some low budget indie asset flip games for the achievements but beyond that I can't think of anything.

I played Sands of Destruction and was disappointed by it but that game was released in 2010 or so.

1 year ago

Oh, you are indeed correct. I should've specified that I am explicitly asking for 2022 Steam releases.

1 year ago

I wasn’t expecting a lot but I was still let down by New Tales from the Borderlands.

1 year ago

I'm not sure if I can say ''I'm disappointed'' or not since I didn't try that game yet and I don't want to judge only based on reviews on Steam, but.. I was looking forward to seeing great reviews on Overlord: Escape from Nazarick when it came out, but they were mostly negative. Most of them said something like "wait for updates, many bugs, short game" so I decided to wait a bit and see how it'll turn out. Seems like the devs updated the game quite a bit, so maybe in the end it won't be a disappointment?^^

1 year ago

Disappointment might be a strong word, but for me is Slime Rancher 2. I am a big fan of the first game, but it feels like the second didnt innovate that much, and the area from the first game feels more rich with different biomes. They are still updating it though, but I feel that it should have been available with more new stuff right from the start (Not to mention that automated helper bots are still not available, and they were such a great help in the first one).

1 year ago

I haven't bought any game that released this year that disappointed me. So I'm happy about that.

1 year ago

in general, lazy and/or incompetent and/or scummy developers, or those who most likely never played a single game, yet decided to make one without any basic functionality. but this is all year every year because most of them fall into at least one category.

2022 is the most disappointing year in gaming in a long time, very few outstanding or memorable (in a good way) releases, but for actual titles, the godkiller chapter 1 was a huge letdown (from the original developer of drod, the greatest puzzle game series of all time), and darkside detective 2 was also disappointing after the fantastic first game.

1 year ago

The problem is that the game is now published in "GA".
I had the same problem with the demo version....

*add memo
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1337760/view/3461607697330717685
It says it was fixed two days ago, but no one is going to verify it anymore...🙄

There is a glitch where the game is displayed in the language of the country you are playing in only the first time you start the game, and when you start the game for the second time in the language of the country you are playing in, the game does not start.
😟
The game company keeps saying they will fix it in the future and to this day it has not been fixed.

I think there are a lot of poorly made games like this last year and this year.
(I don't remember the titles because it's too uncomfortable to remember the names)
And please don't banish to the moon those who make degrading garbage called remakes. Let's build a space prison at Lagrange Point.🚀 🌕 🛰<Hello!

1 year ago*

does a free game count? mine would be Gundam Evolution, didn't expect much because its developed & published by bandai namco. the game have gacha with duplicate, if enemy have more than one melee unit start praying they are bad with it (only one melee unit is available for free, the rest are behind paywall), theres a bug where you get disconnected after every match (idk if its fixed yet, but happen to a friend for 2 weeks that make them uninstall the game)

1 year ago

Norco is definitely not the worst game I played this year, but it was the biggest disappointment. During the first half of the game I kinda though it was a full-scale masterpiece and a worthy successor to Kentucky Route Zero, the story, the characters, the setting, the visuals - everything looked and felt outstanding. And then the magic disappeared, and the game turned into a boring and superficial story about a random cult. It's not a bad game at all, it's just a shame that it could have become something wonderful, but didn't.

1 year ago

Oh, sad to read. Having my eye on Norco. What made the magic disappear? What changed?

1 year ago

Hey! Sorry for the late answer, I actually took some time to try to think through and formulate why the game had disappointed me so much - and still found myself lost for words. The second part of the game is still solid point-and-clicking fun, the visuals and music are still amazing, and everything is still beautifully surreal, but the story just didn't click with me. It felt too straightforward and, well, superficial compared with what I'd expected (can't really say more without going into spoilers).
The game is definitely still worth playing though, and there's a high chance that you'll disagree with me, the majority apparently does.

1 year ago*

"superficial"

That's exactly the word I'd use to describe it as well. I played a few hours and it was just a slog. It was a bit too detached from a world I could imagine (sci-fi or otherwise), and any real emotional involvement.

1 year ago

The stupid anticheat in Elden Ring preventing me from playing online.

But at least I don't have the freezes and slowdowns it's causing with my hacked exe :3

1 year ago

Saints Row, the reboot.

I enjoyed SR3 and SR4, and was looking forward to this one. I watched some reviews and gameplays, and it looks horrible. A reskinned, buggy Saints Row 3 with far inferior plot and characters.

And now Volition, the devs of the SR series, were moved away from it. So we're probably not going to see that promised Saints Row 2 patch as well.

1 year ago*

+1

1 year ago

+2

1 year ago

Granted i don't own FFVII Intergrade on PC, i own the game on PS4 and must say it is heavily overrated. The original is much better. Not even discussing the price point on PC, which frankly is ridiculously overpriced.

1 year ago

Here's my review of Lost Ark.
https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198076463899/recommended/1599340?snr=1_5_9__402
The botters have it all worked out. Do you remember that Storm Area 51 event? They can't stop all of us, was their motto. For every bot account that gets *temporarily put on leave, a thousand more take its place. Nothing beats sitting back with a cold one and joining the collective hive mind.
Most people have lives and there are better more interesting things you can do with your time. Like watching paint dry or getting addicted to drugs. Eventually the paint will have dried and the drugs would have worn off while in rehab. Unlike this game that never allows you to stop grinding and will take every opportunity to remind you to throw money at it.
If anyone ever asks me if there is anything in my life that I regret doing. I regret starting this game. I put in way too many hours and have barely scratched the surface. I accomplished nothing. When I decided to uninstall, it was like a great weight had lifted and I was finally free.

1 year ago*

It's pronounced Squeenix

1 year ago

For me it's Bannerlord. I wouldn't mind waiting a couple more years but they released it from early access which obviously isn't a final product. Hope they would at least continue development.

1 year ago

The main disappointment is that I can't buy games 😢
I would like to spend my money and buy a few games that have been on my wishlist for a long time, but I just can't.. 🌧

View attached image.
1 year ago

Shameless self-bump

1 year ago

Hm... Any disappointments in 2022 ? Eiyuden Chronicles: Rising... ? :D Well, no, this one wasn't terrible enough, just fine looking but bland.
(And Hopefully the real Eiyuden Chronicles game will be released next next year.)

No, this year's bad news, was about Insatia.
(An arena game where you control some fancy chitinous worms. Nicely done.)

Sadly, this cool project seems to be dead, and I only notice this because the release date notice was literally deleted, and there was no real news since a long time.

(Well, the steam page is still there, by now.
I don't even know if the demo is still up to date on Itch io.)

1 year ago

Rimworld. Coincidentally my most expensive game ever. I had fun maybe for 4-5 hours, and then it became somewhat grindy, with really slow progress. I was hoping it would satisfy my Terraria/Starbound/Factorio itch. It was nowhere near. Coupled with $34.99 price tag - not worth it... I feel it should be priced $9.99 like Terraria or Don't Starve, to accurately reflect its value.

Of course, my opinion might be subjective :)

1 year ago

Biggest disappointment? Well I only have one and it is Warzone 2.0. I feel like a lot of people will argue this one, but I'll take it from a personal standpoint.
a) The game feels like the original Warzone, I don't really see a difference besides user interfaces, and talking about that, it feels VERY cluttered, so many options that can be easily hidden in something like b) a drop-down menu. Like c'mon, you did it back in 2009 and now it's impossible?
c)The game is poorly optimized, rendering the shaders already takes a awful amount of time, which is on a system that is well past the CPU req, meets RAM req and has a GPU in between the minimum and recommended specifications (a GTX 1650, only saying in between since it's a laptop version, which are usually a bit worse than their desktop counterparts, also heavily restricted by cooling). It doesn't depend on the driver version you're using, it's usually the same results.
d)The map elements can be taken into question, some people reported serious clipping issues and even launchpad-like effects (getting launched into one direction violently)
The real deal (MW2) only redeems itself because of the campaign.

1 year ago

Well, I actually have only played one game from 2022 and it was Retrowave and it sucked so, and even though I had no expectations about it really, it was still disappointing.

1 year ago

Stadia.

Loved the service. Worked great, played through quite a few games on it. Cyberpunk 2077 and RDR2 running on... basically just my monitor (via Chromecast). No fan noises, no downloads, insignificant startup times. And a surprisingly comfortable controller with a screenshot button built right in. But...

IMHO, it's about half and half the tribalistic nature of the gaming community and Google to blame for its death. Gamer community was irrationally against it from the start, never giving it a chance. Google appeared to have no real interest in it either after the first three months, and didn't know what they were doing beyond creating the great tech. Marketing was awful, long-term investment was not well thought out, and just when they were on a high point with it being the preferred platform for playing a relatively stable debut of Cyberpunk, Phil Harrison decides to shut down the first party development studio, which means everyone who's not already familiar with Stadia (...with no significant marketing...) hears that as Stadia being shut down. The community never gave it a chance, but neither did corporate.

1 year ago

V Rising
Get it for free from Lootboy, as fan of hack'n'slash, was really interested into this one, and not liked, really too much slow progress, and too much survival / PvP, also don't like the fact to be always connected, even in offline mode ...

1 year ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

1 year ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.