So, after doing some minimal research, I found out that in the timeframe of one week starting from the oldest of these bundles, roughly 11 released. That's an average of 4-5 game per bundle, counting them with having the BTA and non-BTA amount of games in mind. Actually might be a bit more than that too; I didn't do the math though, and there's no need to. My point is, I find this alarming, since even if you buy only ONE of these every week, you'll get that average 4-5 games for yourself, and there's no way in hell you're completing that many within a week, unless you're completely at home for that week because of sickness or something.

It also reminds me of that rather ugly crash in the '80s. The market was oversaturated with games that rarely offered something new from what has been released up until that point, and even more rarely did they offer actual good quality. Quality ain't a problem here and I don't think it ever will be, but the oversaturating bit? Oh boy...

I love the indie game industry. It pulled me out of the nice but rather droll and lifeless world of Xbox 360 games (exceptions apply though), and I have found an insane amount of new favourites within even a year, let alone the last 3 years. But this time, I'm worried about it a little bit. Low-cost bundles don't earn a lot for gamedevs, even if the majority of the income goes to one developer (hey, check out Prince Caspian's posts in the thread about the Puppygames weekly sale to get an idea, and that's freaking Humble, the most successful of all of these sales); and gamers get discouraged to play the vast majority of their stuff thanks to their backlog. I know I had that reaction at least. I have been a happy buyer so far, picking up most of the good offers, but I find myself rarely if ever playing the games themselves. Collecting stuff is one thing, but if I don't intend on doing that (which I really don't intend to do), what's the point of getting them? I'll refrain from buying these unless I want to play some of the games right away. Otherwise, it's cheaper to buy the games on a single individual sale, than overall getting all the bundles out there.

What do you think of this? Is this a real and threatening thing, or am I just over-worrying this whole thing?

As a fun thing, here's a list of what bundles I counted for those 11 released ones; maybe not the most accurate thing and I really didn't do the math, but I don't think it matters:

This is all not even counting Indiegamestand and quite possibly some other obscure bundles.

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Guess what? Another bundle. And a very, um, unique one.

1 decade ago

The market does seem oversaturated with bundles lately, I agree. However, you are probably overthinking the issue a little. The bundle scene isn't large enough to really do much of anything if it becomes oversaturated and collapses. That would just crash the bundle scene, and that's about it.

And, while the thing of "indie games becoming too cheap to pay for development because they can only sell in bundles" could be a worrisome future development, people's patience for sifting through hordes of me-too bundle sales would tend to break first.

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by TheGreenFairy.