I had a thread earlier that I was building my girl a new mid range PC because her old HP died. But I closed it because I was sure I had finalized what I was building. However after some discussion with some friends, they are telling me to get an ATI which I don't know much about really over an EVGA nVidea card. Now I have been buying EVGA and nVidea for years, so I trust them, but I am not super up to date on who is better then who.

So I have been looking around, browsing and have come to the conclusion. I have no idea what I am even looking at when it comes to ATI. My last ATI card was years ago and it was a HD 4670 and I bought it because it was on sale and would work on my 250w stock Dell P4 at the time.

The two I am currently comparing are:

EVGA GTX 650Ti Boost
Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850

But if there is a better option for under $190 bucks (the rest of the budget) I am all for it. Noting I want facts, not "well I use this card so it is best."

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

People should really use google when wondering questions like these. All you will get is fanboys supporting their choice for the brand and fanboy haters pointing out that those are fanboys, ending up with no conclusion.

Just google "card name vs card name", as such.

I can tell you that Gigabyte and Sapphire are the most respected brands, when it comes to AMD. Also, yes, it's AMD Radeon now, not ATI. It's been so for quite a while now and their quality has improved since.

Finally, the 650 Ti Boost was released when AMD released HD 7790, as nvidia had left a large budget gap. I don't believe it's quite as powerful as the HD 7850. However when I quickly checked GTX 660 vs HD 7850, 660 seemed to have better performance. Note that will vary on how it has been altered (overclocking, fans, cooling etc.)

1 decade ago

Actually that clicky helped. I am not a very good searcher I was using "ati radeon hd 7850 vs gtx 650 ti" and it was getting me nowhere lol. Possible because it is not ATI anymore...

1 decade ago

One letter shouldn't bring much trouble. Well, I'd stay on the tom's hardware links, people over there usually know their stuff, and provide sources for information.

1 decade ago

The first result, gpuboss has resulted on a new site for me, but it's pretty neat.

1 decade ago

I told you that in your thread and you ignored everything I said, then closed it. Asus, MSI, Sapphire, and Gigabyte make the best AMD cards, in my opinion. There isn't an order, but they are all nice.

Really, any of those brands off Newegg would be fine. I also linked you this chart earlier. It is accurate. You can see the tiers of cards and decide for yourself. I'd get an AMD card and the games, personally.

1 decade ago

I know you did (and I didn't ignore you I just closed it prematurely, it was actually how I got the 7850 I have up there.) Now I am asking other opinions. I am not some super graphics card person. I have always stuck with the same brand, I don't know any better mmaaaaaaaannnn. Before my 560ti I had a GTX 460, before that was some other EVGA.

The thing is, I don't play a crap ton of games (Steam can confirm this.) And when I see charts and benchmarks I have no clue what they mean nor do I care. I just want to make sure I am getting the most for my girl, in the under $200 range, and me only using EVGA have no knowledge of this scary and foreign ATI world

EDIT: I really suck at spelling.

1 decade ago

AMD and Nvidia cards are roughly equal these days. AMD perform a little better, but Nvidia cards have Physx and tend to have less issues right off with games. That gets solved quickly, though. AMD cards are cheaper, plus you get the games with it. In my honest opinion, these days, it is pretty close to being a no-brainer. Some people still go Nvidia and they certainly won't end up with a bad product, but AMD is the way to go, in my opinion.

Also that chart just orders them by how good they actually are. The higher they are up, the better the card is supposed to be.

1 decade ago

Unless you played RAGE when it came out. lol...

But yea, I understand I guess. I have always seen ATI being in the budget market and nVidea better in the "holy shit" market personally. I have just been with EVGA for so long, I just can't imaging using anything else.

1 decade ago

There is little room for loyalty these days. You kind of just have to go with the best you can get. AMD not so good with processors, but they are with graphics cards. I personally have a 7970 and I couldn't be happier. I recently had to pick from all that were out there and I found the AMD choice to be one of the easiest I had to make on a computer I was building.

1 decade ago

the nVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 is worth the extra 20 USD over the nVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost Edition because the minimum nVIDIA GeForce series graphics card to receive the free bonus game Metro Last Light is the nVIDIA GeForce GTX 660. the minimum AMD Radeon series graphics card to receive free bonus games in AMD's never settle bundle is the AMD HD 7770, however the AMD Radeon HD 7850 includes an upgraded version of AMD's never settle bundle. AMD's equivalent of the nVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost Edition is the Radeon HD 7850. the nVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 performs between the AMD Radeon HD 7850 and 7870.

in conclusion, if can spare around 188 to 200 USD, buy the nVIDIA GeForce GTX 660. if not the AMD Radeon HD 7850 is a good alternative.

1 decade ago

The Radeon here is a lot superior card than the GTX 650Ti. End of story.

1 decade ago

1 decade ago

1 decade ago

I only buy nVidia (because of coding stuff on it and also PhysX).
Having said that, I'm not a fanboy and even without checking any site I can tell you for the same bucks you'll always get a slightly faster gfx card if you buy AMD on that price range.

1 decade ago

7850 is better.

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by Xargothraxas.