https://www.techspot.com/news/85332-g2a-agrees-pay-factorio-dev-40000-selling-stolen.html

Indie developer Wube Software, best known for the creation of ultra-popular factory sim Factorio, handed G2A a list of 321 keys that had allegedly been sold illegitimately through the site. After an investigation, G2A kept its word, and agreed to pay Wube a whopping $39,600 in compensation for bank-initiated chargebacks.

However, G2A has made it clear now that the deal was a one-time offer. Moving forward, with the company's point about the "seriousness of fraud in the industry" having been made, it will only compensate developers for their actual losses; the 10x multiplier will not apply

3 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Do you buy games from sites ike G2A?

View Results
Yes
No

I only purchase keys from key reseller websites when the publisher doesn't deserve the money. Like Borderlands 3. F you, Randy.

But indie game I always purchase directly in the store to support those guys and everybody should, really.

3 years ago

exactly! Also factorio is great game and you can buy it directly from devs site if you want to. got it for my brother he got 150 hours out of it

3 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

3 years ago

We are talking about Randy Pitchford here, who fucked over all of the devs of Borderlands 3, made a deal to get himself millions of dollars before the game even came out and is a real scumbag alltogether.

3 years ago

Deleted

3 years ago

So with that kind of reasoning stealing is also ok, as long as you just steal from scumbags?

3 years ago

If something is being reselled by someone, developers already got the money in the first sell (unless the first sell was a fraud). If you think they deserve your money, donate to them directly. Otherwise, you'll have to defend some kind of "developer taxes" for trades and every other later resell.

3 years ago

and EA games, big F to em

3 years ago

One time i had issues and got my money back in wallet (still had to pay their fee again), another time i got a game that was different then advertised and so i gave all my screenshots as proof, and they were like screw it, you don't get anything back, so now i am saying screw you i will go elsewhere.

3 years ago

Yeah it seems g2a are quite naughty. I used another reseller a few times (it was a long time ago, so I don't remember which one), and I remember one time I got a key for a wrong game (which I already had). I sent them a ticket with a bunch of screenshots as required, and not only the refunded me the purchase (in wallet funds), but they also sent me a replacement key :o I was like, cool I hope I get many more wrong keys :D

3 years ago

One time I bought L.A Noire from G2A (Because it's not available in my region from Steam) and I didn't notice that it's on HB. I still regret it but I'm glad that it wasn't and indie game or something.

3 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

3 years ago

Well i bought train valley 2 from g2a because its cheap. I know its giving away part of humble choice but i dont interest the rest. G2A is like wild west and if you buy something not bundled, risk is increasing but i had no problem with the seperate bundle keys.

3 years ago

But I thought G2A was completely above board and not at all responsible for what's sold in their marketplace? Surely this isn't just some shallow PR attempt at saving face.

However, G2A has made it clear now that the deal was a one-time offer. Moving forward, with the company's point about the "seriousness of fraud in the industry" having been made, it will only compensate developers for their actual losses; the 10x multiplier will not apply

Ah, there it is.

3 years ago*

However, G2A has made it clear now that the deal was a one-time offer

So hold up, how does that work? Couldn't another publisher request compensation if they sell stolen keys through their platform again? If not, why would they feel obligated to agree to giving Wube Software $40k in compensation? It almost sounds more like G2A is trying to discourage other publishers from following suit or suing even though they would be in legal trouble if they didn't settle it outside of court like they have with Wube.

Anyone more knowledgeable regarding legal stuff could provide some insight on why they'd provide this compensation to Wube, but then claim they wouldn't do it again as if they didn't have to do so?

3 years ago

One-time offer for the 10x multiplier, not the compensation itself.

3 years ago

Deleted

3 years ago

Steam doesn't give you an extra copy of the game for activation of the game code. So what should the people do with all leftovers from the bundles? The developer can also use the payment like PayPal to protect themselves. I know thet it doesn't protect against stolen credit card, but at the moment there was added a two way verification. This protect the payment good enough against froud.

3 years ago

The "we'll pay 10x" was originally a bluff on their part, thinking that nobody would be able to sufficiently follow through on the proof side of things. It was originally phrased as a pledge by the company as to make them seem like they were confident in their business model / quality of service.

While most places would just invent an excuse and not pay up at all, they did still shrink away from the whole pledge thing the second the bluff was called, and not paying up even the once would have pretty much been the final nail in whatever image they try to maintain. Oh well, so long as they're finally coughing up the money for chargebacks facilitated by their service.

3 years ago

I had a few games to sell and it sells pretty high sometimes on kinguin but you can't cashout, you must spend the money on Knguin.

3 years ago

Pretty sure that's not true

3 years ago

no he is right

3 years ago

" Fees:
Kinguin charges 11% + 0.35 € commission per sold item and 0.35 € insertion fee per listing for every 60 day period. The commission + 4% payment gateway fee will be added to the price of the products. Basically, you will enter the amount you would like to receive for the game and the system will add the obligatory fees and EU VAT to that particular amount.
Payouts:
Payouts are usually done via PayPal in EUR once a week. Merchants with higher volumes may apply for bank transfer or MoneyBookers payouts. Please, note that additional fees may be applied here from the payment processors.
" ?

3 years ago

Yes and he isn't a merchant but a private seller and as such u get store credit

3 years ago

I actually bought some games from those sites - mainly if a game was removed or if the offer included preorder DLC that is not available in steam store (I honestly hate when developers cut content out of the game and offer it as preorder exclusive).

3 years ago

Same, I only use grey markets when there are no other ways to purchase something.

3 years ago

I have to point this one out - you have nick zomby, your avatar is grim reaper and you have sent 666 gifts ... :I feel like I should worship you or something :-D

3 years ago

View attached image.
3 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.