Horror is my favorite genre for movies and I've been working on seeing 30 horror flix from 2023 and I'm currently at 23. I'm currently looking for 7 more horror flix from 2023 and I'm taking suggestions.

I've listed all 22 I've watched so far below.

• Evil Dead Rise
  • Scream 6
  • The Boogeyman
  • Saw X
  • When Evil Lurks
  • Talk To Me
  • The Last Voyage Of The Demeter
  • The Nun 2
  • Bird Box Barcelona
  • Knock At The Cabin
  • Thanksgiving
  • M3GAN
  • Cobweb
  • No One Will Save You
  • Night Of The Hunted
  • Exorcist Believer
  • Dark Harvest
  • Pet Sematary: Bloodlines
  • There's Something Wrong With The Children
  • Run Rabbit Run
  • The Pope's Exorcist
  • Appendage
  • Fear
3 months ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Do they have to be good? Or pure horror?

3 months ago

lol I mean I hope you would think they were good, but yeah, feel free to post any you would recommend.

3 months ago

haha. I mean I did learn of a few bad horror movies this year so was wondering if you were looking for that. XD
didn't really watch too many horror last year but I found Totally Killer pretty fun.

3 months ago

A couple people recommended that to me, it's on my watchlist.

3 months ago

This chart could be useful, though do note the threshold is low due to subgenres which might fit just enough.

https://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/film/2023/g:horror/

3 months ago

I've never heard of Emesis Blue before and the fact it's listed as the #1 I'm very interested in checking it out. There's some others on there I have on my watchlist already. Thanks for the list.

3 months ago

I was extremely impressed by Emesis Blue even though I don't like horror that much, you should definitely watch it! Easily one of the best things ever made with SFM.

3 months ago

I think u already watched all the good stuff from 2023, i don't really like some of these, but if u wanna try ...:

Appendange
The unbinding
Little bone lodge
Hermana Muerte
The sadness ( maybe this is 2022 on some countrys)
Horror in the High Desert 2: Minerva
Marui Video
Good Boy (maybe 2022)
Infinity Pool (not totally horror film)
Birth / Rebirth (not totally horror film)

Bonus:

The dark and the wicked (this is from 2020, but i really like it)

3 months ago*

Appendage, Little Bone Lodge, Birth/Rebirth are on my watchlist. I'll definitely look into the others. Infinity Pool I won't watch cause I haven't seen the other films in the franchise yet.

The Sadness was last year for me, but it was great. The Dark and the Wicked was my #1 horror flix for 2020. Both of these I highly recommend.

3 months ago

I mean "Infinity pool" from 2023, with Mia Goth and Alexander Skarsgard, this is not part from the "X" "Pearl" or "Maxxxine" franchise.

3 months ago

SMH Someone told me Infinity Pool was part of that franchise, it's the only reason I didn't watch it yet. Apparently I got trolled. lol I'm definitely watching it soon.

3 months ago

Happens, too many horror films with Mia Goth recently, btw, if u like "The sadness", try "#Alive" from 2020, (if u dont watched already) is another decent zombies movie from Corea.

3 months ago

Alive is on my watchlist, so I'll definitely get it to eventually.

3 months ago

I just finished Appendage recently. I didn't really care for it. It's definitely one of the worst 2023 horror flix I've seen.

3 months ago

The dark and the wicked is an underrated gem.

3 months ago

Kind of an oddball, but the Wickerman just had a 4K re-release last year, if you didn't have a chance to watch it so far, it's one of the best folk horror movies out there.
I would also characterise Infinity Pool as horror and the Blackening is a fun take on horror movies, although it isn't scary.

3 months ago

I honestly should have watched The Wicker Man by now, but I haven't yet. I'm going to put it on this years watch list for sure.

Blackening is on my watchlist.

3 months ago*

horror is my favorite genre too! what do you think about knock at the cabin and talk to me?

well i watched home for rent and it was better than i thought so i recommend it! skinamarink had the eerieness but wasnt that good. ig infinity pool counts as maybe psychological horror? loved the portrayal of how how bad people will become when they have power/something.
also i heard good things suitable flesh but havent watched it yet, im curious abt it.

(lastly, apparently they remade children of the corn again...why? why.. i'll take everything Stephen King related but still....) (oh i made a mistake, the only thing 2023 abt it is the theatrical release..)

i almost forgot! Beau is Afraid is adventure/horror and it was so weird, i was hooked and along with the confusion, i loved it! (could be a bit shorter tbh...)

3 months ago*

The list in the OP is sort of how I've ranked them so far, although I probably need to move a few around. I really liked Cabin in the Woods, I know a lot of people didn't.

Talk To Me had a massive amount of hype so I honestly was expecting more from it. It was pretty good though all things considered.

I've never heard of Home For Rent so I just watched the trailer, it looks interesting. I might check it out.

Skinamarink, Suitable Flesh, Beau is Afraid are on my watchlist. Children of the Corn is also.. but I've heard it was horrible so I probably won't be watching it anytime soon.

3 months ago

Skinamarink was by far my fav horror thing watched last year,but it highly depends on your preferences and taste. Even when it didn't worked completely in places I still can only give credit for sticking up to unique concept/POV for entire runtime.

3 months ago

The only recent horror movies I enjoyed are:
Watcher
Fresh
M3GAN
The Menu

I see that Renfield is missing on your list, so maybe consider that.

3 months ago

Watcher, Fresh and The Menu are on my watchlist, but I won't get around to them till later this year. Renfield I'm definitely interested in watching, not sure if it will be in the next 8 movies I watch though.

3 months ago

I watch at least a few horror movies every week, so can't remember everything, but I do remember all the holiday-themed ones were shit last year (there's someone in the barn, it's a wonderful knife, etc.), except thanksgiving. the sacrifice game was okay, all fun and games, the elevator game, snow falls as well. natty knocks too, a very pleasant surprise, didn't expect it to be any good (it's nothing extraordinary but even a half-decent horror movie is rare among all the shit).

the winnie the pooh thing and the meg 2 were trash (black demon, also sharky, was at least watchable), as were not one but two flicks with heather graham in them (oracle and suitable flesh). disappointing. oh, and til death do us part, a creature was stirring, wintertide and dear david were unwatchable (also evil dead rise, so you might like them).

totally killer, mentioned above, plus the wrath of becky and slotherhouse were a lot of fun, unseen and renfield were fine. the jester started out okayish as well (a ripoff of that other mime/clown thing I can't remember the name of), then turned really shit. five nights at freddy's was average at best (love elizabeth lail though). didn't like it lives inside, fear the night was okay.

there had to have been more but these should do. I'd also recommend courtney gets possessed if if you don't mind low-budget entertainment, but turns out it's from 2022.

3 months ago*

I haven't heard much about There's Someone in the Barn. It's a Wonderful Knife I got mixed opinions on, some thought it sucked, but some thought it was a fun movie.

I haven't heard of The Sacrifice Game or Snow Falls before. All Fun and Games, The Elevator Game, Natty Knocks, Till Death Do Us Part, A Creature Is Stirring, Totally Killer, The Jester, Five Nights At Freddys, Dear David are on my watchlist.

I heard Black Demon was horrible by a lot of people. I haven't seen Meg 2, but not really interested in it tbh. The trailer for Wintertide and Slotherhouse didn't look good, so I probably won't be watching those. Wrath of Becky I'm on the fence with.

3 months ago

some thought it sucked, but some thought it was a fun movie.

that's literally every movie (or thing) ever.

slotherhouse doesn't look good, there's a ton of low-budget shit in the genre, but a few are actually cool if you give them a chance. in this case you gotta love animal-based comedy/horror (I do) and tolerate no production values and cheesy acting (ditto).

wrath of becky is a sequel, can be enjoyed without the first. only found out myself after I watched it, and the first has the disadvantage of featuring joel mchale. still good but wrath is better.

3 months ago

Just to clarify my comment about It's a Wonderful Knife. My reply had do with the feedback I got from a small group of people. Most of the time when I ask their opinions on a specific movies it's very lop sided, where this time it was almost 50/50.

I've seen Becky, I wasn't a huge fan of the movie, that's why I'm on the fence as to if I want to watch The Wrath of Becky.

3 months ago

I honestly don't watch alot of modern horror films as I'm more a fan of the older ones (prior to the 90's), so I would recommend films like Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, Dracula (both the Bela Lugosi original and the Spanish version), and, probably the only "modern" horror film I recommend, Tucker & Dale VS Evil.

3 months ago

+1 Tucker & dale, if u like that type of movies, have u watched "Psycho goreman (2020)" and "The babysitter (2017)"?

3 months ago

No, I haven't yet. I'm kinda backed up in movies as is (Recently got Strange Brew to watch and I still got the remaining Friday The 13th movies to watch) but I'll add those to my personal list!

3 months ago

The 70s and 80s had some of the best horror movies. Some of my favorites..

The Exorcist, Poltergeist, The Thing, Prince of Darkness, The Howling, Alien, Aliens, The Evil Dead, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Return of the Living Dead, Nightmare on Elm Street 1 and 3, The Amityville Horror, Phantasm, American Werewolf in London, The Beast Must Die, Night of the Creeps, Don't Be Afraid of the Dark, Something Wicked This Way Comes, Creepshow, Christine, Needful Things, Sleepwalkers, Salem's Lot, Misery, Twilight Zone The Movie, Day Of The Dead, Night of the Demons, The Lost Boys, Fright Night, Lifeforce, House, 976-Evil, Critters, Halloween 3, City of the Living Dead

3 months ago

Different approach. I discovered this recently. And For the movies I've seen in the 2023 lists, it fits quite well.
(Original research by Broadband Choices)
https://www.moneysupermarket.com/broadband/features/science-of-scare/

3 months ago

oh yeah, barbarian was nice too, though the first half more so than the second.

3 months ago

Do you wanna know what's horror?
My current preferred vehicle in Forza Horizon 4...
https://imgur.com/gallery/IZTab4l

3 months ago

I was gonna say "When Evil Lurks" was the surprise hit for me last year, but you already watched it ;p

3 months ago

Oh yeah, this was a surprise hit for a lot of people.

lol That scene.. holy shit.

3 months ago

On top of my head I would say

• Dead Silence
  • Insidious Movies in Chronological Order: (That's the recommended order, but I've watched them in order of release date. I haven't seen The red door yet
    Insidious: Chapter 3 (2015)
    Insidious: The Last Key (2018)
    Insidious (2011)
    Insidious: Chapter 2 (2013)
    Insidious: The Red Door (2023)
  • The Cabin in the Woods
3 months ago

I didn't all of the Insidious movies to watch Red Door, but I should be knocking them out sometime this year.

3 months ago

From this past year. It's considered horror comedy drama. Not so sure about the horror part, I think it's unsettling and horrifying for a number of reason, not plain horror. That said, I'm talking about Dream Scenario.

Other obscure difficult to sort movies that I definitely recommend to a horror fan:

• Perfect Blue
  • Memories (mostly the first segment)
  • Room 1408
  • Kairo (2001)
  • Gozu
  • Visitor Q
3 months ago

Deliver Us(2023)

I have probably watched 1 or 2 movies listed here, not a fan of horror as such.
But the one I mentioned above, can be an okay watch if u watch it fast forwarding occasionally. I watched it like that and found it to be an interesting watch bcz they had a good plot, but the movie itself wasn't well made.

3 months ago

It's already on my watchlist. I'm definitely going to be watching, whether it's in the next 8 films or not, I'm not sure yet.

But the one I mentioned above, can be an okay watch if u watch it fast forwarding occasionally. I watched it like that and found it to be an interesting watch bcz they had a good plot, but the movie itself wasn't well made.

That's sounds horrible. If that's the case why would you recommend it?

3 months ago

hehe you're right. I meant to say skipping ahead occasionally, rather than fast forwarding.
I guess I found it to be a drag at some scenes. But when there were interesting scenes or some discussions about the lore. I found myself paying attention. And the premise is unique but familiar.
Cant recommend it wholly cz it wasnt a great movie at the end of the day, but it was decent at some points. Hence the cautious recommendation.

3 months ago

Hopefully I don't fine myself skipping ahead as well. lol

3 months ago

Hopefully 2024 is okay, I watch Night Swim and I liked it, maybe you might like it?
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhlLO3Nb3sY

3 months ago

Yeah that's fine, I don't mind people making any suggestions with horror from any year in the thread. Night Swim looks interesting and is on my watch list for 2024 Horror. Glad to hear you liked it, hopefully I will as well.

3 months ago

I just watched the trailer for Abigail a few minutes ago. It looks pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PsP8MFH8p0

3 months ago

Happy Death Day n Happy Death Day 2U???

3 months ago

I watched both of these and enjoyed them.

3 months ago

Oh,Ok.Glad you got those on your watched list.

3 months ago

Glad you got these on your Watched List.

3 months ago

Big horror movie fan, but, mostly classics. Up next on my to watch list is Hereditary. I am unsure if i have seen any horror from 2023, afair no. Evil Dead Rise had in mind to but i eventually didn't.

3 months ago

From a lot of comments on social media it's like you either love Ari Aster's work or ya don't. I watched awhile ago but I was really tired when I did, so I need to rewatch it. I liked Midsommar and Beau Is Afraid is on my watchlist.

As it stands atm Evil Dead Rise is my #1 Horror Flix of 2023. If you end up watching it tell me what you thought of it.

3 months ago

Ok ty, may do eventually. I think i still have access to the streaming site that has it so, just need to find the time for it.

3 months ago

I recently DARK HARVEST, and it was a really different, cool movie. I liked the unabashed weirdness of the premise: think Halloween meets hunger games but set in the 1950s (or maybe alternate reality 1950s??) so the whole thing has a rockabilly type vibe to it. You can watch it on amazon tonight if you have that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pge4NmBzdkE

3 months ago

It's in on the list in the OP. I predicted the twist in the first 5 minutes or so. I liked it, but vs the other 2023 movies it didn't stack up well. I do think it's worth a watch though.

3 months ago*

Hell House LLC Origins: the Carmichael Manor is the one that caught my attention last year. Give it a try if you like found footage genre I guess :)

3 months ago

That one is on my watch list. I've only watched the first one so far.

3 months ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.