So ever since I've updated my Nvidia drivers, I've been stuck with the problem that Portal 2 crashes on me randomly with a BSOD. The crashes have no pattern in it whatsoever. Sometimes 5 minutes before what apparently is inevitable, sometimes 2 hours without any problems. There is one thing though, it only crashes when playing the puzzles, not when building them or just being in the menu. It could be that it's just plain luck that I haven't had these in the middle of building a complicated puzzle. This has only been happening to me with portal 2 and nothing else. So what I've done is validate the steam files of Portal 2, reinstall the video drivers, reinstall Portal 2, and revert back to an older version of Nvidia drivers. None of which has helped anything. I've been trying to ignore these crashes for months now, which takes out pretty much all the fun of Portal 2. I know this is probably not enough information, ask for it in the comments if you need it to help me. Thanks for reading and help is REALLY apreciated. EDIT: This has also happened when I played borderlands 2 and mass effect 1, both of which I installed recently. EDIT 2: Got a video of the BSOD right here. EDIT 3: Antichamber and GTA IV join the party :/

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

what's your RIG setup?
random BSOD are usually from GPU or PSU.

1 decade ago

I have a Samsung NP RC530-S01 laptop with an Intel core I7 2630QM, a 1GB Nvidia GT540M gDDR3 video card, 6GB of RAM and a 640GB 5400rpm SATA hard drive.

1 decade ago

I still think it was caused by the GPU... I have a 7870 on my PC it's brandnew and was haunted by random BSOD's as well in BF3 multiplayer (and only in BF3 multiplayer) other games are fine as well. I fixed it only through RMA. it would best to have take a video of it and show it to the shop as proof for the warranty. (I believe it still has warranty as I've searched and found that the laptop model is still quite new.)

1 decade ago

What amount of RAM does your computer have? If you don't have at least 4GB total, I highly recommend getting another RAM module card.

1 decade ago

I have 6GB of RAM. I've never had a problem with running portal 2 until I updated my Nvidia drivers, so it shouldn't be the RAM.

1 decade ago

I play with 2Gb of RAM perfectly.(But I know that I need more..)

1 decade ago

I have a somewhat similar problem, getting TDR's from my grphics card. The screen will go black and come back saying the driver kernal has failed and recovered, which results in BSOD's when playing games.
I clean installed my drivers and cleaned out some dust which fixed my problem for a week. But then I read that you should uninstall the 3D drivers (preferably when you're loading up the drivers again (choose custom install and deselect)) and this has fixed my problem sofar (currently at 9 days)

Also try checking for heat problems, such as clogged vents or bad ventilation behind your tower/laptop that is usually what a GPU problem is, that or lack of power for clock speeds.
Or you know, your card is dying :(

1 decade ago

I don't think my card is dying. All other games work fine, it's only with Portal 2. At a certain point in the middle of a puzzle the screen just freezes with the audio still fine and still having the ability to tell my co-op partner that a BSOD is coming. 2 seconds later, the entire thing freezes, then the screen goes pitch black, and then a BSOD error 116 comes up.

1 decade ago

This problem still hasn't been solved. Any more help maybe?

1 decade ago

I just had the exact same BSOD on borderlands 2. Help would really be welcome now :)

1 decade ago

I just filmed the blue screen, something I should've done months ago, but anyways, here it is.

1 decade ago

Another bump :/

1 decade ago

The laptop I've been using for work has had something similar this week. Seems that this can be related to the power plan (Under Windows 7, this is found under Power Options in the control panel, or te batery icon in the system tray).
That somehow accidentally got set to "Power Saving", putting it back to "Balanced" stabilized things.

Maybe that helps ?

1 decade ago

It's on samsung optimized on mine and it's always been, so that shouldn't be the problem.

1 decade ago

try this

1 decade ago

Doing this will most likely fix your problem. If you haven't done this already after two months, you are very lazy. If you have tried it and it is still not working, make sure you updated the driver correctly. Otherwise, it could be a problem inside the card (but most likely not).

1 decade ago

I'm not lazy when it comes to this. Why would I sit through 6 months of pain whenever I want to play a game like portal 2? I didn't know this was an option. I'll try this, it would be awesome if it fixes it.

1 decade ago

Nope, didn't work :(

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 8 months ago.

1 decade ago

Test your RAM.

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 9 months ago.

1 decade ago

It might just be your computer then? You may need to restore it back to factory settings because this happened to me before and now everything is fine. Hopefully, you'll have your files all backed up so you won't lose anything at all.

1 decade ago

overheat error, had same problem with hd 3650.

1 decade ago

This place is great help! If you are using windows 7 (sorry it doesn't say anywhere what O/S you have.)

Be sure to follow instructions here first!

I used these guys above to eliminate the possible causes.. In time I found out, with their great help, that it was my motherboard.

The reason getting help is important, is because bsod's are very vague about what causes them, Usually it is bad ram, but it could also be corrupt installation of your O/S, bad drivers, a failing hard drive, overheating, or even your psu not supplying enough power for everything else. It could just be the updated drivers, but I am not an expert tech just a guy that went thru something similar.

Because of all this you need to try and pinpoint the problem, through testing the various possiblities and eliminating the possible causes. I feel your pain though good sir, as when this happened to me it was brutal! On the other side of the coin I ended up with a faster version of my computer because I got more ram a better psu and a better mobo;)

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by Hazellius.