(not including monitor/mouse)

• CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Amazon)
  • CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V6 GT 93.7 CFM CPU Cooler ($9.99 @ Mwave)
  • Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($39.99 @ Newegg)
  • Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($63.49 @ Amazon)
  • Storage: Hitachi 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Amazon)
  • Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB Video Card ($128.98 @ Newegg)
  • Case: DIYPC Adventurer-9601R (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($87.98 @ Newegg)
  • Power Supply: Antec TruePower Classic 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
  • Total: $560.40

Is this a decent build for my price range?

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Get 2x4GB kit of memory. Allows dual-channel which improves the performance a bit, shouldn't cost more.

1 decade ago

Why is that better than 1x8?

1 decade ago

Because it takes advantage of the dual channel technology, improving your performance. However if you intend to get 16GB, you can always buy 1x8GB now and get a second 8GB stick later on.

1 decade ago

And same applies to 2x4GB upgraded to 4x4GB.

I don't see need for more than 16GB for budget rig in any point of future...

1 decade ago

No, that way you not only would be stressing the board, it would also make no sense. Better keep it at 2 sticks. If he wants 16GB better get 2 8GB sticks, if 8GB is enough, 2x4GB

1 decade ago

Bit better performance, and the cost difference isn't big.

1 decade ago

Thanks, I'll be sure to get 2x4

1 decade ago

Also I suggest to look for DDR3-1600 price is the same but it also allows bit better performance.

1 decade ago

Yep, didn't even read that. Get 1600 or 1866 ram. The price is like a $2 difference and it's better.

1 decade ago

If getting this make sure it's optimal gaming performance 2x 4GB DDR3 - 1600MHZ CL7 or CL9, no more or less. Less tends to bottleneck (such as your 1333MHz) but more won't show more than 1% performance gain and just waste your cash.

1 decade ago

Why such an expensive case? It's almost the most expensive piece. You could save like $30 on that one.

And get a better graphics card. That is terrible. Not only it is overpriced as hell, it is old and even for its time it was the low bottom.

If you can't spend more, save on other stuff like, for instance, the case and get a better graphics card.

1 decade ago

I picked the case cause it looked cool to me :P, but if I were to get a cheaper case what graphics card would you recommend?

1 decade ago

As AloXX said, a 7870 would be a good choice. Get one with a nice after-market cooler.

1 decade ago

How often do you suspect you'll be staring at your case on those cold, lonely nights?

Buy a case that fits the use-case:

• Big case for lots of hard drives and peripherals
  • Medium case for decent airflow, additional fans with some peripherals
  • Small case for simplicity and ease-of-transport

I use a Bitfenix Prodigy and have an mITX-sized motherboard. One GTX 680 is all I need and I have long since given up on trying to futureproof computers. Every few years I upgrade and the only parts I occasionally get to salvage are the hard drives/SSDs and sometimes the video card.

1 decade ago

Get a cheaper case

You can switch to this cheaper HD 7870

Switch to a Seagate or Western Digital HDD

I'm assuming you have OS covered somewhere?

1 decade ago

Thanks, I'll consider it. Yeah forgot to mention that I have the os covered already.

1 decade ago

I would go with Hitachi, but with a bigger one. At least 2 TB. No big cost difference. I don't know how it goes in other countries, but in mine Hitachi gives you 3 years guarantee while samsung and wd only 2 years or 1 year. BTW wd green series is one of the slowest hdds on the market. Hitachi have the best performance/price.

1 decade ago

What? WD gives like 5 or 7 years of warrenty.

1 decade ago

5 yeas only for black series, and those cost more money...

1 decade ago

Like others have said, please get a cheaper case. You can find one on eBay for $1 Brand New (not kidding) and see if they have local shipping. Switch to a better video card and buy dual channel ram. 4GB x 2 is faster than 8GB x 1. Also wait until Black Friday, prices will drop at least 50%.

1 decade ago

Corsair 200r case or HAF 912 and change cpu cooler to the plus or evo for that coolermaster thing and get the seagate or western digital hdd

1 decade ago

Graphic card for gaming shouldn't be below the Nvidia x60 series. x50 can still run games, but mostly designed for apps instead. Get a 560GTX, 660Ti, etc.

1 decade ago

Tek syndicate offer some ideas..

APU rig http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-4XFpMZgnQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGrvRItaCDY

If you want to be a little more future proof I'd got for the 8core, i think last i looked it was about 50 more.

You should also check out their forums and ask there as there is plenty of experts and people that know their tech to date.

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by Hotax.