... for those who don't like having to meet Hanako at Embers

Lvl 2+
Not available in Russia and Belarus

5 months ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Bump!

5 months ago

No clue, all I can say is it's definitely not "purely by the book" since I've tried all the options. Making it an svg file already adds complexity. The only thing I've been able to find is that the file seems larger than it should be at 2.94 MB but I'm completely unfamiliar with svg files so maybe that's normal. I found it an intriguing puzzle but ultimately frustrating, especially finding a good online picture editor which is often the case which these kinds of puzzles. Perhaps it is easy with the right tool, or knowledge but I could not find it. Zelgh's guide is no use other than it may point you in the right direction to look. Anyway didn't mean to sound negative, good luck to everyone that figured it out. Have a bump.

5 months ago

90% of the time i cant solve your puzzles so i usually don't even bother but i really wanted to enter this one because i got every other achievement in the base game. unfortunately as always this one is too hard for me 😥
i'll wait to see the solution

5 months ago

Nick: svg image -> text format, look for things in there, especially top or bottom, check other hints in this thread, you got this :)

5 months ago

does it maintain everything if I use "save as"?
Tried a lot of things, didn't find the thingy this way, thought it was something else.
Maybe found something but sgtools doesn't get it.

5 months ago*

save as should work fine - this puzzle does not use SGtools

5 months ago

got it, then that was a weird coincidental find :D
Gotta look into it, thanks for very convenient tips :D
Been trying to crack it for a while

5 months ago

found it last minute 🤣
i can't believe i was so dumb, i was overthinking

5 months ago

I'm ready to be embarrassed by not finding it ._.

So what was it, I had been staring at the matrixes and thought maybe something was in them?

5 months ago*

SVG is a text based format (XML). If you open the file in a text editor (or view source in your browser) you can see how it's made. Scrolling to the bottom would show a few lines that were commented out. Uncommenting those lines, saving the file, and then reopening it in the browser would show the giveaway code in the image.

5 months ago

OOOOOH, I tried deleting the whole comment, thought it might help. Okay, I would've not been able to solve it, I'm ass in programming :D
Would not have thought of doing it :D
I even thought that there are letters in the picture itself.
Like the earrings looks like rK, in her left eye (right for us) there was a "v" and "r" if you were really trying to convince yourself :D and a 0 for her right eye (left for us)
Thanks for explaining though, much appreciated

5 months ago*

I see, very specific technical information was needed.

5 months ago

I mean a simple search would've shown it was XML, looking at the whole thing in inspect element would've shown the green comment, and searching commenting on XML would've told you to remove the outer <!--s. Additionally, searching how to hide things in SVGs would've told you about commenting to hide it.

5 months ago

In hindsight it's easy to say: oh but it's so easy. I opened the file several times with a text editor. While that part did stand out a little from the rest, for a non-programmer it isn't obvious. Also that an SVG file is written as an XML file didn't really help. Opening it in google chrome shows the relevant part in grey for me, not green (which made it stand out even less as something important). Also how would I know to search for those specific symbols when the document is filled with all kinds of programmer language? Searching for "how to hide things in SVG" gives a plethora of technical information none of it mentioning "commenting". I'm not mad or anything, but it does require specific knowledge to solve.

5 months ago*

Don't feel bad. Only 15 entrants. It wasn't easy for everyone.

5 months ago

Yeah I wasn't trying to belittle I'm sorry. I just was trying to explain how to do it with little knowledge and I see now it came across poorly.

I did try to download it which lost the comments, but i would definitely look into inspect element (chrome developer tools) as they're typically how things are hidden. I found the commenting thing via google but now trying to refind it from a fresh search is difficult. I will say adding "ctf" to searches about hiding things inside images is also a great tool to learn bc ctf - capture the flag - is all about learning how to find things inside data.

5 months ago

No worries, I learned something new from this puzzle at least. And I don't blame OP for not wanting to make it too easy either. I've never heard of "ctf" before (outside of gaming) so I will keep that in mind for next time. I hope whomever won truly enjoys it, such an amazing GA.

Edit: Oh you won it :D That's amazing, enjoy.

5 months ago

Thank you! Will do. CTF is capture the flag and it's cybersecurity competitions that have writeups. I compete in some of them which def helps solve puzzles here (actually I started here and moved on to CTFs) but those writeups are def great. Also I can recommend the website cyberchef to decrypt certain puzzles as well as dcode for ciphers.

5 months ago

Wow. Yeah that was way too technical for me. I guess I should learn some programming basics if I want to solve some of the puzzles around here XD
Always cool to learn something new so thank you for taking the time to detail the process.

5 months ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.