First with the steam link question. Do I need the steam controller for it to work properly? I figured I don't have much to lose for $2.50 but if I have to have to have the steam controller its a no go. But more importantly I'm looking for some games to get during the steam sale. I'm looking for some underground titles specifically because if its anything like a AAA title than its likely iv already looked into it. I'm into open world, looter shooters but I'm open to hear suggestions for any type of game really. Thanks and good (deal) hunting!!

5 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

get steam link?

View Results
steamy yes
steamy no
steamy potato

You don't need a steam controller, I've been using it with my xbox 360 controller. Also, it's not gonna be $2.50 with shipping. Still worth it tho

5 years ago

good to know thanks

5 years ago

If you like puzzle game, you might enjoy Recursed.

5 years ago

actually looks pretty good, good reviews too thanks

5 years ago

I'm trying to decide on the steam link as well. I'll have to use it over wireless, and I've read mostly negative reviews of its wireless capabilities.

5 years ago

It depends on your wireless. I've heard some users with a relatively new router and a strong wireless connection had good experiences, but if you're using it across the house it's not going to be pretty.

5 years ago

So..... I guess us Canadians don't get to even see a buy button or a price. Too bad. I'd likely buy the combo. I want a controller. A link would be good too.

5 years ago

we always get screwed, the prices in our store are ridiculous too; 60$ game? pay us 80$ -- but I don't earn 20% more than Americans do I?

5 years ago

yeah iv heard about that, I feel for you guys.

5 years ago

Apparently, we don't want the Steam Link in Canada for some reason.

Fortunately, we now have the the Android app and I have an Android TV Box. I should be able to get a similar result without spending the extra money.

5 years ago

You do not need the Steam controller - and I would only recommend the Steam controller as a keyboard and mouse replacement for games that don't have controller support. I use my Link with wireless XB1 S controllers and PS3 controllers, but you can also plug in controllers via USB and I believe also use an X360 wireless dongle.

For playing couch co-op or just playing games while relaxing on the couch, it works really well. Though the occasional game may suffer from latency - Shantae and Just Cause 3 were practically unplayable because of input latency, but other games played just fine.

5 years ago

Good to know about the input delay. My fiance wanted to get the link so we could abuse my library from our bedroom but I think between my router and the stuff we like to play, it prolly wouldn't work for us. Ty :)

5 years ago

The input delay seems to afflict some games and not others. I have mine networked via hardwired Ethernet, with the Link sharing a 100Mbps switch with a PS3, and it worked well for Overcooked, Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime, Metal Gear Rising Revengance, and Batman Arkham City, but Shantae: Risky's Revenge and Just Cause 3 were unplayable due to input lag. Others have reported no input lag in those same games. I have an i5 and RX 480, so I don't know if it's something specific to my hardware or what.

If you have the option of a hardwired network connection, I think it's worth getting to give it a try. If you have a modern wireless router with a strong signal to the room, it might be worth giving it a try. If you have an older router, or a weak signal, then I wouldn't bother.

5 years ago

we have a pretty weak signal and my router isn't very new. I might grab it anyway just to try. shipping isn't too bad but I don't have very high hopes lol really appreciate the advice though!

5 years ago

Yeah, that's not going to be pleasant. Unless you plan to run an ethernet line up to your bedroom, or switch to a good mesh wireless setup, you're probably going to get really bad performance. If you have a laptop, or an Android device, you can try streaming to it via Steam or the Steam Link for Android app and try it out before you buy it. I'd hate to see you waste $12 on something that won't work.

5 years ago

While link itself would cost that 2,5 delivery costs are higher. Here link costs in steam 2.75€ but delivery expense add it all up to nearly 20€(steam estimate). Some sale from local store would even beat it. Plus steam link beta is on android now and some smart tvs also have it. You can link xbone controller with either of them depending on model(not promise tv but android usually has that bluetooth...)

5 years ago

lol yeah they don't show the delivery cost on the front page, its kinda sneaky. I didn't know about the app on android ill have to try it out, thanks for the info.

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

5 years ago

Open World:
Wuppo
Westerado
Sunless Sea

Shooters (No FPS's, though!):
Teleglitch
GoNNER

Adventure Games I Just Think Everyone Should Play:
OneShot
VA-11 Hall-A
The Blackwell Series

5 years ago*

never heard of some these, I especially like the looks of sunless sea and teleglitch. thanks for the recommendations.

5 years ago

Probably not everybody’s style, but I really enjoyed Age of Wonders 3. Pretty old, but legacy of Kain series is good. I also always recommend NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer for a good story and robust RPG system. Didn’t age well though (and some people find the sould hunger system annoying although it is fairly easy to manage.

5 years ago

Age of Wonders 3 looks pretty good, thanks for the recommendations.

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

5 years ago

Closed 3 years ago by problemlemon.