Not the best sale, but the free weekend is really nice: https://store.steampowered.com/app/803600/Disgaea_5_Complete__5/

I came into it having only played a tiny bit of Disgaea 1 many years ago, and I was able to jump right in. Some systems are poorly explained, but even not knowing them you can still play.

The combat is a blast, and between the combat and the progression systems it completely hides the grind. I normally have no patience for grind in games, but here I find myself replaying stages because I want to and because it's fun.

4 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

They have completely streamline most of the features from past games and removed most of the "grinding". Upgrading classes is easier, teaching skills to other classes and characters is simpler, I love the older games but this one has a sleeker vanish. Though I still wish some elements were better and they put more "love" into the extras it's pretty damn fun to play.

4 years ago

I certainly never felt like I had to grind, but I found myself repeating stages just to level up characters and complete optional challenges and try out new skills. I probably didn't have to do that, but I wanted to, and it was fun. :)

4 years ago

There is replayability but once you get far into the game it allows you new tools to make the leveling and such easier. The main goal of the post game is to get as powerful and you possibly can and tackle the insanely difficult extras.
In older games this was a chore and unless you enjoyed the mundane grind.
Now you can be more creative with it and it's more fun or experiment with the new ways to buff your party and characters.

4 years ago

Liked the 1st game, will try this.

4 years ago

Keep in mind this "complete" version is missing all the online features the console version has.

4 years ago

People made a big fuss about that. Going as far as to review bomb the game.
Honestly it doesn't effect the gameplay for most people. It would have been nice but they couldn't implement it.
Should they have announced it before hand? Yes.
Was it really necessary for people to have internet conniptions and ruin the release with negativity? imo Nope.
I wish they were as fervent about the DLC character have shitty voice clips.

4 years ago

Gamers for the most part can't tell the difference between good voice acting and bad voice acting (something I learned this from the release of Persona 4 Golden). So those shitty voice clips probably sound like music to their ears.

4 years ago

For a game that has a lot of emphasis on the main cast and their big personalities it sucks to hear fan favorite characters only vocal ques be loud grunts or in Adel's case obnoxious screams.
I feel sorry for the player who paid for DLC in the initial release and got lifeless characters.
Soulless husks.

4 years ago

It's missing the online stuff. I didn't notice its absence while playing, and I'm not sure that I would have used whatever online stuff is missing, but it is a shame (and surprising) that they left out (took out?) the online functionality.

I feel it's a great game regardless, but it is annoying that the PC version is missing some functionality. It's normally the other way around, where the PC version adds functionality.

4 years ago

Would it be online stuff that is a thing for a month and then the playerbase dries up, making it a chore to use?

4 years ago

A map editor, give a friend an items, and sharing news with other players, and other sharing features that aren't deal breakers for being omitted.
Map editor and sharing was mainly used for power leveling and trolling other players with strong enemies.
Disgaea is very much a single player experience but adding a few features to show off stages and your base, etc, seemed cool but the novelty wears off.
The outrage was due to them admitting these weren't in the game after the release date.

4 years ago

Thanks for the heads up might try it over the weekend. :D <3

4 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.