Hi SG,

Our holiday gift box event is back for 2019, starting now and ending December 25! Dust off Photoshop (or Paint) and get ready to share your creative designs with our community and to unlock great giveaways each day.

https://www.steamgifts.com/happy-holidays

How it works

1. Creating a gift box and giveaway

• To setup a giveaway, use the link above and click "Create a Holiday Giveaway".
    • The giveaway will start immediately and end on December 25.
    • The giveaway will be available to the entire community, although region and contributor level restrictions can still be configured.
    • The giveaway will appear as invite only on your profile and not be visible throughout the site.
    • Once created, you'll see your gift box in the link above and users will have a chance to open it to access the giveaway.
    • Please ensure your gift box design is appropriate for all ages and respectful of others in the community. Inappropriate designs will need to be removed along with the corresponding giveaway.
  2. Opening gift boxes

• You can open 5 gift boxes each day until December 25.
    • When you open a gift box, you unlock the giveaway link and are able to enter the giveaway. Unlocked gift boxes are highlighted in green on the holiday page above, and you can freely revisit those gift boxes and giveaways.
    • You will see a notification if you cannot open a gift box. This could happen when the giveaway contained within is region restricted, when you do not meet the contributor level requirements, when you already own the game, when you do not own the base game for the DLC, when you have previously won the game, or when you have been blacklisted by the giveaway creator.
    • You cannot join a giveaway by only having the direct link. If you did not open the corresponding gift box, but received the link from someone else, you will see an error when attempting to view the giveaway.

No spoilers. Please do not share what games you found or what was contained inside of a gift box.

• Do you think gift boxes should contain hints? For example, should we display whether a box contains a frequently wishlisted game, a popular game, DLC, etc? This might allow users to better target whether they want to focus on certain types of games, or if they want to open less popular boxes with fewer entries. At the same time, the hints could spoil some of the surprise. What do you think?
  • Should we allow 5 or 10 boxes to be opened per day?

Happy holidays!

Updates

• Based on feedback, filter and OS changes have been added here.
4 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

it's that time of the year again...

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! ^_^

4 years ago

An idea that comes to mind is to have 5 "gift tags" to use each day, which you apply to a gift box to give you some random information (such as usertags, metascore, points to enter, current number of entries etc) to help decide if you want to open it or try your luck elsewhere. Could be a nice compromise between giving away too much info and being caught out by loads of troll boxes...

4 years ago

Huh. I hadn't thought of this. It would be nice.

4 years ago

+1

4 years ago

Yeeeet! Thanks for bringing the event back! :D

4 years ago

I say 100 boxes per day

4 years ago

My favourite Holiday Gift What's-in-the-Box event

View attached image.
4 years ago

This is my first Christmas on this site and I LOVE this event. So cool!

4 years ago

Glad to have you here, then! If no one has said it yet--and I sincerely hope someone has in 3 months--welcome to SG!

I know last Christmas on SG (my first here) was quite enjoyable.

4 years ago

Can I say this--I hate opening boxes for games I have hidden (SG) or ignored (steam). I don't care if this helps people "figure out what a box probably contains." I abhor "wasting" (as it were) my 5 chances on boxes for a chance at games I would never touch.
Please, please, PLEASE allow a filter to not show items we've hidden. While it is pretty to look at all the designs and work people have put into their boxes, I can do that when I have no chances left. Also, perhaps in the popup (the one about warning you have only X more chances today you could include something like warning: you have hidden the contents of box.

I do not care as much about DLC, but uncovering hidden games is a big letdown. Kinda like when you were a kid and get this really fancy package IRL, you get all excited thinking it is your dream item, and it is something you neither need nor want (for some, this might be socks; for others it might be art stuff; for still others, a book of poetry; etc, etc, etc.). You appreciate the effort that went into the gift, but not the gift itself.

If we could save box designs, that would be nice.

4 years ago

Nothing beats uncovering a 2P flash game that you have already hidden! :/
I hide so many games that in this event I'm pretty much guaranteed to only open things that I don't want. Would love a hint towards this as well.

4 years ago

Choose 2 more gift boxes to open today. The day ends in 13 hours

why all this cruelty...

4 years ago

I picked 3 yesterday in the evening to open today because they looked nice, and could open only 1 (that was cool though)
Do you want my remaining 4 boxes? :P

4 years ago

lol
yes i do... seriously! :D

4 years ago

Random game from "black box" good for chance win, also bad for choose (you like beautiful design).

Maybe need filter for DLC/BASIC GAME, because part user like +1 counter for steam game (LOL, sometime game don't give +1).

5 or 10 box? Level UP for open more box!
Example:
Level 0 = 3 box, 1 = 5, 2 = 10, 3-5 = 15, 6-9 = 20, 10 LVL (max) = 30 box (Very good contribution for very good chance win).

4 years ago

The amount of box per level is interesting.

4 years ago

I wouldn't mind opening 20 boxes each day. But SG policy is an equal chance for everyone. I don't think that giving more boxes for higher-level users would be a good thing.

4 years ago

10 per day, with hints

4 years ago

Would be great to increase the number of boxes per page :/
Make it 10/15/30.

4 years ago

This is a wonderful event. Thanks for doing it again this year!

4 years ago

good to see this event back.

Do you think gift boxes should contain hints?

tag boxes that contain games/dlc marked as hidden on sg. that will help finding something decent instead of randomly clicking based on the box design (which is either uninspired or trolling 99% of the time).

4 years ago

There are a couple of filters I think this should have. Part of the fun is opening a gift box and not knowing what it's going to be, but at the same time, you kinda want to know that there's some chance you might want to enter the GA.

Mac/Linux: I have my GAs filtered by OS, so I think that filter should run across into the Holiday Gift Boxes as well for mac and linux users.
Hidden GAs I'd like to see the filters on those carrying over too. Seems like a lot of people want that too.

The rest of it is just the luck of the draw.

4 years ago

Good to see this event again.
Maybe add tags like they do in mystery book giveaways? It reduces trolling and it also helps people avoid things they don't like.

View attached image.
4 years ago*

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

4 years ago

A friendly reminder to box creators that ownership of DLC and Profile Limited games can't be detected by SG. Would be great if boxes weren't made with these types.

4 years ago

imo would be nice to have, if possible, an auto-send function for these giveaways: nice both for ga creator and the winner

...?

4 years ago

Thanks for bringing back this event this holiday season.
I believe 5 boxes/day is plenty, especially with all the other events and things going on.

I don't have a strong opinion either way about filters, other than I'm okay without them. It makes the thrill of finding something you'd really like to enter and win that much greater.

4 years ago

Just found this which doesn't properly detect that I already own it.

And after a short thinking, I got an idea. What if we are allowed to cancel a box opening 1 or 2 times per day and get a refund?
Of course even better would be proper detection of these sort of games, or filtering hidden games.

edit: I got a second box of this!!!

4 years ago*

Got the same thing.

4 years ago

Hi cg, thanks for this amazing Holiday Event. I have a question that wasn't asked (i looked into previous comments). If one day we didn't open anything, shouldn't the allowed openings be reported for the next day ? I know everyone jumps on gifts as soon as possible, me too, but yesterday I spent the entire day with my kid away from pc and I missed the chance and now I'm allowed to open just 5 for the current day. Just curious. Thanks !

4 years ago

5 boxes is good in my opinion
but
Every single box I have opened so far has been games I already own or on my ignore list

Would be great if the holiday event did NOT show gifts that we already have and/or on our ignore list.

4 years ago

this is really neat, thank you for being awesome...

4 years ago

nice my favourite every year

4 years ago

Really cool event!

4 years ago

Closed 3 years ago by cg.