Enhanced SteamGifts & SteamTrades (ESGST)

An extension / userscript that adds some cool features to SteamGifts and SteamTrades.

If you find any bugs or have any feature requests, please file an issue here.

Compatibility

Tested and confirmed as working:

• Chrome (since v55)
  • Firefox (since v52)
  • Pale Moon

Not tested but should be working:

• Any Chromium-based browser (such as Opera, Vivaldi, etc...)

Not supported:

• Edge
  • Safari

Installation

There are two different ways to use ESGST: extension or userscript. You can choose which one you want to use, but the extension is a lot faster and has a better peformance than the userscript, so I recommend it, although there is no major difference between them, except for a few options that are only available in the extension because of limitations in the userscript.

Option 1 - Extension

It should be possible to install the extension in any Chromium-based browser from the Chrome store (such as Opera, Vivaldi, etc...), any Firefox-based browser from the Firefox store (such as Waterfox, etc...), and any browser that uses the Phoebus system from the Pale Moon store (such as Basilik, etc...).

You can also use the extension on Android through Firefox for Android, but some features might not work or not be optimized enough for mobile.

Option 2 - Userscript

To install the userscript, you must install Violentmonkey, Tampermonkey, Greasemonkey or some other userscript manager first. Then click here and you should be prompted to install it. I recommend Violentmonkey or Tampermonkey, because the userscript uses the GM_addValueChangeListener API to communicate changes in the storage between tabs, and that API is not available on Greasemonkey, so a polyfill is used for Greasemonkey, which is not very effective and can affect the performance.

You can also use the userscript on Android through Firefox with Violentmonkey or USI, but some features might not work or not be optimized enough for mobile.

Beta Versions

The latest beta version for both the extension and the userscript is always available in the latest pre-release in the releases page.

7 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Thanks a lot for the answer. Just how does it appear? Is there a symbol or something? (It doesn't say anything in the description of the option and since I haven't seen anything so far, I don't know what to look for 😄)
By the way when I'm already writting: Thank you so much for all your hard work. Your tool is really, really helpful!

5 years ago

Feature request: Hide useless comments in the giveaway popup, the same way you can hide useless descriptions.

Also, it would be neat if you accepted cryptocurrency donations, especially Monero but even Bitcoin would be cool.

5 years ago

When you install the extension for the first time, there is an interactive guide showing you the basics. Did you not get that?

All features have descriptions telling you what they do and where to find them. Some features have interactive guides that make the learning process easier, but it will take a while until I add interactive guides for all features.

5 years ago

Enter / Leave Giveaway Button: remove option to show description and make it mandatory

https://github.com/gsrafael01/ESGST/issues/1326

noice and appreciated!

thank you, rafael

5 years ago

Go to the "Element Ordering" section of the settings menu. Some feature descriptions are outdated, now all element ordering is done in that section.

The setting bug is fixed in v8.3.8.

5 years ago

You can still filter descriptions like that using https://www.steamgifts.com/account/settings/profile?esgst=settings&id=elgb_f. The difference is that you can no longer enter your own filters, but have to choose from a limited list of filters that are retrieved from https://github.com/gsrafael01/ESGST/blob/master/elgb_filters.json (I'll definitely be updating the list to include other descriptions that people feel are unnecessary to see based on their feedback, though).

5 years ago

Seriously? Reading a description for 2 seconds is so horrible that you prefer to maintain your own fork of the extension? Well, by all means, good luck.

5 years ago

To show the description of the giveaway.

5 years ago

By the way, you can use https://www.steamgifts.com/account/settings/profile?esgst=settings&id=elgb_f to filter some descriptions like "GL: HF", "Enjoy", etc...

5 years ago

Just wanted to say that you better draft a response for the GA description change and copy paste it.
Thank you again for the awesome add-on.
(If they don't like your settings they can make their own add-on...)

5 years ago

i see old version best from new its easily and dont have many option and let me search on them and i didnt see any bug in it while used it
BTW small description isnt bad but big ones is who is bad

5 years ago

Even better, because then the request doesn't come from my extension. I'd advise anyone who is that annoyed by it to do this. Only downsides are that when you enter giveaways from the Extended SteamGifts button, it won't interact with ESGST (for example, for filters, bookmarks, entry tracker, saving data, etc.). But I guess those are all unimportant things, because seeing a description popup for 1 second? UNACCEPTABLE!

But it means they won't be able to use it without loading it manually (at least on Firefox, because Chrome didn't offer old versions anyway).

5 years ago*

Honestly, I've always been on the other side of the argument (that not reading giveaway descriptions is wrong). Even all of those times I ended up making it optional again, I still believed it was wrong. The only reason why I always ended up making it optional again is because I could never deal with the complaints and people saying "I'll just stay in an old version then".

I always try my best to ensure the best experience for the users. That's the reason why this extension is so huge. It got here with 95% of user suggestions. My vision for it was never for it to become this big (all I wanted when I made it was to have a way to know who was replying to whom when the comments no longer indent, because that used to drive me crazy :P), but as users started asking for things to make their experience better, I always tried my best to implement it as soon as possible, because why not? So the idea of some users staying in old versions bothers me, because it means they can't update to better versions with bug fixes and new enhancements / features.

But I think I can cope better with the complaints this time, specially since I've already done an unpopular update this year by deprecating the userscript (that also got a few complaints, but I didn't bring it back).

Also, this wasn't random. I didn't just wake up that day and decided to make it mandatory again. I was reading a series of discussions here on SteamGifts last week that prompted me to make this decision.

5 years ago

Considering your are ignoring people asking why you changed it I can't imagine there is a good one. And if you are going to say something along the lines that people don't read the description/info/advertising from the GA creator then, I am going to say that is a pretty bad one since you can just ignore everything that it says in the description anyways.

Oh and if you would be so nice can you add "PA and PoP rules apply." and "Please no comments unless there is something important or you are the winner." to the exception list? I use them on almost all my giveaways and they always written the same and don't want people to get popups just because they are there.

That ain't my problem ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5 years ago

I already answered it. It doesn't matter if you can ignore it, what matters is that ESGST enforces it. By your logic, SteamGifts also shouldn't show the descriptions, because "people can just ignore them anyway".

Exactly.

5 years ago

a) Except things change in this extension left and right. It's in constant development, which is why it's advisable to always read the changelog when a new version is out.
b) The reason is obvious: to enforce that giveaway descriptions are shown and, hopefully, read.
c) Really? You're gonna get annoyed by the words I decided to use?
d) I've always done this. A few months ago, I deleted all versions prior to v8 (and before that I deleted all versions prior to v7.20, and so on...). A few weeks ago, I deleted all versions prior to v8.1. I only went further and deleted all of them this time because it's a change that can be exploited by remaining on old versions.

And this is not the first time I've erased the history on GitHub, I often do it when there are too many commits and I want to clean things out a bit.

5 years ago

This and this didn't get an answer, but I saw you did answer on the next page now, so nevermind.

No, because if people do want to read them they could open it and it would be there, but this way you make everyone open it if for no reason if they want to read it or not.

hopefully, read.

good luck with that one.

And don't get me wrong, I do read almost every single one of the group/whitelist/wishlist/DLC/pack GA descriptions, it is just the public ones I can't be arsed because 99% of the time are absolutely nothing of any use and are a waste of time.

5 years ago

I'm with Mouse on this. Reading the descriptions on group/private/train GAs makes sense. Public descriptions more often than not are garbage and if the people making them really wanted to be read they wouldn't make them public.

5 years ago

I had a nice custom filter which I build myself, to filter way more oneliner and descriptions I encountered often which didn't really add anything (why more then the 7 options now)
It's now gone, but is there an option to let us filter a bit more then the few standard things

5 years ago

Can you provide links to those discussions? I've personally never written a description that I cared about anyone reading, so I'm curious to know why some users want to try to force people to read their descriptions.

The thing is, though, I've never read descriptions, not even before I started using ESGST when I had to open each giveaway individually. So I'm not sure what the mandatory pop-up accomplishes other than being a slight annoyance to have to close it after entering each giveaway.

As for people complaining about changes (be it this one or others), users often get upset when something in an app (or extension in this case) suddenly changes and messes up their workflow without some kind of warning ahead of time. Unfortunately, most users don't read changelogs (or manuals for that matter), so they're just like, "WTF?" when something changes. That said, I'm also aware that you're one person working on what has become a monster of an extension and also dealing with conflicting user feedback, so I both appreciate the hard work you've done and don't envy your position.

5 years ago

You've just forced everybody to read description of every giveaway, which I do not agree with. Previously I used filters to filter out a lot of descriptions I automatically agree with (such as giveaway deletion notice), meaningless or otherwise useless, such as images-only. I do not plan to publish all my filters, not just because they're not generic enough, but also because I don't intend to add them to your approved list of filters. Those are my filters, not generic picks for casual users. If I can't add my own filters (including .* if I wish to do so), then this addon no longer satisfies my previous usage.

I'm not going to get into argument here, because I really have better stuff to do, so I'll only ask a simple genuine question - do you plan adding customized description filters back, or should I fork ESGST and maintain a working copy myself, the way I see fit (and obviously sharing it with everybody else who doesn't agree with your change, which will most likely cause the split over a fork you'd rather want to avoid).

Not to mention other stuff you did, such as erasing GitHub history, which didn't provide any security against people that are capable of reading the code (such as me), while being a huge middle finger towards all your contributors and people that decided to support you. You didn't just decide to remove the feature, but made your best to annoy everybody less experienced with the code, just so they can't add it back easily, which goes against the spirit of OSS. Just because I don't want to see some people doing awful things with ASF doesn't make me salty to the point of adding traps for them and acting against OSS spirit. You're the project lead and you should make your best to maintain the project in as good way as possible, because this is why you're sharing it here in the first place. Removing valid features with even more valid usages, that are already implemented, require less maintenance than new system, and are a huge step back is simply put stupid, but fully your decision that you're entitled to, same as mine whether I agree with that and keep using your project or I decide to fork it and change it the way I see fit. Since the code you published so far is under MIT license (and you can't change the license retroactively, unlike GitHub history), I'm most likely just going to maintain my own version of ESGST if I can't expect that from you.

Thanks for answering, and I still hope you can think it through.

5 years ago*

The change that forces giveaway descriptions on you when you click enter button is bad in my opinion. It will just annoy people, without it actually serving any real purpose because people who don't want to read description can just quickly click outside of that box to close it.

So you're not actually accomplishing anything with it, other than annoying probably a good deal of your supporters and consumers.

I personally like to check the descriptions of giveaways I'm interested in, but I don't check descriptions from people whose descriptions are always the same or for giveaways I enter just to point-scum (which I rarely do nowadays since I don't enter nearly as many giveaways as I used to so I always have full points).

5 years ago*

I have a compromise. Maybe. You can add option to turn popup window into notification-OSD-non-blocking-popup, which will automatically hide out in X seconds (another option). So all users will be softly forced to see description, but it won't hurt anyone who doesn't read them at all.

5 years ago

So now we must see every amazing description like "GL HF" or "Don't forget to mark as received". Great idea... I like seeing some nice descriptions, but not being able to filter those spammy, uncreative text messages? Showing descriptions can stay as a forced option, just gimme back my filters.

5 years ago

Calm down, the history can be easily restored (which I've just done).

That has nothing to do with "OSS spirit". I won't allow my extension to be used for doing awful things officially. If someone wants to use my code to do those things, then yes, I'll try my best to annoy them and make them work harder for it. A while ago the extension had a flaw that allowed users to check millions of users with Whitelist / Blacklist Checker at once. That's millions of requests that the extension would be making to SteamGifts. I fixed that flaw silently (without mentioning it in the changelog or opening an issue for it) and deleted all older versions of the extension at the time to prevent less experienced users from exploiting the flaw. Did that stop more experienced users from exploiting the flaw? No, and one user in particular did fork the extension only to remove any limits in the Whitelist / Blacklist Checker so they could make uncontrolled requests to SteamGifts and stress the servers. Can I stop that? No, because that's the price I pay for wanting to be transparent and share the code with everyone, but the less experienced users can no longer exploit the flaw easily. Should I not have done that, in the name of "OSS spirit"?

The only way that I would consider bringing the custom filters back would be if they were only added through the button in the popup (which would prevent the use of regular expressions) or if filters like .* were blocked (because that's essentially the same as having an option to disable the description popup altogether). And since you claim in your post that even if you can't add .* it doesn't satisfy your usage, then feel free to fork the project. But just know that the minute you do, I'll go closed-source, because I won't support a fork that does something I disapprove of receiving new updates from me.

I hope you can think it through, because I really want to keep this project open-source, and it would be a shame to ruin the extension over something as pathetic as a simple popup that can be dismissed in 1 second. But if you decide to go through with it, I just ask that you use a different name for your fork, because it will confuse the users to have two ESGSTs, specially if you decide to distribute your fork in the Chrome / Firefox stores.

5 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.