Enhanced SteamGifts & SteamTrades (ESGST)

An extension / userscript that adds some cool features to SteamGifts and SteamTrades.

If you find any bugs or have any feature requests, please file an issue here.

Compatibility

Tested and confirmed as working:

• Chrome (since v55)
  • Firefox (since v52)
  • Pale Moon

Not tested but should be working:

• Any Chromium-based browser (such as Opera, Vivaldi, etc...)

Not supported:

• Edge
  • Safari

Installation

There are two different ways to use ESGST: extension or userscript. You can choose which one you want to use, but the extension is a lot faster and has a better peformance than the userscript, so I recommend it, although there is no major difference between them, except for a few options that are only available in the extension because of limitations in the userscript.

Option 1 - Extension

It should be possible to install the extension in any Chromium-based browser from the Chrome store (such as Opera, Vivaldi, etc...), any Firefox-based browser from the Firefox store (such as Waterfox, etc...), and any browser that uses the Phoebus system from the Pale Moon store (such as Basilik, etc...).

You can also use the extension on Android through Firefox for Android, but some features might not work or not be optimized enough for mobile.

Option 2 - Userscript

To install the userscript, you must install Violentmonkey, Tampermonkey, Greasemonkey or some other userscript manager first. Then click here and you should be prompted to install it. I recommend Violentmonkey or Tampermonkey, because the userscript uses the GM_addValueChangeListener API to communicate changes in the storage between tabs, and that API is not available on Greasemonkey, so a polyfill is used for Greasemonkey, which is not very effective and can affect the performance.

You can also use the userscript on Android through Firefox with Violentmonkey or USI, but some features might not work or not be optimized enough for mobile.

Beta Versions

The latest beta version for both the extension and the userscript is always available in the latest pre-release in the releases page.

7 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

That description popup is terribly annoying. It adds a click where we try to reduce them.

5 years ago

Who said that 1sec will be valid option? There can be minimum value of your choice. Yeah, such notifications can be ignored as like as regular popups can be ignored by 1 blind click. Those who didn't read won't do it in any case. There is really no way to force them, except 1984, haha.
Just to be clear, I use description popups without any filters and read all things. I'm not affected by any of your last moves.
I just like to solve such UI puzzles

5 years ago

Oh, you made descriptions mandatory? Good, finally some people will learn to fucking read once in their lives. I like it. ^_^

5 years ago

I want a faster easier way to spend my points without having to spend an extra click. Obviously we're talking in the context of using this extension and the current change. If anything less people will read them because they will learn to do that extra click automatically without thinking. Personally I dislike the mentality that giveaway creators feel so entitled that they can force people to read their boring descriptions just to win games. That's not giving away, that's trading, or even worse Gleam crap.

5 years ago

I never cared one bit about what I win here, only about winning the SG game by reaching level 10. There still is absolutely no irony there. Most people want to win games, some people want to give away games and some people want to trade away their games for others reading their boring descriptions. The 3rd kind of people are the irony here if anything. What next, mandatory joining of all their social crap channels before you can join? We already have Gleam for that.

5 years ago

Did you mean a level 10 giver with over 10:1 given:won ratio calling other entitled because they want to trade their games for others reading their boring descriptions? Palm your face enough times until you get this. You might be here to maximize your won games and care about it, I'm not.

I'm calling bullshit on the entitlement some people feel just because they give away couple games. They should go to Gleam if they want to enforce silly rules instead of just freely giving away.

5 years ago

No I don't know of anything false. When you actually win something is the time to be grateful, not when having a 0.1% chance to win something. Which is exactly why I despise all the useless thanks spam while the GA is running. So I guess next version will have a mandatory comment field in the description pop-up. :P

5 years ago

What next, mandatory joining of all their social crap channels before you can join? We already have Gleam for that.

You made a false equivalency between simply reading a giveaway description and having to perform additional actions to enter a giveaway.

Then we'll continue forever. I thank you for giving visibility to the thread by keeping it at the top.

5 years ago

Did you mean a level 10 giver with over 10:1 given:won ratio

Lmao, I knew you'd bring up your giveaways and ratio (it's not even 4:1, by the way). That you believe your opinion should carry more weight due to level speaks volumes. Level doesn't mean jack shit to someone like me.

I'm calling bullshit on the entitlement some people feel just because they give away couple games.

Yet you feel entitled to one-click enter all their giveaways, and somehow miss the irony of it all. The best thing about Rafael making this change is that it's forcing people to show their cards. (Even more ironic you saying that after bringing up your own level and giveaways lol).

EDIT: By the way, this is all coming from someone who almost never uses giveaway descriptions for anything other than region lock notices, so don't even play that card.

5 years ago*

Reading is already an additional optional action

FTFY. I mean, let's get right to it. You've already said that you can click through the giveaway description without reading it, so clicking a second time is the only additional action required, and the one that annoys you.

To put it as plainly as possible, this has nothing to do with entitled giveaway creators and everything to do with your own entitlement. You made that clear by announcing two clicks is too much, and even more clear saying you'd autojoin if you could..

5 years ago

Nonsense. I don't believe my opinions carry any more weight than anyone else's, except to me. You're the one who tries to make me look like some autoscript leecher only interested in winning as many games as possible, which is what I'm disagreeing with. You're the one trying to feel mightier than others, not me. I merely pointed out that math is on my side proving my point while making yours false. Level doesn't mean anything to you, does that mean you proved my point about you only caring about won games then? Level was the only thing that meant jill shit to me and I already won the SG game.

I don't feel entitled to enter any giveaways, I do it because I'm using the forums and the unused points manage to annoy me. Nothing forced me to show any cards and I didn't even notice anything changed before reading this thread. There still is no irony except what you desperately try to forge.

I never made any claims about what you are doing with your GAs so I hardly see where I was playing that card? You have an opinion that everyone should read all the boring blah blah in every description, not an opinion that every GA should have that.

5 years ago

There's a significant distinction between considering how users might use the thing you've made to cause harm, and deliberately annoying users who aren't causing any actual apparent harm* because something they do which you've allowed in the past rustles your jimmies. Oh, and then getting mighty salty when users start organizing ways to bypass your attempts to annoy them so you declare your intention to annoy them even more by taking your toys with you and leaving.

*If someone has made a strong argument on why public giveaway descriptions should be mandatory reading material, or how ignoring those descriptions actively harms the gifters, other entrants, or the community at large, I'd love to read it. This would be the key to contextualizing the change as an ethically justified choice rather than moral busybodying. In particular is it possible to recover Issue 1326? It can't be recovered from Google Cache or Wayback.

5 years ago

Yes I said how it actually is, requiring only a second click. That was as response to all the entitled people with the opinion that everyone should read every boring description ever.

To put it as plainly as possible, this has everything to do with entitled giveaway creators and nothing to do with my entitlement, since I don't feel any. I've made it clear by saying exactly that while you are the one feeling somehow entitled to force others to read whatever crap others put in their descriptions.

I would also autocreate giveaways if I could, what does that make me?

5 years ago

You're just making excuses for yourself now.

I make none for myself. I'm here to give away some games and I'm here to win some games. Oh shit, fucking surprise! I don't need to bring up my level, ratio, giveaways, or anything of the sort. They don't mean jack shit anyway. Not to me, not to anyone else, and they certainly have no bearing on this discussion.

But I fucking tell you what. Despite not adding descriptions myself, I read every damned giveaway description, because someone spent some money to make a giveaway, and it's the very least I can do for that person. I don't give a shit if it's a wall of text or a funny cat gif. And if it takes me an extra click for a chance to enter those giveaways, so be it. That's not asking a whole helluva lot, in my opinion.

5 years ago

It was wrong of me to hide the history, delete the old versions and go closed-source, but all of those things have been reverted now. I didn't plan on doing them when I implemented the change, but all of the complaints that I was getting making this out to be an apocalyptic change just got me hot headed and I ended up lashing out.

There have been many of these arguments made, and I think you can find some of them in the autojoin thread. And cg did say that he appreciated the fact my extension showed the description when he implemented bans for autojoin scripts.

No, unfortunately issues cannot be restored. But there was nothing of substance in it. I just explained why I was doing it. To try to enforce users to read descriptions, specially because sometimes they can contain useful information. For example, I was just about to enter a giveaway for a package because I wanted the DLCs recently, but the creator asked that only people who didn't own the base game entered. If I had entered the giveaway without reading the description and won it, the creator would have had to issue a reroll. And if the other winner also had not read the description and owned the base game, the creator would have to issue yet another reroll, and so on... To me, that's a pretty clear example of a harm that can be caused by not reading a description, but there are others.

5 years ago

I've made it clear by saying exactly that while you are the one feeling somehow entitled to force others to read whatever crap others put in their descriptions.

Force? That's just a ridiculous thing to say after admitting you can simply click through them without reading them. You just want to one-click enter all the giveaways. Descriptions have nothing to do with it, because you had to two-click to enter before scripts as well (description or no description).

I would also autocreate giveaways if I could, what does that make me?

Creating and entering are two entirely different things. I shouldn't have to explain why.

5 years ago

You said it's good if it's forced

Wrong. I said nothing of the sort, since it's not and never has been "forced." That's why I find that you're "annoyed" by giveaway descriptions (when it's really just an extra click) humorous. Or maybe my life's just tougher than I thought, and clicking twice should annoy me? Lmao.

Are you agreeing with me on the one-click joining of all giveaways

I've made my opinion on that very clear, not only here, but in several threads prior to this one. It will never change, and you've only reinforced that belief further.

5 years ago

Oh, you made descriptions mandatory?
This gets a big plus one from me. Fucking ingrates.

Any more lies about what you have not said? Just because you didn't at that point understand that it's still not mandatory doesn't change your opinion back then, only after.

You're trying to make very mild annoyance into something major, which it can never be. I never claimed it's huge issue unlike you seem to believe. How easy is your life when someone not feeling entitled because of creating giveaways is the biggest problem you have?

Just like I have always had my opinion and it hasn't changed. If you give away something for free, it should be absolutely free, not just a little bit not free with only some additional actions required. If you still feel like purely giving away makes one feel entitled in some way or form, you are disagreeing with the spirit of giving, not me.

5 years ago

That says nothing about reading descriptions.
No one is forcing you to read a God-damned thing. Worst case scenario, you're forced to click again. So fucking annoying and entitled, right?

I can't imagine the hardship you must face opening a file folder in explorer. God, I'm gonna piss myself laughing.

I'm angry on double-clicking!

5 years ago*

I have always left the description popup on because I like seeing if the creator has any considerations he wants people entering his giveaways to know. Still, I dislike the changes you made. I think it's not up to people with any kind of power to dictate how everybody else should behave, nor impart their morals upon them. Features should not be parted with solely because of ideological reasons.

I really like all the work you did so far, but this decision of yours makes me terribly conflicted. In a way, jumping to the fork for something that I don't even use feels petty, but keeping using your version and backing a decision I'm strongly against also bothers me. I'll keep an eye on the situation and figure it out later, I guess.

Edit: I decided to just uninstall ESGST. Not sure if I'll decide to use it again later on, but thank you for everything you did for the community.

5 years ago*

Hi, just updated and I'm getting a dialog box every time I use the "11. Enter / Leave Giveaway Button" option and enter games with descriptions. This happened once before, and had something to do with whatever that option is being defaulted to on and you were kind enough to default it to off in the next release, since at the time I couldn't find the option to turn it off. I'm having the same problem where I can't turn off the dialog, and putting a * in the filter option doesn't tell it to ignore everything. Could you please point me in the right direction?

5 years ago

It's not that ideological. If you were to enter giveaways without using the extension you would have to open the giveaway and be forced to see the description anyway. So ESGST mirrors that exact behavior, with the additional plus that you can do it quicker by not opening a new tab for the giveaway and having the option to use filters to prevent certain types of descriptions from appearing. This doesn't take away from that practicality.

There are many features in this extension that I disagree with, but they were implemented anyway, exactly because I don't let my ideologies get in the way of that. As long as the feature doesn't infringe the guidelines / terms of service, I'm happy to implement it, whatever it is. This feature is much more nuanced though, because of all the reasons I've posted, because cg said that he appreciated that my extension showed the description, because while it might not be a full auto join it's very close, etc.

I don't get what the big deal about this is. It's not like I'm forcing people to post "thank you" comments, which is something I would never do. And it's not even like I'm forcing people to read the description, they can just click the popup away, like they would close a tab after entering a giveaway normally. How is it any different?

5 years ago*

I'm not sure about other people, but for me the deal is that you're imposing how people should use your extension, taking an already established option/feature out without a practical reason. It's well proven that the system accepts entering giveaways without collating the description/comments to the screen and adding an additional click, and the staff did not suddenly forbid you from letting people do so. So, nope, I disagree, your decision was entirely an ideological one.

And you said yourself people will continue not reading the description, so I question why you think that change is needed at all. From my point of view, if letting people join GAs without the popup bothered me (it wouldn't), I would just reset the popup to on for everyone, and then write and explanation in the notes of why I think it benefits the community for people not to turn it off. Everyone can make the decision if they agree with the reasoning themselves.

5 years ago*

If you were to enter giveaways without using the extension you would have to open the giveaway and be forced to see the description anyway.

they can just click the popup away, like they would close a tab after entering a giveaway normally. How is it any different?

What bothers me is how out of proportion most people are blowing this. If you don't like it, fine, but acting like this is such a monstrosity that "oh no, I don't think I can use your extension anymore because I can't support such a monstrosity". A bit too much, don't you think?

5 years ago

To anyone who wants a simple solution to the description popup you can just add this to your adblock filters.

www.steamgifts.com##.esgst-popup-modal
www.steamgifts.com##div.esgst-popup-layer

5 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.