Enhanced SteamGifts & SteamTrades (ESGST)

An extension / userscript that adds some cool features to SteamGifts and SteamTrades.

If you find any bugs or have any feature requests, please file an issue here.

Compatibility

Tested and confirmed as working:

• Chrome (since v55)
  • Firefox (since v52)
  • Pale Moon

Not tested but should be working:

• Any Chromium-based browser (such as Opera, Vivaldi, etc...)

Not supported:

• Edge
  • Safari

Installation

There are two different ways to use ESGST: extension or userscript. You can choose which one you want to use, but the extension is a lot faster and has a better peformance than the userscript, so I recommend it, although there is no major difference between them, except for a few options that are only available in the extension because of limitations in the userscript.

Option 1 - Extension

It should be possible to install the extension in any Chromium-based browser from the Chrome store (such as Opera, Vivaldi, etc...), any Firefox-based browser from the Firefox store (such as Waterfox, etc...), and any browser that uses the Phoebus system from the Pale Moon store (such as Basilik, etc...).

You can also use the extension on Android through Firefox for Android, but some features might not work or not be optimized enough for mobile.

Option 2 - Userscript

To install the userscript, you must install Violentmonkey, Tampermonkey, Greasemonkey or some other userscript manager first. Then click here and you should be prompted to install it. I recommend Violentmonkey or Tampermonkey, because the userscript uses the GM_addValueChangeListener API to communicate changes in the storage between tabs, and that API is not available on Greasemonkey, so a polyfill is used for Greasemonkey, which is not very effective and can affect the performance.

You can also use the userscript on Android through Firefox with Violentmonkey or USI, but some features might not work or not be optimized enough for mobile.

Beta Versions

The latest beta version for both the extension and the userscript is always available in the latest pre-release in the releases page.

7 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

That "in addition" thing was only meant as an option to have both, obviously redundant information in retrospect but I tend to write faster than I think sometime. Too bad about the tooltip though, it would be nice to have the descriptions turn up when you hoover the mouse over the giveaway instead of opening another window, like how it's implemented in the Comment Formatting Helper.
It's a very nice script though, I especially like the game tags. Thank you for sharing :)

7 years ago

awww =(
i was kinda hoping for this one too tbh. i'm notta fan of joining from mainpage or the description popout, but liked the idea of just hovering some meaningless button or just hovering the title and seeing the descriptions first ~100 characters popout in text form. (similarly to hovering the time by default, or hovering join date to figure out cakeday, or image caption text)

edit: just typos this time. ^^

7 years ago*

2017-04-11 v5.3

• Updated @namespace and @author, and added @contributor Royalgamer06 to the metadata header.
  • Changed the script to run at document-idle (allows the removal of event handlers attached by SG to replace them with event handlers attached by the script without collision).
  • Fixed an issue in the giveaways regex that could allow features that should not run on "/giveaways/created", "/giveaways/entered", etc... to do so.
  • Added Pinned Giveaways Button (partial solution to #87).
  • Added a message showing how many entries were removed and for which games in Entries Remover (closes #80).
  • Fixed a bug that was running Enter / Leave Giveaway Button in an user's own profile page (closes #73).
  • Changed the alignment of giveaway descriptions to the left in Giveaway Description / Comment Box Popup (closes #81).

Warning: If you update to this version through a link instead of through Greasemonkey / Tampermonkey, it's likely that it will try to install another script instead of updating it, because of the @namespace change. So before updating, change the @namespace to ESGST and it should update normally.

7 years ago*

Wow! You just made me disable ALMOST all SG scripts I had! Congratulations, you did a REALLY good work!
I only didn't remove this script SG Games TAG (

And the only one thing I didn't like much is the advanced search. For me, it could be like a default filter (is there another way to do this and I didnt find? If so, forget this), saving the last preferences (like level) and adding another info: how many points it costs to enter (so, filter by minimum and maximum P). Also, not filling the app name would search for all the games, as now it would be an advanced filter.

Thanks again for the awesome features! I'm amazed that now I can just hit "Enter" and automagically see the description of the giveaway (if there is any) and post on it right away! AMAZING!

7 years ago

can you split the Giveaway Description / Comment Box Popup Button in 2 parts?

7 years ago

i actually agree, i'd turn it on if it were more like just a "preview". if i want to comment i'll open up the discussion giveaway for real so i can read others comments prior to making my own, but it's usually a really massive box so that i can comment, when it's only a few words for the actual description.. so a preview of the description by itself would look cleaner.

edit: discussion = giveaway

edit2: other than looks/visibility, the reason i'd want it is for group specific rules. (to see whether a giveaway is open to gifters via description)

7 years ago*

unsure, it's heading was pretty bare so i'm not sure how.

installed:

// ==UserScript==
// @name          Add Prev/Next Accesskeys
// @namespace     tag:oliver.dyas@gmail.com,2005-2-28:userscript
// @description   Adds accesskeys to "previous" and "next" type links (useful for reading multi-page forum threads, webcomic archives, google results, etc.). The keys are 'Alt-,' for back & 'Alt-.' for forward; 'Alt-<' & 'Alt->' do likewise but open the link in a new window/tab.
// @version       0.1.2
// ==/UserScript==

no @include or @match originally. ^^

7 years ago

May 20, 2017 - v6.Beta.0.0

• Created an icon for the script.
  • Separated all features into different files.
  • Fixed some typos in the README file (closes #94).
  • Created new icons for Header Icons Refresher and added support for SteamTrades.
  • Fixed a bug in Comment Tracker that was not marking some discussions as visited from the main page (closes #95).
  • The URL field for link and image in Comment Formatting Helper is now automatically focused upon opening and you can now select a part of the text to use as Title.
  • Fixed a bug in User Giveaways Data that was not updating the data correctly for users with ongoing giveaways (closes #68).

Renamed the following features:

• Blacklist Stats Hider -> Hidden Blacklist Stats;
  • Featured Container Hider -> Hidden Featured Container;
  • Giveaway Description/Comment Box Popup -> Giveaway Description/Reply Box Popup;
  • Main Comment Box Popup -> Reply Box Popup;
  • Permanent User Notes -> User Notes;
  • Permanent User Tags -> User Tags;
  • Entered Games Highlighter -> Games Highlighter.

Upgraded the following features to v6:

• Fixed Elements
    1. Separated the feature into individual features (Fixed Header, Fixed Sidebar, Fixed Main Page Heading and Fixed Footer).
    2. Fixed Main Page Heading works much more smoother, especially in small pages.
  • Visible Attached Images;
  • Accurate Timestamps
    1. Changed the timestamp format to match SteamGifts' format.
  • Endless Scrolling
    1. Fixed several bugs (closes #50) and made several improvements.
    2. Reverse scrolling now loads the last page first.
  • Hidden Featured Container
  • Active Discussions On Top
    1. The ad is no longer brought to the top.

Added the following features:

• Header Button
  • Embedded Videos (partial solution to #89)
  • Pagination Navigation On Top
  • Reply Box On Top

Embedded Videos

steamgifts|steamtrades.com*

• Embeds YouTube and Vimeo videos into the page.
  • Videos are only embedded if the links are in certain formats.

For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD1e0BNNifk
[Orange Sphincter To The Rescue](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD1e0BNNifk)

The formats above get embedded:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD1e0BNNifk
Orange Sphincter To The Rescue

Watch this: [Orange Sphincter To The Rescue](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD1e0BNNifk)
[Orange Sphincter To The Rescue](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD1e0BNNifk) is hilarious.
I watched [Orange Sphincter To The Rescue](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD1e0BNNifk) and it's hilarious.

The formats above do not get embedded:

Watch this: Orange Sphincter To The Rescue
Orange Sphincter To The Rescue is hilarious.
I watched Orange Sphincter To The Rescue and it's hilarious.

Pagination Navigation On Top

• Moves the pagination navigation to the top of the page.

Reply Box On Top

• Moves the reply box to the top of the page.
6 years ago*

That's not really what's causing that single unattached comment though, is it? That GIF seems to be attached in the giveaway description, not in the comment linked.

6 years ago

May 21, 2017 - v6.Beta.0.4

• Fixed a bug that happened when trying to retrieve the xsrf_token from the page.
  • Fixed a bug that was mixing the script's popups with SteamTrades' popups (closes #72).
  • The popups are now repositioned upon clicking on them (closes #83).
  • Changed the max width of popups to 75% (it was previously not set, which was making some popups have a 100% width).
  • Fixed a bug on SteamTrades that happened when going to the permalink of a comment.
  • Fixed a bug in Visible Attached Images and added support for images in the format .gifv.
  • Fixed a bug in Embedded Videos.
  • Added endless scrolling support to Giveaway Description/Reply Box Popup.
  • Added the option to only send gifts to users who are still members of at least one of the groups for group giveaways in Unsent Gifts Sender and added endless scrolling support for it (closes #90).
  • Fixed a bug on SteamTrades that was enabling Discussion Edit Detector in the user pages.
  • Fixed a bug in Comment Formatting Helper that was not enabling endless scrolling support for it.
  • Fixed a bug in Reply Box On Top for the user pages on SteamTrades.
6 years ago

Bugs

• Changing the mac game category color causes multiplayer to display the same color.
  • Can't view giveaway description of your own giveaway in profile.

Question? shouldn't filters show what you want to see instead hiding, for example if i wanted to only see games that supported linux i can't i can only hide them.

6 years ago

May 23, 2017 - v6.Beta.2.3

• The automatic sync is now less intrusive and appears as a button in the header (which you can click to see the current progress), and only works in the main and account pages.
  • Fixed a bug in Giveaway Filters that wasn't running it for page 2+ with Endless Scrolling.
  • Added exceptions to Giveaway Filters (closes #106).
  • Filters for the wishlist and group pages are now saved separately in Giveaway Filters (closes #107).
  • Fixed a bug in Game Categories that was preventing Giveaway Description/Reply Box Popup from working in user pages (closes #105).
6 years ago

Would it be possible to have either a join giveaway button in the popup view description?
Or maybe have an option for a confirm button, when you have popup description after entering giveaway enabled. So, if you have the popup only if there is a description, it would have a join giveaways yes/no at the bottom.

(This is because I have entered giveaways auto hidden, so if I spot something in the description and I need to leave the giveaway it becomes a pain)

6 years ago

+1 yeah, they show up in comments or at the bottom of descriptions. just no star on the header, and it has an error in the console.

6 years ago

the active discussions doesn't load the description to see the identifying [](ESGST-73-66-37-32-53) code. it might work if someone added that code to the title, but the title won't hide it like a description would.

edit: i'm by no means doubting it bugged out and still showed up somehow though, but to purposely allow for that i can't think of a reasonable way beyond a spreadsheet/database submit style. the bot or scans of comments isn't feasible.

6 years ago

Some more stuff from me ^^

There is an inconsistency when hiding entered GAs is on, it doesn't auto update (hide) newly entered GAs unless they have a description that pops up.
I'd prefer for this auto updating to not happen at all actually, could that become an option?

Reload button doesn't work, it just keeps spinning.

Also I'd suggest that description pop ups to be mandatory when using the direct entry button. Read rates have dropped below sad 5% by now, that decline shouldn't be further supported imo.

6 years ago

I'll work on the first two later, but I've already expressed my "controversial" feelings about making the description popup mandatory in this thread. My take on it is that reading descriptions is not a requirement to enter giveaways by SteamGifts' rules, and therefore should not be mandatory. Those that don't bother reading descriptions won't read them anyway (they will most likely just click out of the popup without even paying attention). I personally often enter public giveaways without reading descriptions because they're not that important, so I would be very annoyed if I was prompted the description every time I entered a public giveaway. I do always read the description of private/group/whitelist giveaways though. So it's better to leave it optional, as each person has a different feeling about it and I don't want to force anything on anyone.

6 years ago

SG's default doesn't force anyone to see it though. You can easily go inside a giveaway, hit the enter button and exit without even moving your eyes to the description area. It's something optional on SG, and should also be optional on the script.

People are the problem, script isn't the problem.

6 years ago

SG default ensures that users see the GA description. They may not read it, but that is a different thing. With the script default they can bypass even seeing that there's a description. I fully agree with Tristar that this allows them to circumvent the SG default and makes an already bad-issue worse. I really hope you'd reconsider making this the default for the script.

6 years ago

but refusing to read the description isn't a problem as it isn't against the rules is what he means. adaware and ublock circumvent ad's and those are not against the rules too.

6 years ago

I don't expect anyone to be able to force users to read descriptions. However, the script default significantly reduces the chance that people do, and this is not good for the site, to say the least.

6 years ago

That's like saying comments should also be mandatory to see when entering a giveaway because they're there in the page for the user to see, in which case all giveaway pages should be loaded when entering a giveaway, right? Because the creator might have said something important in a comment, right?

Sorry, but I'm not changing my mind on this. Even if, for example, you state in a giveaway description that the key doesn't work in a certain country and the winner ends up being from that country, there is no punishment whatsoever to that winner for not reading the giveaway description and not entering. The giveaway is simply re-rolled. So the description is absolutely optional.

6 years ago

I'm not encouraging people not to read giveaway descriptions, I'm just not forcing the descriptions on them. It's quite different. What I meant with the ads example is, if blocking the ads is bad for the site, this script should force users to see the ads, right? Sorry, but I disagree with that line of thinking. If it's not in the rules of the website, it's not in the rules of the script.

6 years ago

The creator doesn't expect people to go through all comments because the site doesn't force them to if they want to enter a GA. Creators do expect users to see (though maybe not read) the description because the site does enforce it.

The description is optional (in the sense that reading it is optional), but it's an important part of the site. GA creators who write comments normally want people to read them and expect that they at least see the descriptions. The script breaks all this. It's the only part of the script that isn't improving the site, and is actually doing the opposite.

6 years ago

I think you're contradicting yourself. The site doesn't force them to read the description either. If we're talking about what the user can see, then the site surely enforces the viewing of comments, at least in the first page. Expectation is different than reality. Just because creator expects users to read their description, doesn't mean all users will do that.

They want people who want to read them to read them. Like I said, people who don't bother reading descriptions won't read them anyway. I fail to see how the script breaks this. You can even enable the option to make the description pop up upon entering. So users who want to read descriptions will surely have that option enabled. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

6 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.