Enhanced SteamGifts & SteamTrades (ESGST)

An extension / userscript that adds some cool features to SteamGifts and SteamTrades.

If you find any bugs or have any feature requests, please file an issue here.

Compatibility

Tested and confirmed as working:

• Chrome (since v55)
  • Firefox (since v52)
  • Pale Moon

Not tested but should be working:

• Any Chromium-based browser (such as Opera, Vivaldi, etc...)

Not supported:

• Edge
  • Safari

Installation

There are two different ways to use ESGST: extension or userscript. You can choose which one you want to use, but the extension is a lot faster and has a better peformance than the userscript, so I recommend it, although there is no major difference between them, except for a few options that are only available in the extension because of limitations in the userscript.

Option 1 - Extension

It should be possible to install the extension in any Chromium-based browser from the Chrome store (such as Opera, Vivaldi, etc...), any Firefox-based browser from the Firefox store (such as Waterfox, etc...), and any browser that uses the Phoebus system from the Pale Moon store (such as Basilik, etc...).

You can also use the extension on Android through Firefox for Android, but some features might not work or not be optimized enough for mobile.

Option 2 - Userscript

To install the userscript, you must install Violentmonkey, Tampermonkey, Greasemonkey or some other userscript manager first. Then click here and you should be prompted to install it. I recommend Violentmonkey or Tampermonkey, because the userscript uses the GM_addValueChangeListener API to communicate changes in the storage between tabs, and that API is not available on Greasemonkey, so a polyfill is used for Greasemonkey, which is not very effective and can affect the performance.

You can also use the userscript on Android through Firefox with Violentmonkey or USI, but some features might not work or not be optimized enough for mobile.

Beta Versions

The latest beta version for both the extension and the userscript is always available in the latest pre-release in the releases page.

7 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

I don't like that idea. If someone doesn't want to see the enter button on giveaways, why would they want to see it inside of the description popup?

6 years ago

The enter button being multipurpose.

1. Enter giveaway
  2. Show description
  3. Add a comment
6 years ago

hence the "as appropriate", but I think that the people that's don't want to see the enter/leave button on any place other than the giveaway page "/giveaway/?????/" dislike them in the other places mainly because it's separated from the description and they can just disable the enter/leave button in the settings the same as they can do now
i would also put the comment box there the same as it works now, if enabled shows up if not no

6 years ago

i think having a button that only shows up the description/comment popup and does not itself interfere with the entered state of the giveaway a better feature

6 years ago

Well, it is that way currently. What I'm talking about is adding 2 more buttons to show the description and add a comment without having to enter the giveaway.

6 years ago

Well, the reason for one button is that it's more practical. Instead of having to click 3 buttons to read the description, enter and leave a comment, you click one button, enter, read the description and decide to either leave the giveaway or add a comment. But I do see this doesn't favor users who want to simply read/comment without entering.

6 years ago

you could still maintain the option that the enter button auto open the description, which is the one I would use most of the time, being able to read the description of the giveaways without needing to enter it or open the giveaway page would be a nice bonus.
and on a style note take a look at the SG++ giveaway popup as i liked it very much and when i used it was accustomed to click on the giveaway and then click the enter button for every giveaway that i wanted to enter

6 years ago

Lost ability to use [Esc] key to exit giveaway description popup

6 years ago

i hadn't been paying attention to new features in the last ~45-60days, so i went thru settings and turned a few of them on but noticed "Entered Games Highlighter" doesn't have a tooltip description nor a github description. i have a feeling what it may do if turned on, but honestly not certain.

there are quite a few others missing tooltips, but i already either knew what they did, or they at least have a github description to fallback to.

6 years ago

to help clarify, i don't think there's anything wrong with the filtering itself, it's just that P requirements that does seem off from description.

6 years ago

How do Encrypted GA's work? The code that it asks isn't it the numbers when viewing GA after steamgifts.com/giveaway/THIS/ganame ?

And i can write anything i want to the description or thing inside bracelets? And i assume that after that it would look like a link to those who have ESGST and when clicking they go to the GA page? But what do those see that do not have ESGST?

And i am having trouble. I assumed that the code was as i typed in first line but when i try to do those it throws me into some SG 404 page. So what i am doing wrong? :]

6 years ago

I tried to be specific as possible for the selectors, but yeah without classes there always would be a chance of it being applied where it should not.

Example: used .popup_description.esgst-popup-description > input[type="text"]:first-child + .esgst-popup-scrollable > div:nth-child(-n+7)

6 years ago*

OK, Thanks for your help~ :)

By the way, I am curious about the new sub-option in
Giveaways -> [SG]- Enter/Leave Giveaway Button -> 1.[SG] - Only enable for popups.
I wonder how it works? I also can't find the description in GitHub.

6 years ago

Yeah, it used to auto-sync, but I removed it because it could be annoying if you weren't going to use features that rely on sync. I should probably add to the feature description that it relies on sync though, or make it automatically sync the groups before checking.

6 years ago

Can you help me with 2 aspects of the tool?

1. Can you explain to me what "discussion tables" are? I don't see a description.
  2. How do I enable a "Bundled" tag under the Game Categories setting. It is shown in the screenshots on the github page but I don't see it in the settings.
6 years ago

Yep, I figured that out, but thank you for the reply! I also saw the detailed descriptions in the Github readme.

6 years ago

Any chance of you making the display giveaway description mandatory rather than optional, if for no other reason than to be respectful of giveaway creators?

I'm not a big fan of the entry buttons added to scripts, but I believe more people would be agreeable if completely disregarding their descriptions weren't an option.

6 years ago

I don't believe it being shown necessarily results in it being read. If you're the type of user that doesn't bother reading giveaway descriptions you could just:

1. Enter giveaway.
  2. Wait until the popup is shown with the description and immediately close it without reading a single letter of what is written.
6 years ago

Though I suppose I could give it another try. The way I did it the first time you were forced to read the description before entering the giveaway. Maybe if I show the description after entering, more people would be down with that, because they could simply close the popup instead of having to click a second button.

6 years ago

Yep, plus the popup confusion at first.

I am thinking of making a filter function for simple descriptions like just "good luck" and similar to not get shown. I'd bet that would highly increase the acceptance rate.

6 years ago

I personally would prefer it as "a tooltip" when you hover over the enter button with the description text in, rather than seeing it after the click as a great bit box which i manually have to click to go away.

i wouldn't mind so much if it was relevant, E.g the OP advertising his shop but i just entered about 12 giveaway's with really terrible ascii cat drawing as the description!

6 years ago

What about caching user+description for an hour or something, would that be possible? Or maybe hash them first. So you get to read every new description, not the same "Good luck" 50 times in a row.

6 years ago

I'm already implementing something that will not show repeated descriptions for the same creator.

6 years ago

Feels bad to complain about a great script, checked the settings because I was going to disable the popup but couldnt find it. Now I see why :)

I wouldnt mind reading the description. But its not often users write something useful. I just find it annoying when they write "good luck" etc so my solution was to not read any.

6 years ago

Entering a GA through the [NEW] Giveaway Popup will popup the GA description once again, if it has any. :D

6 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.