Comment has been collapsed.

Amazing price for amazing games. If you enjoy Doom you'll surely enjoy this, even with Doom ports you can play these.

1 week ago

Absolutely! Here huge fan of Doom! This must have and Quake aswell! And few more great Boomer Shooters games!

1 week ago

Nice avatar picture

1 week ago

thank you (=^_^=)⚡️

1 week ago

The look quite ... old.

I don't judge them based on that. Are they worth to check?

1 week ago

Yes, these are the cool games we had back then.

1 week ago

I've never heard of them, thanks for your recommendation!

1 week ago

My favorite back then was Blood GOG

1 week ago

I even played this one in the past. For short period of time but I liked it :)

1 week ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 week ago.

1 week ago

If you love FPS games - yes. You can "upgrade" the experience using gzdoom (except for hexen 2 which uses q1 engine) and texture packs. Check some reviews on youtube. Anyhow the price is really low..

1 week ago

This is nice :) Thanks!

1 week ago

HeXen II can be played using FTEQW

1 week ago

If you like Doom 1993 sure.

1 week ago

Frankly speaking... I've never played it... even back in the days.

1 week ago

There is little to lose as they cost only a dollar / euro, but tbh if you don't lean towards being interested in retro games / video game history, you can just skip it.

1 week ago

Indeed. Those look no worse than so called Boomer Shooters. Hmm..

1 week ago

Age is less relevant when there is zero quality control on Steam. Many asset flip devs still around making games in 2024 that look much worse.

1 week ago*

Do you mean in your opinion this game lacks quality? Sorry, but I'm not sure I got your point right. I agree on the second part.

1 week ago

They're quite interesting, in a mostly good way.
Heretic is like a fantasy DOOM. Some fun monsters, levels are a bit more open and it's more challenging. If you like DOOM you'll like Heretic, it's a good one, though I would not say it's quite as good as the old DOOM games.
Hexen is interesting. It plays a lot like DOOM, and feels remarkably smooth to play. The game has a far more open design with a greater focus on puzzles. Some people love this one, others find it confusing. Three classes with unique weapons gives it some replay value as well. Worth checking out!
Hexen 2 is rough. It runs on an upgraded quake engine and the levels are pretty big. Combat feels good and once again you have multiple classes. Some of the puzzles are downright fiendish in this one though and it suffers from a classic case of "where do I go?" syndrome. Still worth a try, you might find the exploration fascinating, and even if you just play through the first world and drop it afterwards you'll get your moneys worth out of it thanks to the solid combat.

1 week ago

Thank you Fnord. You actually made me give it a try. I will grab it while it's still -90%.

Thanks again for your detailed point of view on those two!

1 week ago

As Seibitsu said, its an amazing price for this pack. And thank you for this heads up.

1 week ago

Takes me back.

1 week ago

Good thing pencil pushers in censorship central(Germany) made the package available.

1 week ago

Oh man, it's been really 22 years since I've played Heretic and Quake for the firts time. Thanks for the heads up, I've just got the pack!

1 week ago

Look interesting, even more at this price, but a quick question for people that already played them :

• Do you can play these games with a controlller, at last for moving + jump (done that with serious sam 1 & 2), or at last use steam imput for doing that.
  • There a easy mode, do you can save any time, and there a cheat mode (i am in general not really good in these type of games, and old game can be really tedious).

1 week ago*

These games were made in the mid 1990s and there wasn't much native controller support back then. There might be some workarounds if you search the forums on their Steam pages.

They feature multiple difficulties and have cheat codes, including invulnerability, level skip and all weapons/ammo.

1 week ago

Thanks for the reply :)

1 week ago

Yes both games have an easy mode (first difficulty). There are also cheats, but you won't need them on easy.
Controllers should work since Wolfenstein 3D and Doom had controller support. Will test and confirm.

Update: So they use Dosbox which does not support controllers out of the box. Possible but tiresome
You can use a different launcher / frontend like Doomsday or GZDoom which have inbuilt controller support.

As a plus, GZDoom will automatically find the games once installed on Steam / GOG

1 week ago*

Thanks for the reply :)

1 week ago

Thanks for the heads up!

1 week ago

Golden age of id (with Quake 1-2) and Raven for me.

It will be a weird moment when I try to introduce all these gems to my son so passionately and he will look at me with ಠ_ಠ

1 week ago

Check out the Brutal HeXen mod, it adds a lot of cool stuff.

1 week ago

I'll add that these Marathon games are free, and have been for a long time. I remember playing them back in 2008 or so. If you don't want to play the Steam versions for whatever reason you can fiddle around with the open source project:

https://alephone.lhowon.org/

And for the uninitiated, Marathon was made by Bungie and is related to Halo in some ill-defined way.

1 week ago

Mandaloregaming did some amazing videos about the Marathon games, it's a really intriguing series

1 week ago

Thanks!

1 week ago

Thanks!!

1 week ago

Thax 4 tip... => Bought!

1 week ago*

Reminder that Hexen is more of a puzzle game than an FPS. Finding all those obscure buttons and items.. phew

1 week ago

Wish they doing Remastered of Hexen pack but no one find out

1 week ago

Hey check youtube there're lots of mods to improved the visual quality of these games.

Heretic - Fully Remastered
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhpojVc-Ins

1 week ago

What do you mean 'remastered'? That is exactly how the game looks like in my head thinking back. 😆

1 week ago

Same XD

1 week ago

I appreciate all the work that comes into these remastered graphics, but for some reason I like to play the old fps's in a small window, in their original, pixelated glory. ;-) I make use of the modern controls, though. :D

1 week ago

Some of the best FPSs ever made! =)

1 week ago

loved these games as a kid, they were so hype along with duke nukem games lol, im sad the publishers didnt put steam achievements for them, would have been fun to achievement hunt them

1 week ago

I think "hexen" means witch in German. But I am not completely sure. I heard this long ago and haven't checked it.

1 week ago*

Jawohl

1 week ago

witches, plural
hexe is one witch

1 week ago

Thank you!

1 week ago

It's also where "hex" [as in, "to place a hex on someone"] comes from, having a similar morphological and contextual association to hexe as "bewitch" does to "witch".

1 week ago*

Yeah, I was going to say that (but again, I wasn't sure about it). Thank you for confirming it.

In my language, Euskara (Basque language), we use the word "sorgin" to refer to the witch concept. The word means "creator" in our language, and "our witches" were understood more as doctors or druids. They were people with a nice knowledge about nature, and used it to cure the rest of the community. It is a pity the word has been mixed with the "bad concept" of wrongdoing witch of nowadays.

Anyway, this it seems a nice deal for 1€! Thank you for your time!

1 week ago

Bought it, thanks

1 week ago

Cool recommendation!

1 week ago

Thanks

1 week ago

Deal ends today

6 days ago

Considering. Heard lots of good about them.

6 days ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.