Hey, so I guess this is my first ever discussion posted on this site although I already quite a while here lol. I somehow am not the type of person to post that much I guess..

BUT

LIS BtS hit historical low today and I am SO tempted to buy it cuz I really really loved the original LiS game.

Of course I also have other 400 games which I haven't played so I really don't know if I should buy it now or just wait cuz maybe it's in a bundle in the future.

so WHAT SHOULD I DO?

and because it's my first discussion here is a small GA (it's not LiS tho haha)
https://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/04t6V/concrete-jungle

EDIT:

Bought the deluxe edition haha :D thx for all of your input!

4 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Should I buy the game?

View Results
HELL YEAH !!!!
HELL NO !!!!

It's fairly obvious you want it and the price is right, so go ahead and treat yourself.

4 years ago

View attached image.
4 years ago

Buy!

4 years ago

Since you didn't say you liked the original, but instead used the "really loved" instead, I'd say buying it is a no brainer.

4 years ago

If you aren't seriously hurting for money, and you want it that badly, just buy it.

4 years ago

Buy it already if you enjoyed the first game, it will highly likely end up in a monthly bundle at some point, but it probably won't get any cheaper than this.

The prequel is a bit short and not as thrilling as the first game, since you already know what'll happen, but it's still a great addition to LiS and answers a lot of questions about the events that happened before the first game, and, moreover, you get to know Rachel Amber and see more of Chloe Price, which is awesome! And do check the comics.

4 years ago

yeah I already made my mind and will buy it and am very very thrilled <: and I also thought that it'll be a bit shorter than the first game but as long as the story is still very good this is fine fot me! thx for your input :D

4 years ago

I payed 9$ for the Deluxe edition back in March. No regrets. I rarely buy anything outside of bundles, so that's saying something.

If you liked the first (who didn't?), then get it. And go ahead and get the Deluxe for a $1.50 more, it's worth it.

4 years ago

has the deluxe edition really that much more content? O:

4 years ago

I'm considering buying it as well, it's just I can't make up my mind on whether or not I need the Deluxe Edition.

€4.99 for Deluxe, which is all time low as well, but also kind of a ripoff... That's like €1.60 extra for some cosmetic stuff and a small Farewell chapter with Max. Not really sure if it's worth it. It's just getting a deluxe upgrade later may be much more expensive. Even though I was very disappointed with the ending of original LiS game, I'd still say, if I get Before the Storm at all, I want the whole thing.

4 years ago

I didn't saw the deluxe version. so I know now that I will definetly buy the game but now I still have 2 figure out if I want the deluxe or not. Normally I am kind of dissapointed of these deluxe packages so I don't know... did you make a decision already?

4 years ago

Yup. I literally decided like half a minute before your comment :-) I've decided to go for the Deluxe version after all.

It's not that I expect a lot of extra content, as you already said: usually those deluxe packages are kinda disappointing. However, I also figured it's gonna be more expensive to upgrade to deluxe later on and that I'll only play through this game once* so I might as well have the whole thing, no matter how small the difference in the end.

* let's be honest, the main shortcoming of the whole LiS franchise is, that your choices don't really matter a lot, those games are pretty linear; meaning there isn't much replay value

4 years ago

I bought it for 8euros. It was not as great as the first game, but helped fill out the cracks. So I would recommend it for that price.

4 years ago

I bought Life Is Strange in 2016, haven't played it. Have had a few friends for a while urging me to GO PLAY ITTTTT! LIKE NOW!!! LIKE SMH, PLAY IT. RIGHT. NOW.

I've installed it a few times, also uninstalled it a few times. Without ACTUALLY even launching the game.

Seeing Before The Storm on a historical low because of this post has naturally intrigued me and if I do end up getting this, what's the best way to experience the series? The original first? BtS first?

4 years ago*

Original first, BtS in another life.

Although tbh, I'd be curious to see if someone who starts with BtS still has the will to play LiS after that... (or just to finish BtS in the first place)

4 years ago

I'm googling what people have said about it and I think I'm leaning towards playing the original first, yep.

4 years ago

oh damn! I also think it's the best way to play the original first.. otherwise I think after BtS some of the thrill will be gon. have fun!

4 years ago

I just played about 1.5 hours of Life Is Strange (the first one) for the first time, I did get BtS also.

4 years ago

good for you :D i hope you enjoy it :D I am currently downloading BtS hehehehe think I will find time to play tomorrow :D

4 years ago

Thank you :). And you too!

Yup, kind of a blind buy, it wasn't on my wishlist until your original post but what I played from ~1.5 hours of the first one was enough to make the call haha

4 years ago

Everything I've seen indicates you should play BtS first.

BtS seems to typically be considered as having a less compelling plot and weaker presentation (meaning it's easier to start with it and move on to something richer, than it is to go rich and then "downgrade") and actually offers character development that makes the experience of the original game that much richer, given the established familarity of the characters and their relationships with one another.

Likewise, since Before the Storm is primarily designed as a straight prequel rather than a prequel/sequel (ie, wherein a prequel answers certain high-interest lingering questions [ie, "How did this key plot element come about?"] from the original game), knowing what's going to happen to the characters in the future mostly dulls the experience, without there being any benefits from having played the original game first.

Well, as much as I liked the original, I've yet to get a copy of BtS, so this is only perspectives I picked up second-hand.

As a counter-argument, there's always the risk that you won't be as enthusiastic about LiS as your friends (and myself), and thus will be even less enthusiastic about the somewhat less-fondly-considered Before the Storm. So there's that risk of buying a game you won't much like. Then again, Steam's 2 hour refund window should give you just enough time to get a good grasp on whether or not BtS is for you or not.

4 years ago

Interesting perspective, and seems to reflect my earlier cursory search about the topic. There are points made for the advantages/disadvantages to playing one first, over the other.

I think ultimately I've elected to play them in release order.

4 years ago

Buy it if you like bitter disappointments

4 years ago

If you plan of playing it right away Buy it, if Not wait.
Me personally I won't buy it just because I haven't played much of original LIS game, when I finish it, maybe I"ll think about it.

4 years ago

Yeah I guess if I buy it (and I guess I will haha) I'll play it right away! <:

4 years ago

I really love Life is strange, and I suggest you don't play before the storm.
Before the storm is not made by DONTNOD Entertainment, I would say the plot is much worse than Life is strange.
The more you like Life is strange the more disappointed you will get, it's still a good game but life is strange is much better, and you will still buy it since you like Life is strange so much.

4 years ago

With more games than that still needing my attention, I still managed to finish BtS. Like others mention, it's definitely not as good as the original, but it was nice to be back in that universe after years(?) away.

Maybe I don't expect as much from these games as others though. Many people were disappointed with the original's ending, but it worked okay for my tastes and expectations.

4 years ago

Can we have a link for this offer ?

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

4 years ago

it was on steam only for one day. /: the offer ended! sry

4 years ago

It was a two day offer, actually. Still a short enough time period that it's easy to miss, of course.

4 years ago

Thanks for telling me ^^

4 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.